Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 10:15 AM

6 posts, read 20,308 times

Advertisements

hi there,

I'm new to the forum and Louisville as well , i was wondering about living for a short time (3 months) in a god safe place . my first concern is safety

so is the downtown a safe place to live in?

I'd be walking to and from my workplace in hours like 7.00 a.m. and 8.00to 9.00 p.m. so is walking to medical center area from downtown is safe or what?

i also wanna ask you guys what do you think of these places
Park Chateau Apartments
Barrington Place Apartments
Baptist
Towers

800 apartments
crescent apartments
Weissinger Gaulbert

i mean what is the bestof these

could you arrange them from the top downwards?

thank you guys , i really need your answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 07:18 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,548 times
It isn't a "bad" part of town but like everywhere, you have to be careful of your surroundings. You shouldn't have a problem walking around that area especially during the times you mentioned. I'm not too sure on those apartments so hopefully someone else can help you out more.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:28 PM

thanks mdawg

any more inputs pls.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:41 PM

149 posts, read 525,104 times
I'm not familiar with the developments you've listed (did a quick lookup on Park Chapeau and while on one site the rating was 69%, it's on Ormsby Ave and that area is sketchy). Baptist Towers looks 'ok' on Google Maps...not that far from Park C. Barrington Place looks better on Google. Some of the places you've listed have ratings so you can get a feel and take with a grain of salt.

Downtown can be tricky as you can go from passing by nice cafes and shops, apartment complexes and the beautiful (to me) Old Louisville homes and run smack into some shady looking areas. Real run down. Like mdawg mentioned, just be alert to what is going on around you.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:35 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
First off, several of those developments are not downtown at all. Downtown is strictly defined as the area north of Broadway/York, south of the river, east of 9th st, and west of Clay street. Within those boundaries, downtown is very safe.

You are looking at all the wrong places besides Crescent Centre.

LDMD - Living Downtown - Louisville, KY (http://www.ldmd.org/living-downtown/ - broken link)

This is a better list, but it is not all inclusive. For the price and location between the new arena, fourth street live, and the medical centre, barrington Place towers is a nice choice.

Also be aware that many condos downtown not listed above will rent. If you can get into a place like the Henry Clay at a reasonable price, that is one of the most beautiful and upscale buildings you will find in any city.

The sketchy areas which people refer to downtown are not techinally downtown and are genrally west of 9th street, and a small area bounded by Broadway on the north, Logan on the east, Brook on the west, and Hill on the south. Parts of Oak and ormbsy in the Sobro area between Broadway and Hill and Logan and 7th are kinda dicey, but mostly ok. There are some nice infill lofts in some cases.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:14 PM

35 posts, read 83,514 times
I'm familiar with a couple of these. Park Chateau is not as upscale..if you will...as the others. but they are decent....barrington is nice, 800 is nice but aged if you ask me. As far as safety, I would say all are about equally as safe or unsafe, whichever way you look at it.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:06 PM

i mean personal safety when i walk to the medical center early in the morning and in the night

what about these places are they active , full of people?
and what the nightlife looks like?

Old 07-22-2009, 06:08 AM

63 posts, read 171,851 times
I don't mean to offend or scare ( not sure if im talking to a man or woman) but as a women myself who leaves to go to work at 6:45am it is still pretty dark most of the year. I only walk from my front door to my car and I live in a nice (safe) neighborhood. Maybe I watch too many crime shows or something, but there are a lot of weirdos out there. I would suggest if at all possible finding out if anyone at your hospital will be walking from any of the locations you are looking at renting, that way you might be able to find out more from someone in your same situation.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:07 AM

thnx HatesWinter2118

i hope i can find someone
-------------------
and what the nightlife looks like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area