Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 PM

4 posts, read 10,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Anywhere in Oldham will have a problem with a tower. Trimble doesn't have zoning yet. Henry is not as crazy as Oldham.

It isn't so much the govt's of towns that I'm concerned about as finding areas without a HOA.... fortunately, a bill known as prb-1 by the Feder al Communications Commision supercedes city/state/county ordinances when it comes to antenna support structures for amateur radio usage and their being allowed, the FCC has even been known, from what i've heard, to penalize townships with large fines when trying to block ham antennas due to the importance of emergency communication services that they provide (relaying messages for public service ops when their radios go down due to outages, relaying for public service workers due to outages during hurricane katrina, 911, weatherspotting and Skywarn coordinating with the National Weather Service to get information to the public via media sources regarding bad weather/flooding etc etc etc)......the difference in the HOA thing is that the FCC looks at a HOA as a private organization that one buys into the area of, as opposed to a government entity trying to supercede federal authority.

Last edited by OchrismongrelO; 08-10-2009 at 09:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 05:08 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OchrismongrelO View Post
It isn't so much the govt's of towns that I'm concerned about as finding areas without a HOA.... fortunately, a bill known as prb-1 by the Feder al Communications Commision supercedes city/state/county ordinances when it comes to antenna support structures for amateur radio usage and their being allowed, the FCC has even been known, from what i've heard, to penalize townships with large fines when trying to block ham antennas due to the importance of emergency communication services that they provide (relaying messages for public service ops when their radios go down due to outages, relaying for public service workers due to outages during hurricane katrina, 911, weatherspotting and Skywarn coordinating with the National Weather Service to get information to the public via media sources regarding bad weather/flooding etc etc etc)......the difference in the HOA thing is that the FCC looks at a HOA as a private organization that one buys into the area of, as opposed to a government entity trying to supercede federal authority.
While I hear you, and I appreciate your service to our communities and neighborhoods, I must note just how many friends you are interested in making. Your words above almost sound like, "I don't give a damn what my neighbors like or feel, I'm gonna protect them."

Sadly, with all due respect, sir, we don't need your kind of protection in our neighborhoods. Three major storms this year alone have proven we can survive.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:07 AM

87 posts, read 267,314 times
Quote:
While I hear you, and I appreciate your service to our communities and neighborhoods, I must note just how many friends you are interested in making. Your words above almost sound like, "I don't give a damn what my neighbors like or feel, I'm gonna protect them."

Sadly, with all due respect, sir, we don't need your kind of protection in our neighborhoods. Three major storms this year alone have proven we can survive.

I would disagree with you whole-heartedly tomocox. to me, his words have nothing to do with a lack of respect for his neighbors thoughts...which is probably why he's also seeking several acres.

and if anything, the three major storms only support the need for ham radio operators in my view. god forbid we have people who wish to be of service to their neighbors if that is ever needed.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:02 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,871,001 times
Quote:

Now that was kind of harsh, don't you think? Hopefully you'll never be in an emergency situation and need this man's (voluntary) services.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Now that was kind of harsh, don't you think? Hopefully you'll never be in an emergency situation and need this man's (voluntary) services.
I don't mean to be harsh, ever. I just speak with as little "paint" as I can. I am not a cruel person by any means, but people are tired of "spin" and "tact" that costs them. They want truth, honest respect, and value base judgment. Of course we all want the Dr that has both outstanding skills and good bedside manner, but few truly have both. I regret that I don't often measure up on the "bedside manner," but you'll always be able to count on my integrity.

I understand HAM operators, their value, their sacrifices and costs. I am a former volunteer fireman and emergency tech. I appreciate all that any community minded person does, but the way I read the gentleman's comments were that his tower was more important than the people who disagreed with his tower in their neighborhood.

And you are fussing at me?

Old 08-11-2009, 01:47 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,871,001 times
Quote:
I don't mean to be harsh, ever. I just speak with as little "paint" as I can. I am not a cruel person by any means, but people are tired of "spin" and "tact" that costs them. They want truth, honest respect, and value base judgment. Of course we all want the Dr that has both outstanding skills and good bedside manner, but few truly have both. I regret that I don't often measure up on the "bedside manner," but you'll always be able to count on my integrity.

I understand HAM operators, their value, their sacrifices and costs. I am a former volunteer fireman and emergency tech. I appreciate all that any community minded person does, but the way I read the gentleman's comments were that his tower was more important than the people who disagreed with his tower in their neighborhood.

And you are fussing at me?
On the contrary. Not fussing at all. It's just that your reply seemed a bit out of character for you. You are most helpful to everyone and I just thought you came down a little hard on the original poster. No offense intended.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
On the contrary. Not fussing at all. It's just that your reply seemed a bit out of character for you. You are most helpful to everyone and I just thought you came down a little hard on the original poster. No offense intended.
Thanks for your reply. I know I was pretty straight-forward, but I know my straightness would be mild to any reception he might get if he tried to put a tower in any Crestwood/Prospect/Pewee Valley subdivision. You may or may not remember the angst caused by the Pewee Valley cell tower. As important as those are... wow...

Old 08-11-2009, 08:35 PM

87 posts, read 267,314 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I know I was pretty straight-forward, but I know my straightness would be mild to any reception he might get if he tried to put a tower in any Crestwood/Prospect/Pewee Valley subdivision. You may or may not remember the angst caused by the Pewee Valley cell tower. As important as those are... wow...

again...i imagine that's why he's looking for multiple acres in a no HOA situation (assuming that would eliminate the subdivision concern).

Old 08-11-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence425 View Post
again...i imagine that's why he's looking for multiple acres in a no HOA situation (assuming that would eliminate the subdivision concern).
Please note my initial post in this thread. That is why I suggested Henry or Trimble Counties. As a professional, my job is not to tell just the good news, but to advise based on all the aspects and issues. We must consider laws, personal preferences, commutes, home styles, neighbors and neighborhoods. Making a client happy just have the neighbors get angry is not a winning situation. A truly professional Realtor will take all these points and help buyers and sellers navigate to an "everybody wins" opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area