U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 06:56 PM

904 posts, read 1,686,400 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

Santa was extra nice to me this holiday season and brought me 2 tickets to the Cardinals vs Scarlet Knights basketball game on February 6th at Freedom Hall. I'm so excited! This will be my first time ever visiting Louisville and going to a college basketball game in general.

My friend and I will be coming down on a Friday morning, going to the game on Saturday evening, and leaving some time on Sunday morning. We'll be arriving early in the afternoon on Friday, so we'll want to hang out in the city that night and the next night after the game.

Here's what I need some advice on:

First off, we're wanting to stay in a hotel in downtown. We'd like to be walking distance to 4th Street Live (we think that looks like a fun hang out). Since we're splitting the hotel cost, we'd like to stay in a decent hotel. We're both college students, so we don't have the most amount of money(not to mention coming down and eating and such is going to cost us a bit), but both agreed cheaper hotels kind of creep us out (lol), so we'd like to stay in a decently nice and decently priced hotel. Any suggestions? Staying in downtown will personally give me the chance not to have to drive around a lot in an unknown city. I'll obviously be driving to Freedom Hall though, and I was wondering how far (minute-wise) downtown is from Freedom Hall?

Secondly, is there a certain restaurant we should check out while down there for a few days? We don't like wild bars and such, just usually stick to restaurants with a fun yet tame atmosphere(like BW3's or something). We're from the Cleveland, Ohio area, and while we're down there a Cavs game will be on tv on ESPN I think, so is there a certain place that's enjoyable that may have the game on? We're open to any suggestions. Wouldn't mind going to a place we don't have here in the Cleveland area.

Sorry this is so long. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and such!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 10:42 PM

904 posts, read 1,686,400 times
Just thought I'd mention, we'd be willing to go to a $100 or even a little more per night on a hotel. Since we're splitting, that would be only $50 a piece per night for each of us. Just saying in case this helps with hotel recommendations.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:23 PM

6,832 posts, read 14,398,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Just thought I'd mention, we'd be willing to go to a $100 or even a little more per night on a hotel. Since we're splitting, that would be only $50 a piece per night for each of us. Just saying in case this helps with hotel recommendations.
Just get on priceline. Most hotels downtown can be had for close to 100 a night if you do it that way. I really really really recommend trying to get a room at 21C and taking a cab over to fourth street live. If not, choose among the Hyatt, Marriot, or Seelbach, which are closer to fourth street live (about a block each). Your best bet may be the Hyatt, and I would definitely book on priceline and name your own price.

For watching the Cavs, I would try out the Sports and Social Club on Fourth Street live. The Marriot also has a laid back sports bar called Champions. The more chill bars in that area are that Ri Ra, and a lounge like Maker's Mark Lounge. Incidentally, there are lots of Cleveland expats in Louisville....the city gains more residents from Ohio than any state. However, I am not sure if there is a Cavs bar but I believe there is a Browns bar somewhere.

If you guys are more of "chill bars" kind of people, I recommend you catch a cab near fourth street live and ask for a ride to Molly Malones in the Highlands or St Matthews. Each is an irish pub located on very nice laid back bar strips. The Highlands is a must see (bardstown/baxter ave). If you like good beer, ask for a ride to Cumberland Brews. Also nearby is a 24 hour cafe called Cafe 360 which is cheaper than Waffle House but has international food and Hookah.

Louisville has amazing restaurants....please don't eat at chains. Let me know if you'd like advice.

If you want to taste good bourbon and check out another cool urban area, ask for a cab to Bourbons Bistro on Frankfort Ave in Clifton. Its an older crowd than the other places but they have 100s of bourbons! When in Rome...

Old 12-26-2009, 05:39 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,880,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Just get on priceline. Most hotels downtown can be had for close to 100 a night if you do it that way. I really really really recommend trying to get a room at 21C and taking a cab over to fourth street live. If not, choose among the Hyatt, Marriot, or Seelbach, which are closer to fourth street live (about a block each). Your best bet may be the Hyatt, and I would definitely book on priceline and name your own price.

For watching the Cavs, I would try out the Sports and Social Club on Fourth Street live. The Marriot also has a laid back sports bar called Champions. The more chill bars in that area are that Ri Ra, and a lounge like Maker's Mark Lounge. Incidentally, there are lots of Cleveland expats in Louisville....the city gains more residents from Ohio than any state. However, I am not sure if there is a Cavs bar but I believe there is a Browns bar somewhere.

If you guys are more of "chill bars" kind of people, I recommend you catch a cab near fourth street live and ask for a ride to Molly Malones in the Highlands or St Matthews. Each is an irish pub located on very nice laid back bar strips. The Highlands is a must see (bardstown/baxter ave). If you like good beer, ask for a ride to Cumberland Brews. Also nearby is a 24 hour cafe called Cafe 360 which is cheaper than Waffle House but has international food and Hookah.

Louisville has amazing restaurants....please don't eat at chains. Let me know if you'd like advice.

If you want to taste good bourbon and check out another cool urban area, ask for a cab to Bourbons Bistro on Frankfort Ave in Clifton. Its an older crowd than the other places but they have 100s of bourbons! When in Rome...
Just curious about your fact on Ohioans in Kentucky? Do you have a source for that? I moved to SW Ohio from Philadelphia, and I was surprised by the number of Kentuckians that live in Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati. After Michigan, the amount of Kentuckians living here is about as equal to that of the New Yorkers.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:07 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,769,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Just curious about your fact on Ohioans in Kentucky? Do you have a source for that? I moved to SW Ohio from Philadelphia, and I was surprised by the number of Kentuckians that live in Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati. After Michigan, the amount of Kentuckians living here is about as equal to that of the New Yorkers.
Umm, dude just do a search on Google. You will see that Ohio is seeing a lot of its residents moving to other states, mainly Southern states including Kentucky.

The Kentucky residents that live in Ohio are mainly the ones that moved there during the 50's and 60's when so many people were moving to the "North." It's the other way around now.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:58 PM

5,284 posts, read 18,450,539 times
Here is an article from a few days ago - the number of ohio residents is shrinking....Kentucky is not on the list by the way.

biggest-losers-where-americans-are-not-moving: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/108478/biggest-losers-where-americans-are-not-moving - broken link)

Old 12-27-2009, 11:09 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,054,350 times
The Kentucky residents that live in Ohio are mainly the ones that moved there during the 50's and 60's when so many people were moving to the "North." It's the other way around now.

True. The migration from Appalachian KY has all but disappeared. In the 2000s the major population exchanges between the Dayton metro area and KY was between Louisville, Lexington, and Northern KY, not appalachia. More people left Dayton for KY than the other way around.

I know this is the KY subforum, but here is an in-depth look at one Ohio metro area, Dayton: Dayton Outmigration, mostly to Florida

Old 12-27-2009, 11:13 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,054,350 times
Anywho...a good place Id recommend for a fun time is Stevie Rays blues bar. I was there over Xmas weekend and had a great time.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Umm, dude just do a search on Google. You will see that Ohio is seeing a lot of its residents moving to other states, mainly Southern states including Kentucky.

Yes, you know each of these residents so well. No actually most of the ones I know have moved here recently.

Get off your high horse buddy

Old 12-28-2009, 08:31 PM

stx, sorry if you didn't have time to respond to my question, I was just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area