Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Louisville, KY.... southern or midwestern?
Southern 31 47.69%
MidWestern 34 52.31%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:56 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Agreed. The only problem i've always had though is that if Louisville and Lexington have to be considered Southern, what does that make Huntington, WV and Charleston,WV? I've always thought both of these cities to be in somewhat the same category as Louisville and Lexington, as being on that border region between the North and South. I'd never include any of these cities in the Midwest but would say they are on that "border" and should be regarded as being the northernmost Southern cities if "border" does not suffice with anyone.
Well, I actually always consider West Virginia part of the inner east coast region (along with Virginia, Pennsylvania, etc.)...maybe Pennsylvania is what I consider WV most closely aligned with, and I wouldn't consider Pennsylvania (or WV) as either Midwestern or southern.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:03 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Well, I actually always consider West Virginia part of the inner east coast region (along with Virginia, Pennsylvania, etc.)...maybe Pennsylvania is what I consider WV most closely aligned with, and I wouldn't consider Pennsylvania (or WV) as either Midwestern or southern.
I'd call Pennsylvania Northeastern. West Virginia is I guess kind of a chameleon type of state. It has commonalities with Pennsylvania, Maryland, D.C., Virginia, Kentucky, and Ohio. I've always thought of Virginia as being more of a Southern state myself.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:38 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,568 times
This seems to be a popular topic for some reason...

Ask someone from the far North and he'll say it's in the South
Ask someone from the deep South and he'll say it's in the North
Ask someone in between and you'll get varied answers.

If you're talking about climate though, the National Weather Service says it's Midwest.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:53 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Default climate

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product.../regions.shtml

According to this we are at least clumped in with tennessee.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Kentucky IS in the south, no question.
I agree. Upper South or Deep South = South....I thought that didn't need to be explained

Old 05-25-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I am suprised that Cracker Barrel has a different menu by region. I thought they prided themselves on uniformity (same decor in every one, etc) and the whole point is the country, Southern, down home cooking. I'm stunned.
Same here too. Cracker Barrel by not promoting Southern-style menus loses its entire identity. Makes no sense to me.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:34 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Cracker Barrels are more common than you take them to be and the restaurants are making their way north. Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio are full of them, as is Missouri. is this some kind of an attempt to convince me i'm southern, cause it's not working. I know those states very well given I visit them on multiple occasions per year. If they don't have sweet tea in Minnesota i'd be surprised because they sure as hell do have it in the lower Midwest states' Cracker Barrels (Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio). Indiana has the most sweet tea of any state in the Midwest, far more than Missouri. Indiana is practically half-dominated by sweet tea. Missouri not even a quarter.
No, ajf, I wouldn't try to convince you that you are Southern. I know, Cracker Barrels are ubiquitous in the north and south these days, but in the 80s, the only ones I ever encountered on my many trips between the Midwest and FL were in the South. The first one I'd hit when I took I 24 was in Paducah, KY. As I said, I'd enjoy the VA ham and grits there, but the CBs I've been to in MN and WI don't have these items on their menues. Maybe the Southern ones don't anymore either, haven't been to one for ahile. Whether they have sweet tea at the one here in the TC, I don't know.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
No, ajf, I wouldn't try to convince you that you are Southern. I know, Cracker Barrels are ubiquitous in the north and south these days, but in the 80s, the only ones I ever encountered on my many trips between the Midwest and FL were in the South. The first one I'd hit when I took I 24 was in Paducah, KY. As I said, I'd enjoy the VA ham and grits there, but the CBs I've been to in MN and WI don't have these items on their menues. Maybe the Southern ones don't anymore either, haven't been to one for ahile. Whether they have sweet tea at the one here in the TC, I don't know.
Really? Well I can't speak for the '80s given I was born in '86, but I believe you. Makes me wonder the same thing about Waffle Houses, BenAround? Were they only in the South in the '80s too? I guess it'd sort of surprise me that Minnesota would not have the true Cracker Barrel stuff the other restaurant chains would given the whole idea of a restaurant chain in the first place is to establish uniformity. Cracker Barrel is a true Southern restaurant and their whole purpose seems to be to offer Southern cooking no matter what part of the country their located in. I'm not questioning whether the TC one was lacking the stuff you said it did. Just makes me wonder why it was.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
The Southern ones do hehe. Sweet tea and everything. So do the lower Midwest ones. But they are anomalies here.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:12 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
okay guys, I used to work at the cracker barrel (jealous aren't you) I worked at the first one to come to northern illinois when I was 19 (I'm only 30 so there you go). It was the first time I ever had okra and I did not know what turnip greens were, and they had to eplain to me that we had two different hams....

I believe they stopped selling the virginia ham at our cracker barrel....

anyway...no. waffle houses are like 90% concentrated in the south to this day. Yes there are a handful in cleveland and pennsylvania or whatever and some have moved west, but they are still a southern thing and will probably remain that way too....and I kinda hope so to be honest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area