Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:17 AM

63 posts, read 171,915 times

Advertisements

Since moving to Crescent Hill from Middletown/Eastwood I hate to admit I have become a little bit of a "central city snob" per say, if it's not in Crescent Hill / Highlands / Downtown / St. Matthews I don't like to do it. That might be what they mean by "Highlands Snob".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 07:19 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,331 times
Yeah, it's just a figure of speech. Like a food snob, for example.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:32 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
I currently live in FL, originally from Boston, and after reading some of the city-data posts, decided to check out properties online.

The Highlands area condos remind me of Boston's Back Bay. Fireplace, wainscoting... OMG, I think I'm in love. There's a 2 bedroom I saw in my price range that was built in 1851. Nothing like that around here.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:15 PM

257 posts, read 881,318 times
not sure of your price range, but yes, you can find a very nice mix of housing across the board.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:42 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Thanks. I was just browsing. I'm 58 and, if I were to purchase a home, I'd like to keep the price under $150,000. So much depends on the condition of the home, the property tax and other monthly fees.

The biggest problem I've had lately is finding a place to stay while I look around an area. A hotel or Bed & Breakfast is too expensive for more than a few days.

I'll spend a little time reading the threads before I bother anyone with a lot of questions.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:27 AM

35 posts, read 171,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We are originally from Louisville but haven't lived there in many years. Our friends who still live there in the Highlands, often refer to themselves as "Highlands Snobs." Is this something people who live in the Highlands call themselves? I had never heard this expression until they started using it.
My grandparents lived in the Highlands; the neighborhood wasn't exactly a snobbish area - just clean, decent middle-class.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:49 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustic39 View Post
My grandparents lived in the Highlands; the neighborhood wasn't exactly a snobbish area - just clean, decent middle-class.
The neighborhood is MUCH different than when your grandparents lived there....

Old 09-01-2009, 06:39 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,871,001 times
There's an interesting take on the Highlands on the Craigslist rant and rave board Monday August 31. Not reposting here because of length. These are not necessarily my opinions. Sure to make some mad and others nod in agreement. Read at your own risk. Again, not necessarily my opinions.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:57 AM

209 posts, read 739,148 times
I grew up on Rosewood Ave (my mom, 90, still lives there). I watched the Mid-City Mall be built each day on my walk to the old Atherton. Hunter S Thompson and Sue Grafton lived not far away. The thing about the Highlands then and now is that there is so much grittiness mixed in with the gentrified and hipster that snobbery seems to be always brought down to earth quickly. Of course, there is a bit of odd snobbery attached to being able to say, "I live on Cherokee Road, and bump into skaters, goths, bums, and doctors and lawyers." It's not the snobbery of aloofness, but the self-satisfaction that you live in a true urban place. Anchorage is old-school snobbish. The Highlands is a new, dare I say, better, snobbery. No one can truly uppity walking through Mid-City Mall.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:30 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louroclou View Post
Of course, there is a bit of odd snobbery attached to being able to say, "I live on Cherokee Road, and bump into skaters, goths, bums, and doctors and lawyers." It's not the snobbery of aloofness, but the self-satisfaction that you live in a true urban place. Anchorage is old-school snobbish. The Highlands is a new, dare I say, better, snobbery. No one can truly uppity walking through Mid-City Mall.
I think you nailed it, especially with that last sentence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area