Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,824 times

Advertisements

I am beginning to apply to colleges. U of L is only about 50 miles from where I currently live. Location is playing a huge role in my decision. I'm gay and I'm very liberal, so I don't want to live in a city known for conservatism. I like Louisville a lot, especially the Highlands, but I don't know if the gay scene is that great and I don't want to feel like an outsider because of my beliefs and lifestyle. I want to live in a large, progressive city, no smaller than Louisville. I'm also considering schools in Chicago, Boston, NYC, Providence, Columbus, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and Pittsburgh. I think Louisville seems a little out of place compared to those cities. But I frequently visit Louisville and something keeps drawing me back to it. Is there more to Louisville that I don't know about, or is it just another ignorant, mid-sized, Southern city with little diversity? I'm really confused, but I'm open. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 05:51 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,652 times
Louisville is very progressive and gay-friendly. For a town of it's size, it has a lot going for it, although it's tough to compete with the cities you mention.

In any case, 50 miles from home is almost perfect -- far enough away to be your own person but close enough to visit conveniently.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:22 PM

844 posts, read 2,101,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kota629 View Post
is it just another ignorant, mid-sized, Southern city with little diversity?
Do you honestly expect decent answers with such a condescending & self-righteous attitude???

Old 08-31-2009, 02:35 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kota629 View Post
I am beginning to apply to colleges. U of L is only about 50 miles from where I currently live. Location is playing a huge role in my decision. I'm gay and I'm very liberal, so I don't want to live in a city known for conservatism. I like Louisville a lot, especially the Highlands, but I don't know if the gay scene is that great and I don't want to feel like an outsider because of my beliefs and lifestyle. I want to live in a large, progressive city, no smaller than Louisville. I'm also considering schools in Chicago, Boston, NYC, Providence, Columbus, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and Pittsburgh. I think Louisville seems a little out of place compared to those cities. But I frequently visit Louisville and something keeps drawing me back to it. Is there more to Louisville that I don't know about, or is it just another ignorant, mid-sized, Southern city with little diversity? I'm really confused, but I'm open. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Of that list, Milwaukee, Louisville, Providence, and Columbus are in one league, Pittsburgh and Minneapolis another, and then Chicgo and Boston and NYC are a league of their own.

Completely different animals. Louisville is a lot warmer and probably more friendly than any city on tat list, but of course it cannot compare to the amenities you have in big cities like Chicago or NYC.

I agree your post is a bit condescening....Louisville is far from an "ignorant southern city." You acknowledged that yourself. The Highlands, Old Louisville Crescent Hill, accept, are just as urban and progressive as any neighborhood in any of the aforementioned cities you mentioned, only on a smaller scale than some of the big cities. I would certainly choose Louisville over the first four cities I mentioned, especially over Providence and Milwaukee, which are cold cities that are not nearly as young or hip as Louisville.

Louisville cannot compete with big cities in any way, but you need to decide if a mid sized city can provide enough for you. For me it did.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:03 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Of that list, Milwaukee, Louisville, Providence, and Columbus are in one league, Pittsburgh and Minneapolis another, and then Chicgo and Boston and NYC are a league of their own.

Completely different animals. Louisville is a lot warmer and probably more friendly than any city on tat list, but of course it cannot compare to the amenities you have in big cities like Chicago or NYC.

I agree your post is a bit condescening....Louisville is far from an "ignorant southern city." You acknowledged that yourself. The Highlands, Old Louisville Crescent Hill, accept, are just as urban and progressive as any neighborhood in any of the aforementioned cities you mentioned, only on a smaller scale than some of the big cities. I would certainly choose Louisville over the first four cities I mentioned, especially over Providence and Milwaukee, which are cold cities that are not nearly as young or hip as Louisville.

Louisville cannot compete with big cities in any way, but you need to decide if a mid sized city can provide enough for you. For me it did.
Good post!

Old 09-02-2009, 07:59 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Good post!
I agree! stx12499 always sells Louisville to me when I see his posts. I'm thinking about moving there if I can find a job after college there, and stx12499 always makes posts about the city that make me want to be there lol.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:42 PM

114 posts, read 243,764 times
My son has been over there 3 months and is having a great time. Tells me you guys are all very friendly too. I can't wait to come over! A year ago I had never wanted to visit the USA, disregarded it totally from my holiday wish list, but now - i. just. cannot. wait!!!!! Roll on March '10. Thanks for being a friendly bunch too!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: