U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,856 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving down to the Louisville area this month. We have been living in apartments up until now, and are looking to buy our first house. My wife's new job is at 6420 Dutchman's Parkway in Louisville, I work from home.

We want to buy a house maybe for between 100-120,000. 3 bedrooms and 2 baths are needed, although other than that it can be on the small side in square footage. It's just us and cats, no kids for at least a few more years so schools are not an issue.

The things we really want from an area are just a few. A safe, quiet, small-town feel is a must. I would ideally like to most of the time not even realize that we live anywhere near a city, unless we choose to head in for some sort of event. We are BORING people, and are not looking for any type of scene! Nice friendly neighbors, old white-haired ladies, you get the picture. We would like to keep my wife's commute down as much as possible, perhaps to 1/2 hour or less if possible. I personally would like to feel like I am living in the backwoods, but I recognize I have to balance that out with my wife's need to get to work and back!

We have looked at some online listings just to get an idea, for places like Mount Washington, but other than that we are filled with questions...other towns? Indiana? Anyone here have any advice?

P.S. We would also love to be near a decent gun club. My wife and I both shoot competitive pistol matches as our main leisure-time activity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 11:06 PM

666 posts, read 2,379,466 times
Simpsonville, Crestwood, and Pewee Valley are all on the outskirts of suburbia and they all have housing in your price range. The drive to Dutchmans Ln. should be 30 min. or less depending on traffic. Simpsonville is probably the most rural. I think there is a gun club somewhere in Crestwood but I am not for sure.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:58 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,524,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
Simpsonville, Crestwood, and Pewee Valley are all on the outskirts of suburbia and they all have housing in your price range. The drive to Dutchmans Ln. should be 30 min. or less depending on traffic. Simpsonville is probably the most rural. I think there is a gun club somewhere in Crestwood but I am not for sure.
The gun club you speak of is "Open Range." From the intersection of KY 329 Bypass (aka Veteran's Memorial Pkwy) and KY 146, north on 146 (drive in front of McDonalds) approx 3/4 mile to first left past Crestwood Station Shopping Center.

Accessing Dutchman's Ln area from Indiana can be a bit hairy due to both the bridges and the more than occasional tie-up. The Crestwood/Pewee Valley area will test your budget limits, but depending on your long term goals may be worth the costs. There are some very good parts of Mt. Washington, but getting to Dutchman's from Mt. Washington is like thick oil trying to filter through a fine screen. It can be done, but the traffic will frustrate you.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:35 AM

63 posts, read 159,793 times
Dutchman's lane is pretty centrally located, so to live somewhere less "city-like" will mean on the ends / outskirts of town in any direction - automatically 25 minute commute. Plus, getting in & out of the Dupont area (Dutchman's lane & Breckinridge) can be a hassle and time consumming at almost anytime between 8am - 7pm M-F, IMO.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:07 PM

7,000 posts, read 15,137,688 times
I think your best bet here is actually Simpsonville. It is exurbia. Drive up US 60 in Shelby County and notice the beautiful horse farms.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:58 AM

666 posts, read 2,379,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I think your best bet here is actually Simpsonville. It is exurbia. Drive up US 60 in Shelby County and notice the beautiful horse farms.
I would have to agree. You could drive 10-15 minutes to get food and other essentials from Wal-Mart or Kroger in Shelbyville and still only be 20-25 minutes from the malls and some restaurants in Louisville.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:28 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,074,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appaws View Post
My wife and I are moving down to the Louisville area this month. We have been living in apartments up until now, and are looking to buy our first house. My wife's new job is at 6420 Dutchman's Parkway in Louisville, I work from home.

We want to buy a house maybe for between 100-120,000. 3 bedrooms and 2 baths are needed, although other than that it can be on the small side in square footage. It's just us and cats, no kids for at least a few more years so schools are not an issue.

The things we really want from an area are just a few. A safe, quiet, small-town feel is a must. I would ideally like to most of the time not even realize that we live anywhere near a city, unless we choose to head in for some sort of event. We are BORING people, and are not looking for any type of scene! Nice friendly neighbors, old white-haired ladies, you get the picture. We would like to keep my wife's commute down as much as possible, perhaps to 1/2 hour or less if possible. I personally would like to feel like I am living in the backwoods, but I recognize I have to balance that out with my wife's need to get to work and back!

We have looked at some online listings just to get an idea, for places like Mount Washington, but other than that we are filled with questions...other towns? Indiana? Anyone here have any advice?

P.S. We would also love to be near a decent gun club. My wife and I both shoot competitive pistol matches as our main leisure-time activity.
Wow. OT--I don't really have much advice about locations and what not (don't live in Lou. anymore, sadly ) but you and you're spouse and me and my spouse sorta sound like mirror images of each other! lol Maybe we should all get together for a casual friendly pistol shoot when we come to visit in October! my hubby is really into his IPSC; I'm more stationary silhouette & target.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:52 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,894,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
Wow. OT--I don't really have much advice about locations and what not (don't live in Lou. anymore, sadly ) but you and you're spouse and me and my spouse sorta sound like mirror images of each other! lol Maybe we should all get together for a casual friendly pistol shoot when we come to visit in October! my hubby is really into his IPSC; I'm more stationary silhouette & target.
You'd be (or not) surpised how many people I know (and most of them live in the East end like to go shooting. There is almost a compitition on buying handguns amongst my supervisors. They take their wives with them to shoot, too The gun culture is alive and well here in Kentucky

Old 08-11-2009, 05:36 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,074,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
You'd be (or not) surpised how many people I know (and most of them live in the East end like to go shooting. There is almost a compitition on buying handguns amongst my supervisors. They take their wives with them to shoot, too The gun culture is alive and well here in Kentucky
I am not surprised. I was never really that exposed to it before I met my husband, but now it's just another part of my life.....like clothing, or...... toiletries! haha (On the drive to our honeymoon destination, we did a gunshop crawl! lol)

My husband has taught me well. Our kids, when they finally come along, will be the same. Safe and responsible firearms handling is a good skill to learn. It can assist in providing for, and (hopefully never have to) protect self/family.

I understand that many people are very uncomfortable around firearms (my mom!) but to me it's a skill that is as practical as changing a tire. How many women do I know that can not, and will not learn how to, change a tire? Me? I'd rather know how to do something myself, because my husband will not always be there when it happens.

Sorry...got a bit off topic there!

Old 08-11-2009, 05:59 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,894,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
I am not surprised. I was never really that exposed to it before I met my husband, but now it's just another part of my life.....like clothing, or...... toiletries! haha (On the drive to our honeymoon destination, we did a gunshop crawl! lol)

My husband has taught me well. Our kids, when they finally come along, will be the same. Safe and responsible firearms handling is a good skill to learn. It can assist in providing for, and (hopefully never have to) protect self/family.

I understand that many people are very uncomfortable around firearms (my mom!) but to me it's a skill that is as practical as changing a tire. How many women do I know that can not, and will not learn how to, change a tire? Me? I'd rather know how to do something myself, because my husband will not always be there when it happens.

Sorry...got a bit off topic there!
Well, I am one of those who doesn't learn those things I am old fashioned I guess lol I do know how to handle a bow though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area