U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-02-2010, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Macao
16,207 posts, read 39,523,483 times
Reputation: 9960

Advertisements

Louisville - is it pedestrian friendly? Mostly car-oriented? How is the layout?

Not that I wouldn't have a car, but it is nice to be able to walk around places without jumping in the car for nearly everything.

Also, if there is some walkable density...are there people around...or is just walkable in the fact that you COULD walk because there are sidewalks.

I guess, essentially, thinking of neighborhood settings where you can walk to the library, bookstores, restaurants, or whatever...without having to get in a car and drive to some mall that has everything, and what might be most common.

I guess I'm seeing if there are exceptions to the normal city-oriented layouts in the city...? Neighbood names I could google map would be real helpful
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2010, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
1,448 posts, read 4,542,644 times
Reputation: 890
No problem with restaurants, bookstores, museums or activities in the main part of downtown. The library is at the far end, however, and would make a nice hike from the river. Not impossible, but still a decent walk.

The biggest downside by far is the lack of a good grocery store downtown that you can walk to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Macao
16,207 posts, read 39,523,483 times
Reputation: 9960
Does Louisville have anything like Pittsburgh or Cincinnati/Covington...neighborhood areas...businesses intermixed with the residential...

I'm looking at google maps, and looks like a lot of residential and then downtown of course. But not much of things mixed together...

Also, Louisville has hills as well....are there hilly parts of Louisville...with neighborhood-like areas? Maybe something like Mt.Adams in Cincinnati?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 05:16 AM
 
7,021 posts, read 15,204,860 times
Reputation: 3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Does Louisville have anything like Pittsburgh or Cincinnati/Covington...neighborhood areas...businesses intermixed with the residential...

I'm looking at google maps, and looks like a lot of residential and then downtown of course. But not much of things mixed together...

Also, Louisville has hills as well....are there hilly parts of Louisville...with neighborhood-like areas? Maybe something like Mt.Adams in Cincinnati?
Yes and Yes. Louisville's Highlands IMO is much better than anything in Cincinnati. It mixes urban parks with grocery, any kind of food, late night cafe, movie theatre, etc all within walking distance. It is much more pedestrian active than anywhere in Cincinnati. From a pedestrian standpoint, it is similar to southside in Pittsburgh but not as "urban looking" and certainly probably safer. The commerical corridor of Bardstown Road does not have as many urban looking bulidings but it has much more day and night pedestrian activty than anyhwere in Cincinnati. There is good bars and nightlife there. There are plenty of hills around Cherokee Road and Cherokee and Seneca Parks in this region.

Along the Frankfort Avenue corridor in Louisville is where it reminds me more of Cincinnati, perhaps Mount Lookout area.

Louisville also has nice hills, but nothing like Cincinati or Pittsburgh, where the hills are larger.

Old Louisville is somewhat comprable to Over the Rhine, although alot safer. Downtown Louisville and Cincinnati still need lots of improvement. They are about equal from a nightlife standopoint, but Cincy has substantially more density, office jobs, as well as retail in their downtown (although all retail closes super early and has limited selections compared with suburban malls IMO).

Finally, you shouldn't judge too much by google maps..read about the city or come see it yourself! remember although Louisville is part Midwestern, it is also SOuthern and therefore has a different layout and urban history than its Midwest neighbors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 05:22 AM
 
7,021 posts, read 15,204,860 times
Reputation: 3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
No problem with restaurants, bookstores, museums or activities in the main part of downtown. The library is at the far end, however, and would make a nice hike from the river. Not impossible, but still a decent walk.

The biggest downside by far is the lack of a good grocery store downtown that you can walk to.
There are actually two very good urban/specialty grocers downtown. While it is true that there is no large Kroger or large supermarket (there is, however, "ghetto Kroger" located in SoBro at 4th and Breckenride), these small grocers provide the staples like milk, bread, cheese, etc. There is also a nice wine shop, and even the CVS on Fourth street live carries a few of the staples like milk, bread, cheese, etc.

The Bodega at Felice Home Page

New life in Theater Square brings hope of resurgence for restaurant/nightspot district at Fourth and Broadway - Business First of Louisville:
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Blue Ash, Ohio (Cincinnati)
2,786 posts, read 6,113,254 times
Reputation: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Yes and Yes. Louisville's Highlands IMO is much better than anything in Cincinnati. It mixes urban parks with grocery, any kind of food, late night cafe, movie theatre, etc all within walking distance. It is much more pedestrian active than anywhere in Cincinnati. From a pedestrian standpoint, it is similar to southside in Pittsburgh but not as "urban looking" and certainly probably safer. The commerical corridor of Bardstown Road does not have as many urban looking bulidings but it has much more day and night pedestrian activty than anyhwere in Cincinnati. There is good bars and nightlife there. There are plenty of hills around Cherokee Road and Cherokee and Seneca Parks in this region.

Along the Frankfort Avenue corridor in Louisville is where it reminds me more of Cincinnati, perhaps Mount Lookout area.

Louisville also has nice hills, but nothing like Cincinati or Pittsburgh, where the hills are larger.

Old Louisville is somewhat comprable to Over the Rhine, although alot safer. Downtown Louisville and Cincinnati still need lots of improvement. They are about equal from a nightlife standopoint, but Cincy has substantially more density, office jobs, as well as retail in their downtown (although all retail closes super early and has limited selections compared with suburban malls IMO).

Finally, you shouldn't judge too much by google maps..read about the city or come see it yourself! remember although Louisville is part Midwestern, it is also SOuthern and therefore has a different layout and urban history than its Midwest neighbors.

You don't find too many downtowns with a Nordstrom, Saks, and Macy's downtown like Cincinnati.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Dayton, OH
1,225 posts, read 4,173,733 times
Reputation: 540
There isnt a Nordstrom in downtown Cincy. Its out in the suburbs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 05:24 AM
 
7,021 posts, read 15,204,860 times
Reputation: 3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
There isnt a Nordstrom in downtown Cincy. Its out in the suburbs.
And it just opened. Also, in many regards, if I lived in Cincinnati, I would choose to shop at Nordstrom over Saks. I was recently in town shopping, and I must say that Saks closes very early and also has a pretty weak selection, especially as Saks goes. That said, I think it is a very nice thing to have a Saks and Macys in downtown Cincy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Dayton, OH
1,225 posts, read 4,173,733 times
Reputation: 540
The downtown Saks is actually subsidized by the city, or so I've read. I think the Macys is kept open since Cincy is the corporate HQ for the parent company.

But geez, who can afford it? I saw a green Burberry field jacket at Saks for over $800. Sticker shock.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top