Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:20 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times

Advertisements

I think the big difference for a Black American living or traveling in rural Kentucky and the Deep South is that KY's Black population is largely concentrated in cities and towns and the rural areas are 99% White - the one exception would be parts of SW Kentucky, say from Bowling Green to Hopkinsville. I was just in North Carolina and every small town down there is at least 20% Black, many are closer to 50%. It's not that a Black person traveling through rural KY is going to get lynched but anyone is going to be more comfortable in an area with a lot of people that look like themselves and share their heritage.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:07 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think the big difference for a Black American living or traveling in rural Kentucky and the Deep South is that KY's Black population is largely concentrated in cities and towns and the rural areas are 99% White - the one exception would be parts of SW Kentucky, say from Bowling Green to Hopkinsville. I was just in North Carolina and every small town down there is at least 20% Black, many are closer to 50%. It's not that a Black person traveling through rural KY is going to get lynched but anyone is going to be more comfortable in an area with a lot of people that look like themselves and share their heritage.
I don't know if that is necessarily true anymore, going down Dixie toawrd Mammoth Cave there are several small towns that have several black families.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:20 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Kentucky is only about 7-8% Black as a state. So, I agree with what censusdata said. It's a state where it's Black population isn't as spread out like other Southern states. Heck, even NY's black population is probably more spread out, as we have some rural towns and small villages/cities that are as high as 6-20%, if not more. Places like Sodus, Lyons, Hudson, Livingston Manor, Liberty, Monticello and South Fallsburg, come to mind.

As for the other comments, considering that America is a pluralistic nation, there isn't anything wrong with stating the place of origin in relation to one's nationality as well. Besides, it still has American in the title.

Also, while that incident ended up being different and probably more about egos by both men, I think that for one of those situations, there are just as many, if not more that are legitimate. So, hopefully, people will get past this media based, scandalous and shortsighted view of race/racism to actually talk about real issues in regards to the one's mention from that particular incident and in terms of police issues, good or bad.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:01 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I don't know if that is necessarily true anymore, going down Dixie toawrd Mammoth Cave there are several small towns that have several black families.
Every county in Kentucky has at least some Black people listed in the 2000 census, but a county that has 50 Blacks is totally different than one that is 50% Black. As a 'thoughtful observer' I also sense that most Black Americans today are still somewhat fearful of living or traveling in places that are 100% White as a result of the KKK Nighttime Terror Raids in the Reconstruction Era, where Black households in the middle of nowhere were often raided and the male members were lynched. Generally they prefer to be in areas where there is safety in numbers, not to mention not sticking out like a sore thumb in some town where no one has seen a Black person in 50 years.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Every county in Kentucky has at least some Black people listed in the 2000 census, but a county that has 50 Blacks is totally different than one that is 50% Black. As a 'thoughtful observer' I also sense that most Black Americans today are still somewhat fearful of living or traveling in places that are 100% White as a result of the KKK Nighttime Terror Raids in the Reconstruction Era, where Black households in the middle of nowhere were often raided and the male members were lynched. Generally they prefer to be in areas where there is safety in numbers, not to mention not sticking out like a sore thumb in some town where no one has seen a Black person in 50 years.
That is probably true too, I'm just saying that I have seen black families sitting on porches in several small towns (we almost NEVER drive the interstate, I'm all about the back roads) all the way down to places like Cave City and such. Maybe it is just becoming more common because of the cheap cost of living.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:05 AM

403 posts, read 1,190,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Impression is everything.

As a white male, i am sure I do not see all that a black male would see as far as racism. But its my impression that whenever a minority has something that does not go their way, they cry racism, regardless if it was or not. Like with the gates arrest. i don't think it was racism, but gates made it that way.

I think most of america is open minded/accepting (whatever you want to say there) of diversity, but blacks ( and I still laugh everytime I hear african american, make up your mind, african or american) keep making everything a racial issue.
LMAO at the stupidity in this post. It seems that since Obama got elected President many whites have completely washed their hands of the idea that racism is still alive and well in America.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:18 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephg02 View Post
you're not African-American, unless you came directly from africa. Most people have not immigrated here from another country. on top of that not all african's are black. It drives me nuts that this term is still used. Should I go around proclaiming I am Swedish-Irish-American?! NO!

Why cant we all be just be AMERICANS?!?!
Maybe he wants to call himself an African American! Why can't you accept that? Maybe he doesn't know where in Africa his ancestors are from. You obviously know where in Europe your ancestors are from but maybe he doesn't have that luxury.Give him a break.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:03 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,387 times
likeitis.
Before you disapear.
Never to be heard from again*.
I want to wish you a fond farewell.
And best of luck with your next affectation.
Whoever and where ever you are.

*To just disappear after all the sympathy and attention you generate with these threads is beginning to be noticed. A few people have begin to talk. You must be careful. Don't forget: One person saying the same thing a hundred times is a whisper. One hundred saying the same thing at one time is a roar. Remember, you are that one hundred!

Old 08-09-2009, 11:51 AM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
That is probably true too, I'm just saying that I have seen black families sitting on porches in several small towns (we almost NEVER drive the interstate, I'm all about the back roads) all the way down to places like Cave City and such. Maybe it is just becoming more common because of the cheap cost of living.
I did notice that Cave City is about 7% Black according to the 2000 census. That's not bad considering the state is about 7-8%. Cave City, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Glasgow is around 8% and Park City between 6-7%. All of those places are in Barren County.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:24 AM

Here is a map that shows the state percentages of black people: United States by State - M0202. Percent of the Total Population Who Are Black or African American Alone: 2007
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area