U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2007, 07:55 AM

76 posts, read 350,449 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Thank you for those very few that have responded to my posts. I guess I am not very popular on here. I just want so much info and I think I have read every post on this forum. I was so set on Lexington but after reading all the info on this forum we have decided to live in Oldham County. We are looking at Crestwood and Lagrange but Pewee Valley also looks good. At the end of May my cousin and I will be coming down to see what it is like. I am very, very excited. If there are any suggestions as to what places to dine and things to see please, please let me know. We would liek to go out at night but where to? We will be staying in Louisville most likely. I have to pick a hotel and rent a car. Most likely we will be going from May 25th until the 29th. So that is about 4 days to really check it out which isn't much time but we have to get back to work. I guess we will be going to some open houses to check out the house styles and driving through the different towns. I have no idea what to do really so any suggestions again would be so appreciated. I do not even really know what to check out since I have no clue where we will be working. I just want to make sure I love the area before making up my mind. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 08:06 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,045,574 times
Ler - try Captain's Quarters on the river for dinner...probably don't have the outside dining opened yet, but I love that restaurant in the summer - you can watch the paddle boats and barges go down the river - if you can stand the calories - they have the best Hot Brown in Louisville (my favorite any way).

I love The Blue Dog Cafe on Frankfort Avenue (for lunch) - really good and healthy food - wonderful bread.

We also love the original Irish Rover on Frankfort - good food, great atmosphere - a fun place to go to dinner. They have a second restaurant on Main Street in La Grange but I like the original one better.

For good barbecue - there is a hole in the wall restaurant that we always go to - Juicy's on New LaGrange Road.

You might check out the Courier-journal newspaper on line to see what events are going on while you are there.

Some of Prospect is in Oldham County so check that out for housing too - also Goshen (which is beautiful and not far from La Grange). It is 5 miles to very good services and about 15-20 minutes from a nice shopping center.

I'm sure you will get lots of other suggestions from the natives...I live in California and visit often.

Last edited by Cattknap; 04-26-2007 at 09:24 AM..

Old 04-26-2007, 09:39 AM

688 posts, read 2,883,120 times
Default Some "tourist" attractions in Louisville

But Cattknap - you didn't explain the Hot Brown!

For general nightlife and to get a good feel for the vibe of the city, I would definitely plan to spend some time on Bardstown Rd in the Highlands or on Frankfort Ave. Bardstown Rd is a larger area, a little funkier, a little more action, and a bigger range of people (everyone from hippies to bikers to college students to retired professional couples). Frankfort Ave is a little smaller, a little quieter, a little more refined. Both have great unique dining, shops, coffee spots, spas and salons, art galleries, bars, and other nightlife.

While in either area, you aren't too far from the Cherokee Park area, which is simply gorgeous with older homes, parks, etc. It is a great place to just drive around and take in the neighborhoods.

Also, the riverfront is great to check out, from the new park spaces downtown (including the historic paddle-wheel boat, the Belle of Louisville) to some of the parks and restaurants in the eastern suburbs.

For the city itself, spend some time along Main St to take in the historic and unique architecture, the science museum, the Louisville Slugger Museum, etc. Check out 4th St Live for some more restaurant and nightlife opportunities (more chain restaurants here, like TGI Friday's and a Hard Rock Cafe).

To get a feel for the east-end suburbs of Louisville (shopping, etc) go along Shelbyville Rd around I-264 (the Watterson) for more standard malls, upscale chain restaurants, etc. It is a pretty "generic" suburban area, similar to many other cities of its size, but it will give you an idea of some of the shopping available. A newer, more upscale experience is the Summit off of I-265 (the Gene Snyder). If you choose Oldham County, the Summit will be very close from I-71.

I don't know much about Oldham County, although LaGrange has a great small-town atmosphere with a quaint main street corridor. Crestwood is more of a formerly rural area with more recent subdivisions and neighbhorhoods.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:22 AM

Great..thank you so much for all fo your info but what is a Hot Brown??

Old 04-26-2007, 10:27 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,425,312 times
Like you, I am trying to get all the info I can get here. But if you were considering Lexington, you should probably see it as well. I think you need to see places for yourself. We are going to KY in a couple of weeks, and we plan on extensively exploring both cities. Good luck

Old 04-26-2007, 12:55 PM

458 posts, read 2,196,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Like you, I am trying to get all the info I can get here. But if you were considering Lexington, you should probably see it as well. I think you need to see places for yourself. We are going to KY in a couple of weeks, and we plan on extensively exploring both cities. Good luck
I think you should visit both cities, too. We are settled on Lexington--we think, but we have visited Louisville briefly before. Great city, cool town, clean, fun, but too big city for my husband. That's why our hearts are set on falling in love with Lexington when we visit in May! We shall see.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:16 PM

688 posts, read 2,883,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ler0719 View Post
Great..thank you so much for all fo your info but what is a Hot Brown??
LOL I forgot to explain it, too! As we affectionately refer to it - a heart attack on a plate! In Lexington, Ramsey's (a local favorite restaurant) has a great version as well as a modified veggie version with a healthier twist.

