Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:50 PM

15 posts, read 60,000 times

Advertisements

Need some suggestions on where to live.

Looking to spend between $300 to $450K. I will be working in the 40299 area code but don't mind driving as long as it is under 45 minutes to work. We have no kids and are used to the amenities in Long Island and are looking for something similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 05:16 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,023 times
You'll be fine any where in 40241, 40245, 40059, 40014, 40056, 40223. Kids or not, Oldham County is good, especially current value of the range you are looking in.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:05 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,690 times
The shorter commute is going to be your most pleasant surprise! I'd say look in Prospect (Jefferson or Oldham) or Middletown area of Jefferson County. The second most pleasant surprise is going to be how much you can get for your money in comparison. A couple with no kids can get a very nice 3 bedroom house for $300,000. Maybe consider a condo in Prospect overlooking the Ohio River?

Going from NY to Oldham County may be too much of a culture shock. That's one reason I'm pushing Prospect. Still an easy commute to 40299 (about 30 minutes with most of the traffic going the other way?) and it's just a quick run down River Road to downtown and all that's there. The Middletown area would be much closer and there are some great houses in that price range with 5 acres of land.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:56 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
Here is a house in Hunting Creek. We live in Hunting Creek and just love it. Upscale ammenities, country club, golf course, trash pick up twice a week, hometown celebrations within the subdivions, custom homes, beautiful subdivision. Centrally located but with that country feel. Good doctors, dentists, restaurants within 5 minutes of your front door and the nicest Kroeger grocery store in Louisville.

Here is one of the homes for sale in your price range.

Semonin Realtors

Old 09-28-2009, 06:23 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Here is a house in Hunting Creek.
Very nice house with an acre of land.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:36 AM

666 posts, read 2,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Here is a house in Hunting Creek. We live in Hunting Creek and just love it. Upscale ammenities, country club, golf course, trash pick up twice a week, hometown celebrations within the subdivions, custom homes, beautiful subdivision. Centrally located but with that country feel. Good doctors, dentists, restaurants within 5 minutes of your front door and the nicest Kroeger grocery store in Louisville.

Here is one of the homes for sale in your price range.

Semonin Realtors
Whoa whoa whoa, I don't know about the NICEST Kroger, lol, but it is pretty nice. I personally think the Middletown Kroger is the best. BTW the OP might want to check out Norton Commons, you all would probably really enjoy it, it is a planned community with an array of houses and lofts ranging from the low 200s to 1mil+. It is its own little town, and it is near a very nice outdoor mall, a brand new hospital, Costco, a movie theater, and pretty much any type of restaurant you could think of.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:21 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
Would OC be too rural? That doesn't make me think of Long Island personally.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:02 PM

15 posts, read 60,000 times
Thanks for the responses. We will defnitely take the advice when we start our search. We were looking at stores we currently shop at and none seem to be in Louisville. Closest big city with the similar stores is Cincinnati. Is that a reasonable drive from the locations suggested? Today we go to Manhattan often and the drive is about 1:15 min to 1:30.

Also, in terms of climate, it seems from the people that I know who work in Louisville, it never snows and when it does the city is shut down. Does that mean I will not need my snow blower anymore?

In terms of lawn care, we use a service here, are there similar weekly lawn care companies there?

Old 09-30-2009, 05:29 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centereach View Post
Thanks for the responses. We will defnitely take the advice when we start our search. We were looking at stores we currently shop at and none seem to be in Louisville. Closest big city with the similar stores is Cincinnati. Is that a reasonable drive from the locations suggested? Today we go to Manhattan often and the drive is about 1:15 min to 1:30.

Also, in terms of climate, it seems from the people that I know who work in Louisville, it never snows and when it does the city is shut down. Does that mean I will not need my snow blower anymore?

In terms of lawn care, we use a service here, are there similar weekly lawn care companies there?
I don't know anyone who owns a snowblower but a shovel is a good idea. As far as lawn care companies, there are several to choose from. Cinci is about as far as Manhattan is to you so if you don't mind that, you will be fine. Good Luck!

Old 09-30-2009, 06:41 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
You really need to look at the stores that are here. We have very good shopping - really you can find just about anything you need or want right in the Louisville area. What kind of stores are you used to?

If you are going to move to KY, then you need to go native, LOL. We moved from So. Cal last year and were used to amazing services and shopping but we find everything we need right here or via the internet and UPS.

Buy yourself a riding lawn mower and become one with your land. The cost to have someone mow an acre every 5 days in the summer would be prohibitive. Besides, most people mow their own lawns - you will be amazed at how neat, clean and mowed most things are - even in the country - it is fun to mow - relaxing.....lots of women enjoy mowing too.

We do have a service that feeds and weeds our lawn 6 times a year but again, that is something you can do yourself.

We had to buy a snow shovel last year after a freaky ice storm - my husband did a major shoveling twice last winter....mostly the snow doesn't stick or hang around for long...I don't think you need a snowblower - at least based on our limited experience.

You will love it here - really you will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area