U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 07:53 PM

6,351 posts, read 20,324,531 times

Advertisements

I live in Ohio but deliver to Louisville regularly and I think a lot of you all. But I was floored to see a recent Wall Street Journal article where the people who have built upscale homes and businesses in Butchertown now want JBS to move their hog-slaughtering plant somewhere else. Are you kidding me??? Now, I'm no rich Capitalist. And I only read the WSJ to see what kind of schemes the fat cats are up to next. But I'm with 'em on this issue. JBS employs about 1300 people, pumps more than $47 million into the local economy in payroll, real estate and property taxes.

While I'm all for gentrification of declining neighborhoods, the idea that you fix up run-down homes next to a 43-year old plant then demand that THEY move is just ludicrous. I'm sorry. That's just as idiotic as buying a home next to an airport and then complaining about jet noise.

Comments?

Last edited by Crew Chief; 11-28-2009 at 09:36 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 10:50 PM

6,749 posts, read 20,874,993 times
I would have to whole heartedly agree.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:41 AM

25,587 posts, read 37,321,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I live in Ohio but deliver to Louisville regularly and I think a lot of you all. But I was floored to see a recent Wall Street Journal article where the people who have built upscale homes and businesses in Butchertown now want JBS to move their hog-slaughtering plant somewhere else. Are you kidding me??? Now, I'm no rich Capitalist. And I only read the WSJ to see what kind of schemes the fat cats are up to next. But I'm with 'em on this issue. JBS employs about 1300 people, pumps more than $47 million into the local economy in payroll, real estate and property taxes.

While I'm all for gentrification of declining neighborhoods, the idea that you fix up run-down homes next to a 43-year old plant then demand that THEY move is just ludicrous. I'm sorry. That's just as idiotic as buying a home next to an airport and then complaining about jet noise.

Comments?
I give about the same respect to these Butchertown complainers that I gave the same people who complained about the jet noise from Langley AFB back home in Hampton, VA; ZERO!!!!!!!

Langley AFB like this plant pumped some serious cash and jobs into the community. If you don't want to deal with the noise or the other effects, YOU move. The noise wasn't fun sometimes but having my parents unemployed (both worked at Langley for sometime enlisted/civilian) and living in a depressed city would be even less fun.

The slaughterhouse needs to stay right where it is whether they like it or not.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:31 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,512,114 times
I'm on the band wagon with ya! Sounds like the city slicker who moved to the country. Next door to their new home was a farm. It was an operating farm with pigs, cows, and chickens. Such an ideal place to live and raise children. Untillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll..... during the natural operations of the farm (generations of this operation) the farmer hauls out the manure which had accumulated for months. Boy does it stink for a few days.... Now city slicker cries foul! Takes the farmer to court for making a nuisance.

There's a bridge planned for eastern Jefferson County... same type of behavior. Any person with even semi-normal vision and 1/2 a brain would know that a bridge would come someday.

I am a Realtor, I think part of the blame for such crappy moves by newcomers belongs to us. We haven't dared lose a sale.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:27 AM

6,351 posts, read 20,324,531 times
Thanks, All!! Missymom, you're always right on! Alanboy395, I served at LAFB from 1980-83 and know of what you speak! Tomocox; that's gotta be a tough one; you're in the business to move properties and boost the local economy, but what do you do when differing interests collide...

I understand the "NIMBY" (not in my back yard) folks to a degree, but anyone who moves to an area that ALREADY has an objectionable business or other negatives in the neighborhood is just plain selfish. If you are REALLY opposed to living near industry or other "negatives", plan ahead. Do research into what is and will be happening to the area where you live. For example, we took a look at the main street that goes past our subdivision. It dead-ends into a really pricy subdivision and the road it "T"s with goes past expensive real estate, so the chances of our main access route being widened is slim. So we don't see a real increase in traffic. And a nature preserve backs up to the other side of our subdivision, so we're sitting pretty with what we want. (But I wouldn't mind it if they built a fire station next doors... )

As for that bridge that will route I-265 to Southern IN, I can't wait!!!

Old 11-29-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks, All!! Missymom, you're always right on! Alanboy395, I served at LAFB from 1980-83 and know of what you speak!

Tomocox; that's gotta be a tough one; you're in the business to move properties and boost the local economy, but what do you do when differing interests collide..

It is never a problem to share facts, truth, and knowledge with a client, customer, or prospect. When we share what we know, good, bad or ugly, then the choices become simple. Can you stand it? Is it going to be ok? I don't have to be guilty of thinking for someone else.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:43 PM

6,975 posts, read 15,103,035 times
I am going to be the lone dissenter here. The reason? This was historically a NEIGHBORHOOD. You guys talk about Swift being there for fifty years but what about the area before? It has been ruined by light industry in the last 50 years. Do any of you have any idea how many historic structures have been ruined by low density light industry with no aesthetic? Much of this crap was built post WWII as part of "urban renewal" which nearly destroyed Louisville and many cities like it.

Now, it is true that the area has always had meat packing since the late nineteenth century, but that area was settled first by German immigrants in the 1850's when Louisville and it's sister river cities were a bustling metropolis. The area derives its name from the Old Bourbon Stock Yards, and pigs used to actually march up east Market and Main....but that was over 100 years ago!

Meat packing is not done in cities like it used to be. Ever read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle? Butchertown remains among the largest (if not the largest) remaining meat packing district in the US. All meat packing is now done in rural areas, where it belongs in the 21st century.

And finally, I don't think many of you have realized just how much this area has gentrified, and how it's history was initially residential, with a fringe industrial component. There is a lot of cool stuff going on in Butchertown and it is possibly the critical link between NuLu, Clifton, and the Highlands.

Broken Sidewalk . Land Use And The Future Of Butchertown

And lots more about just some of the projects ongoing in Butchertown:

Broken Sidewalk . Search Results

Old 11-29-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I am going to be the lone dissenter here. The reason? This was historically a NEIGHBORHOOD. You guys talk about Swift being there for fifty years but what about the area before? It has been ruined by light industry in the last 50 years. Do any of you have any idea how many historic structures have been ruined by low density light industry with no aesthetic? Much of this crap was built post WWII as part of "urban renewal" which nearly destroyed Louisville and many cities like it.

Now, it is true that the area has always had meat packing since the late nineteenth century, but that area was settled first by German immigrants in the 1850's when Louisville and it's sister river cities were a bustling metropolis. The area derives its name from the Old Bourbon Stock Yards, and pigs used to actually march up east Market and Main....but that was over 100 years ago!

Meat packing is not done in cities like it used to be. Ever read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle? Butchertown remains among the largest (if not the largest) remaining meat packing district in the US. All meat packing is now done in rural areas, where it belongs in the 21st century.

And finally, I don't think many of you have realized just how much this area has gentrified, and how it's history was initially residential, with a fringe industrial component. There is a lot of cool stuff going on in Butchertown and it is possibly the critical link between NuLu, Clifton, and the Highlands.

Tell that to the people who work there. If you don't like what's in the area you move into then don't move there. Plain and simple.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post

STX, you entirely missed the point. The point was and remains that several people moved into the area with the plant already in place. Then they raised a "stink" about the stink.

I personally agree with your synopsis of the area, but less than 15 years ago, there were two slaughterhouses working in the area, and one had little environmental equipment.

People of the type that are anti-Swift, also squeal like a pig about jobs, but when it comes to throwing out jobs that might inconvenience their personal lifestyle, "da heck with da jobs."

Old 11-29-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks, All!! Missymom, you're always right on!
Thank you Crew!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area