U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 15,152 times

Advertisements

Relocating from New Hampshire to Louisville in 2009 (I know, but gotta start planning early!). How is the music scene, especially the blues music, in Louisville? My husband is a pretty good blues musician, and likes to sit in on "jams" up here. Also, we both are pool players, and currently belong to APA 8-ball teams. Because we have a 7th grader, we've pretty much decided to try and live in Oldham county - how close will we be from there to the "nightlife". Oh..and how's the fishing in Kentucky?!?!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 02:04 AM

6,972 posts, read 15,091,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightwing View Post
Relocating from New Hampshire to Louisville in 2009 (I know, but gotta start planning early!). How is the music scene, especially the blues music, in Louisville? My husband is a pretty good blues musician, and likes to sit in on "jams" up here. Also, we both are pool players, and currently belong to APA 8-ball teams. Because we have a 7th grader, we've pretty much decided to try and live in Oldham county - how close will we be from there to the "nightlife". Oh..and how's the fishing in Kentucky?!?!
All are good. There are a few good blues bars, but nothing like you would find in the deep south or places like Chicago. Oldham County is a bit far out and there is no need to live there. Jefferson County (Louisville) has outstanding schools, especially for HS. Try and live in the city and get your child into Manual, Ballard, Male, Waggener, or Eastern HS.

There are pool halls all over, just about in every neighborhood, but there is not much entertainment or restuarants in Oldham County. There are lots of lakes close so fishing is great, its KY after all.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:12 PM

Thank you, STX12499. I've read quite a few of your posts and you seem very knowledgeable. Acutally, my brother is relocating this summer to a place called Middletown or Middleton, and my parents are considering Simpsonville. I don't really understand how it works in Kentucky - there doesn't seem to be alot of "towns", per se..just counties with developments? My brother says he will be in Jefferson County - so moving close to him and my parents if they end up in Simpsonville is a consideration, also. I don't really care if we're in the suburbs or not, but I would like to be in a neighborhood with some mature trees! Alot of the homes I've looked at on-line seem to be tree-less developments.

So are there certain sections of the city I should consider? I've heard to stay away from the West Side..but the East Side is supposed to be nice. When you're searching for real estate on-line (and I've been looking at Laurie Wolberton.com) - I'm not sure what towns to look for on the "East Side" of Louisville. What would be a good school district close to (or in) Middletown or Simsonville, and still close to the city scene?

Old 04-19-2007, 04:34 PM

688 posts, read 2,880,844 times
The good thing about Middletown and Simpsonville is that they're both convenient to interstate access. Middletown is within Jefferson county, so it is pretty much a suburb of Louisville. Simpsonville is in Shelby County, so it has more of a rural feel, although new development is pushing out there from Jefferson County. They are only about 10 minutes from each other, unless you hit rush hour traffic from Middletown.

There are also lots of mature neighborhoods in the area, and the Eastwood area of Jefferson County (right on the Shelby Co line) has some really nice homes along Long Run Rd, Flat Rock Rd, etc (although I'm not sure of the school district and, of course, new development is taking place).

You can also get to downtown and other entertainment areas via I-64, so that would be a good area to consider.

Lakes are throughout the state - within a short drive of the Louisville area you can have your choice of fishing spots.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:09 PM

Thanks again, I'll be sure to check out Jefferson and Shelby county and the city. Interstate access is important to us, too - I don't think we want to be too rural. Funny - I was born in Vincennes, Indiana and got stuck out here when my parents transferred in 1974 - New England has never felt like "home" to us native midwesterners! So it'll be nice to get back in the area. We'll be going down to Louisville, hopefully this fall, once my brother gets settled in and can show us around a bit. I know the music scene probably won't be as good as the deep south, but I'll bet it sure beats what's here in NH, espeically for blues. I understand that KY has an income tax (NH doesn't) and a sales tax (NH doesn't have that, either) - but what about property taxes? Up here, they're anywhere from $27.00 to $36.00 per $1000 of valuation - so if you have a house appraised at $250,000 - you're paying anywhere from $6150.00 on up in property taxes. Any idea what the rate is in KY? I've tried a couple of sites, but can't get the "per $1000 of valuation" number that I'm looking for. I'm trying to take into consideration the fact that we'll probably be earning a little less money, plus the sales and income tax down there that we don't currently pay,and the property taxes on a home valued at approx. $250,000.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:09 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,070,347 times
Smile House taxes

You might check out TOMOCOX on this site, very knowledgable on that subject. Just go to his link and give him a jingle, he is always helpful on that subject matter.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:39 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,529,443 times
For it's size, Louisville has a great music scene. Ditto any of the arts.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:49 PM

11 posts, read 48,024 times
My fiance and I are moving to Louisville very soon! I cannot wait for the music scene! We are crossing fingers that is how we will get out & meet some young people!

Old 10-31-2007, 09:02 PM

6,972 posts, read 15,091,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay2181 View Post
My fiance and I are moving to Louisville very soon! I cannot wait for the music scene! We are crossing fingers that is how we will get out & meet some young people!
The more of your posts I read, Shay, I think you should strongly consider living in the actual city, and the area around Germantown/Highlands may be good for you.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:17 AM

11 posts, read 48,024 times
Honestly, I love big city's as far as a weekend thing. We really are not up to living in the city. I want to be close enough to experience occasionally but not on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area