U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2007, 05:30 AM

49 posts, read 364,312 times

Advertisements

Hi! We may be making the move from Mt. Pleasant, SC to Louisville area! I am excited, however, I was told there are many cloudy days!! The Charleston area is just the opposite...it has many sunny days, which I love! Also, I heard the winters are dreadful. I was raised in upstate NY, however, I have lived in SC for 7 years now! Iam sure the winters in Louisville can not compare to the ones I grew up in!!! Thanks for your input!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 08:29 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,242,431 times
A quick check with www.city-data.com homepage indicates that yes, Louisville does have more cloudy days than Charleston.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:47 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,508,638 times
FYI, UPS chose Louisville for its international air hub in part due to the minimal time the airport is closed due to weather. The winters can be brutally cold, summers horribly hot, hazy, humid; but those are extremes, usually short lived. Yes, there is a lot of winter cloudiness.... but wait 15 minutes and Louisville weather will change (old joke around here)

Old 05-12-2007, 09:47 PM

49 posts, read 364,312 times
Thanks for the info! It seems to be a mix of NY and Charleston, SC weather!

Old 05-13-2007, 01:22 PM

6,972 posts, read 15,095,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorismith View Post
Thanks for the info! It seems to be a mix of NY and Charleston, SC weather!
The most accurate weather data can be found at:

http://www.noaa.gov/

That said, weather.com gets their info from there and sometimes their weather history is more accessible:

Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 7,322 times
I live just across the river from Louisville and I concur with the above statements regarding the gloomy weather here. If you like living in a place with LESS sunny days than San Francisco (according to weatherman John Belski on WAVE-TV-3), this is the place for you! It's literally depressing. Almost Always overcast and grey. I used to keep track of the sunny versus no-sun days on my calendar. We get 1-2 days of sun then a WEEK or more with no sun. My calendar has a 21 day span without seeing the sun come out once! This was about 2 years ago. The weather is still this way. It's VERY common to not see the sun come out for a week. Growing up in NJ we at least didn't have to wait a week to have a sunny day. You don't realize how much this gloomy weather will effect you until your here. Personally, I will not be spending the rest of my days here - there are MUCH nicer places to live if you like the sunshine like I do.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:08 PM

31 posts, read 76,624 times
It depends, of course, from where you are from. Ive been in the areas you are in and I would say the Louisville weather would easily be somewhere in the middle but probably a little closer to SC. The winters are pretty mild with hardly any snow. Its nice not having to scrape the windows every morning and its rare to have be worried about ice-covered roads. Its also nice because the winters seem shorts as it warms up early...I had flowers blooming like crazy in March. Most of the year the weather is pretty mild but the summers are pretty nice. Warm enough for a nice day in the pool or for a long walk but not real humid. Actually, that reminds me that when I moved here I was surprised at how the sun would be shining and it would be the middle of summer but the humidity usually feels really low. You get the just feel the summer sun. From everywhere I lived, I dont feel like its extra cloudy here and overall its nice to see the different seasons but not deal with harsh winters.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:07 PM

20 posts, read 57,269 times
Go to: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...pctposrank.txt

It says Louisville has sun 56% of the time.
Charleston has 63%

I would say that Louis has a little more sun in the Summer and Fall (maybe not as many summer thunderstorms as SC) and a lot less sun in the winter. Fall is really nice in Louisville and can extend well into November some years. Spring is dicey (often rainy but very green), Summer is nice but sometimes hot and humid, Winter is usually grey but not typically bitter cold (less than 20) for that long. Usually in the 40's, sometimes 50's.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:01 AM

4,870 posts, read 5,870,110 times
Thumbs up # of sunny days

Last I checked the Dept. of Energy's site looking for alternative solutions, Louisville has an average of 93 sunny days (sunny - not partly sunny -where solar can be beneficial) and an average of 5-7 mph wind (too low for windmills). Looking at NOAA, Charleston averages 102 sunny days, 109 partly cloudy, and 155 cloudy days compared to Louisville's 93, 102 PC, and 171 cloudy days.

Cloudiness - Mean Number of Days

For the wind, see link below. Live anywhere where the wind averages 12-14 mph each day, and you'll appreciate those days where it's calm.

Wind Powering America: Wind Maps and Wind Resource Potential Estimates

Nobody should be allowed to use the word 'brutally cold winters' and 'Louisville' in the same sentence. Having spent time in Minnesota, they don't get too excited unless the temperature drops below zero and that rarely happens in Louisville. Even temps in the teens are not too common here in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
The winters can be brutally cold, summers horribly hot, hazy, humid; but those are extremes, usually short lived.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:07 PM

203 posts, read 332,272 times
210 sunny, 82 partly cloudy, and 73 cloudy here in Vegas!

The cloudy days (especially in the winter, when sometimes it seemed like it would never be sunny again) are one of the few things I don't miss about Louisville since moving away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: