U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 PM

9 posts, read 23,300 times

Advertisements

Alright people....time to be honest.

How bad is the traffic on the I-65 bridge in the mornings (i.e. "rush hour")? The Wife and I were planning on living in Scottsburg (relocating from out-of-state) but I'm hearing whispers of horrific traffic at work.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 06:04 PM

39 posts, read 109,143 times
I go the opposite way, commute from Louisville to southern Indiana, but sometimes find myself coming back over the bridge on business in the morning. I find morning and evening rush hour traffic pretty comparable with evening being a little worse. Worse case scenario I've encountered is an extra half hour, typical (for me) is an extra 5 minutes.

It honestly depends on what exit you need. Those unfortunate souls that live in the east end and depend on I-64 or I-71 to get home suffer through the worst of the bridge traffic and then some. If you can stay in the left lane, cross the bridge, get off at the first southbound 65 exit (Jefferson/Brook St) and take surface streets from there, the slowdown is 5 - 10 minutes on average. Hope this helps!

Old 12-03-2009, 03:37 PM

7,031 posts, read 15,619,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarthVader View Post
Alright people....time to be honest.

How bad is the traffic on the I-65 bridge in the mornings (i.e. "rush hour")? The Wife and I were planning on living in Scottsburg (relocating from out-of-state) but I'm hearing whispers of horrific traffic at work.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much!!
"bad traffic" is a relative term. It you are moving from say, Wichita or Toledo, it is going to look very bad. But if you are moving from Atlanta or LA, it is a breeze and almost laughable "traffic."

Old 12-04-2009, 01:35 PM

31 posts, read 77,974 times
It does def. depend where you are coming from but we live on the east side an my husband drives in the AM to the southwest area and doesnt run into too much of a problem at all. The only big issues are when theres a bad accident but that still doesnt usually cause a big issue with traffic.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:36 PM

6,351 posts, read 20,637,292 times
Good posts above! I deliver to Jeffersonville and New Albany several mornings a week and the Southbound backup on the JFK bridge and leading up to it can be a little frustrating. But I'm not sure it's even as bad as Northern KY's backup into Cincinnati. Granted, a wreck ahead can be a real game-changer. And there are alternates; I-265 to the Sherman Metten (Sp?) Bridge on I-64. And, maybe before we'll all dead and buried, the bridge from KY to IN over I-265 will be built...

1. Watch your speed in Southern IN; the cops work I-65 REAL hard in the 55 mph zone. There were FOUR of 'em writing tickets on Thanksgiving morning when traffic was VERY light...

2. Be aware that LOTS of people wait until the last minute to cut into the right lane on the JFK Bridge to access I-64 & I-71. It FREQUENTLY causes multiple-vehicle crashes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area