Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 11:49 AM

8 posts, read 31,420 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We will be travelling with kids from Prospect to Raleigh NC one wekend before thanksgiving for a family re-union. Looking for the best route to drive during that time.

Google map shows two options. Through Charleston WV (64E, 77S) or through Knoxville TN (75S- 40E). Please let me know which route would you prefer and reason for choosing your route

-Is your choice more scenic drive?
-Is your choice faster way to get there?
-Is your choice better considering weather conditions around Nov20th?
-Any other reason?
-Take some other route instead?

Thanks for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 12:39 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd View Post
Hi,
We will be travelling with kids from Prospect to Raleigh NC one wekend before thanksgiving for a family re-union. Looking for the best route to drive during that time.

Google map shows two options. Through Charleston WV (64E, 77S) or through Knoxville TN (75S- 40E). Please let me know which route would you prefer and reason for choosing your route

-Is your choice more scenic drive? Depends on your time of day. Leaves will all be gone. Snow is more likely on the WV route. I like the Knoxville route typically.

-Is your choice faster way to get there? Depends again on the traffic. I-75 Lexington to Knoxville and I-40 could be heavy traffic zones.

-Is your choice better considering weather conditions around Nov20th? See above,

-Any other reason? Take one going, the other coming.

Best wishes

Old 11-02-2009, 03:20 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,739,240 times
Quote:
Hi,

-Any other reason?

theyre about the same. either way both i40 and i77 pass through some decent sized mountains with lots of turns. Id go 64 through WV especially if youve never been that way, as many from Louisville have not.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:36 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,106 times
Quote:
Hi,

-Any other reason?

I've taken 64 to 77, and 75 to 40 to Charlotte from Louisville, and I prefer I-40. It takes a little longer but it just gets REALLY boring driving on I-77 because its pretty desolate from Lexington to Charleston, and there until you get into NC. If you take 40 than at least you go through Knoxville and Asheville. Like stx said, both have a lot of mountains, and if I'm remembering right (its been a few years) there were bigger mountains going through TN to NC. Also, I drove 64 to 77N last month and they are doing a lot of construction in WV, I don't know if that is true on 77S, but on 77N on almost every bridge it was down to 1 lane with a 55 mph speed limit. You'd probably have less of a chance running into winter weather if you take 40, but I don't really think that will be an issue this early in the year no matter which way you go.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:48 PM

606 posts, read 1,978,207 times
I-40 is CLOSED due to a rockslide between Knoxville and Asheville. Take I-77.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:57 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
I-40 is CLOSED due to a rockslide between Knoxville and Asheville. Take I-77.
well i guess that made the decision a little easier lol.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:33 PM

606 posts, read 1,978,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
well i guess that made the decision a little easier lol.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:53 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,052 times
We just drove to Kentucky to look at houses the other week and took 77 to 64..of course you have to remember if you take 77 you have to pay the tolls.. which is now $2.00 per car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: