Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 06:14 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times

Advertisements

How do y'all feel about Mayor Abramson not running again? I say, it's about dang time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 07:17 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,331 times
Personally, I'm a fan. I think a lot of people are going to miss him more than they realize. He's certainly made mistakes, like all of us have. But you younger people may have a tough time remembering the string of second-rate mayors we had before him.

Jerry started Operation Brightside, had the guts to expand the airport when it was needed, pushed the Waterfront Park development, and got UPS, the Presbyterian Church and Yum Brands to move their headquarters here. How many people do just those three companies employ?

Like I said, he's made mistakes. But on the whole, my opinion is that he has been a huge plus for Louisville and Jefferson County.

Let's be blunt. 25 years ago this city was a joke. I worked downtown then and it was clearly in decline. Now we're in the top ten of a bunch of lists of best cities to live. I don't think our resurgence while he has been in charge is just a coincidence.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
I guess I would feel that way too if I felt like he did anything for this end of town. I guess I would like someone who actually cares about the city as a whole, not just the parts that interest him.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:44 PM

58 posts, read 181,350 times
Jerry has done a number of good things for this city, pretty much the things Off Topic mentioned and helping revitalizing the downtown area. Not to mention our local economy has stayed strong for the most part-he definitely helped keep Ford and GE in town and he's had a part in UPS' huge presence here.
On the other hand, like Missy said, anything that wasn't in the downtown area/east end was seemingly ignored-pretty much anything in the South End west of the Bardstown Rd corridor and especially the West End.
Lets talk about the West End-which has been neglected for years. I'll drive through there and see streets/sidewalks full of litter, streets in dire need of paving, boarded up houses, abandoned/overgrown lots.which really saddens me considering that its where most of my older relatives grew up and many neighborhoods around there were quite nice (notably Shawnee, Dumesnil St & Virginia Ave in Parkland, Market St.) up until the 1960's/70's. I will say that he has done some work for parks (such as new playgrounds bball courts) in that area but that's about it. Where's all the Operation Brightside projects and whatnot around there?
And then there were those supposed recent remarks he made regarding Louisville's merger (that the city was "getting poorer and blacker").
Despite the negatives I mentioned and his reputation becoming more sour recently I still think the good outweighs the bad with Abramson.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I guess I would feel that way too if I felt like he did anything for this end of town. I guess I would like someone who actually cares about the city as a whole, not just the parts that interest him.
I can certainly understand that feeling. No question he is much more focused on the downtown area. He thinks that if you have a revitalized downtown, then all the suburban areas benefit, including the south end. And I think there is something to that.

Also, I think the south end benefits from Jerry more than they like to admit. A lot of those jobs at UPS, Yum and the Presbyterian Church went to people living in the south end. They benefit from things like a new downtown arena and an expanded airport just as much as we east-enders do.

So I really think the south end does not give him near as much credit as he deserves. I won't go so far as to say they have a chip on their shoulder about him, but I don't think the hostility is justified.

But again, I can see why the south end feels sighted somewhat by him. They are just on different wave lengths.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:35 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
Default Only time will tell

I am not voting on the administration of Mayor Jerry. He's done good, he's done bad, but at the same time, he's never met a tax dollar he didn't like.

So, as a Kentucky voter, I look forward to seeing how that cat skinner from Dawson Springs and the city slicker will find a way to milk more cash from the tax payers...

Old 07-22-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I am not voting on the administration of Mayor Jerry. He's done good, he's done bad, but at the same time, he's never met a tax dollar he didn't like.

So, as a Kentucky voter, I look forward to seeing how that cat skinner from Dawson Springs and the city slicker will find a way to milk more cash from the tax payers...
Are taxes in Jefferson County really that drastically higher than other cities of the same size? I really don't know -- just asking.

Does anyone have a link to that information?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:44 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Are taxes in Jefferson County really that drastically higher than other cities of the same size? I really don't know -- just asking.

Does anyone have a link to that information?
Property tax rates:

http://revenue.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/B...eBook42209.pdf

While Louisville Metro doesn't have overly high property taxes, don't forget to cut in the 2.10% occupational tax. It's the cost of living in Jefferson County vs other counties that isn't as clear. Oldham County is becoming a very expensive place to live due to taxation. Several of the taxes are unfunded mandates from the federal and state governments.

We live good out here, but we also must pay for that standard of living as well. The cost vs value is still extremely favorable.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
We live good out here, but we also must pay for that standard of living as well. The cost vs value is still extremely favorable.
I was really thinking in terms of comparing taxes in Louisville to those in comparable cities like Nashville and Cincinnati, for example. To all those who think Jerry over-taxes us, my guess is that we are no worse off and probably better off than most comparable big cities.

I think your comments I quoted here are right on the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area