Also check out "Derby Pie" - yum! Similar to chess pie, it is a gooey, chocolate nut pie concoction. Kern's Kitchen has the name copyrighted, and they are the only "official" source for it, but lots of other local places offer their versions as "Mayday Pie" (or "Keeneland Pie" in Lexington).

Here is an article from wikipedia that sums up the Hot Brown pretty well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Brown :

"A Hot Brown is a hot sandwich originally created at the Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky by Fred K. Schmidt in 1926.

The Hot Brown is an open-faced sandwich of turkey and bacon, covered in mornay sauce and baked or broiled until the bread is crisp and the sauce begins to brown. Many Hot Browns also include ham with the turkey, and either pimentos or tomatoes over the sauce, and imitation Hot Browns sometimes substitute a commercial cheese sauce instead of the mornay sauce, but fans of the dish usually decry this substitution. Some restaurants even offer a 'veggie brown' nowadays to attract vegetarians as the recipe is easy to modify with avocado, or, less commonly, soy burger.

On menus within the Louisville area, the Hot Brown often appears as titled "Louisville Hot Brown", elsewhere in Kentucky outside Louisville as the "Kentucky Hot Brown" and outside the commonwealth simply as "Hot Brown." "

Old 04-26-2007, 01:32 PM

6,992 posts, read 15,125,231 times
Louisville is an amazing city. Lots to offer, but not overwhelmingly big. The city's strengths are its tolerance, parks, beautiful architecture, and top notch dining and arts scene. For a BRIEF overview of Louisville, you need to read these at the very least:

General synopsis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisville,_Kentucky

Traveler's overview:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Louisville

Louisville is an amazing restuarant city with literally thousands of restaurants and bars. I would ignore the food recs on wikitravel. For sound food advice, you will want to go and ask the foodies who have their own online community. Be specific. Do you want budget, mid range, or high end? Ethnic food? We have everything from Persian and Ethiopian to Argentinian restaurants. Here is the site. Just register real quick (its free and simple) and ask them at Louisville's online "foodie" community:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/hotbytes/

Another helpful site is:

www.louisvilleoriginals.com

Now, I tend to be an expert on nightlife. If you tell me your age and "scene" I can give you some better options. No matter what your scene, I think you will love the upscale lounge and bar at Proof on Main, which has garnered some national attention. It is located in the ground floor of this hotel downtown:

http://www.21chotel.com/HotelSite/ (broken link)

The hotel is pricey, but I hear it can be had for under 100 a night when you bid on priceline. It may be worth splurging because it is oh so cool if you are into nice hotels and art.

Now, for other bars, there are too many to list without you telling me what you like. There are also sushi bars and lounges if that is what you like. There are Jazz clubs, blues bars, and wine bars. There is even coffee/wine bar mixes. But if you are more into neighborhood pubs, irish bars, whole in the walls, places with pool and country music, or even dance clubs, we have all those too. There's a few good live music venues, places that are always crowded, and places that are just right.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:42 PM

70 posts, read 195,860 times
I think a great place for breakfast is http://www.lynnsparadisecafe.com/index.html and I've taken several out of town guests there. The eclectic atmosphere is fun and the breakfast is very good. We've never been disappointed with the food.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:24 AM

Wow, STX ...thank you so much for the info. We are coming down on the 25th through the 29th. We would love a place with country music and pool as well as a trendy dance club. I am 26 and my cousin is 23 so we need some fun!!!! Oh and an Argentinan restaurant would be great since I am Argentinan!! How random was that? Any cool places like a sports bar would be good also. We love sports!! We do like to have a few drink so no "dry" places. I think that is how you say it. Also, my cousin asked about dress code which I find hilarious. She asked "what do most people our age wear out?" and I told her that Kentucky still is in the United States. But she just wants to make sure jeans and heels is the usual wear there like it is here. Sorry for the ridiculous question but she is standing right here beside me.

We just like to have fun. During the day we will be checking out real estate and neighborhoods and all but at night we definately want a place that has a lot of people and and great time. Thank so much for the info. Oh yeah, and a place were women hang out since we don't want to be the only girls there!! Thank you so much!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area