U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Macao
16,255 posts, read 40,179,262 times
Reputation: 10040

Advertisements

How big is basketball in Kentucky?

Is it THE most popular sport...is it REGIONAL...more popular in other areas of Kentucky, maybe Lexington?

Indiana seems to be a basketball epicenter as well...is Louisville a part of that entire epicenter...does the Hoosier State get a bit of their desire from Louisville perhaps?

Is there another sport more popular...or is Basketball pretty much it? Are hoops set up outside fairly commonplace in driveways?

Also, would someone say it might even be more popular then horse races, etc.? Or is that just not said...?

Additionally, are basketball games something you'd see played in most sports bars?

(I might duplicate a form of this on the KY thread as well)...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2010, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
209 posts, read 694,328 times
Reputation: 136
Hey, don't ever say Kentucky basketball is an extension of Indiana LOL...

Basketball is huge here. It is the life-blood of the state - high school and college. Our state high school championship is a tremendous event. Novelist Bobbie Ann Mason has written about it.

There is a wonderful documentary about basketball in Kentucky narrated by Ashley Judd (who still shows up at University of Kentucky games).

Louisville, and, even more so, Lexington live for basketball.

You have no idea. I would argue that, as a state, Kentucky cares about basketball more than any other state in the country (NC second, Indiana third)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Macao
16,255 posts, read 40,179,262 times
Reputation: 10040
Quote:
Originally Posted by louroclou View Post
You have no idea. I would argue that, as a state, Kentucky cares about basketball more than any other state in the country (NC second, Indiana third)
Ah....interesting. My brother, one of the biggest basketball addicts I have ever known in my entire life....once said that he was thinking of moving to NC when he retires.

At the time he said it, it crossed my mind that NC must be a state strongly centered around basketball...

This confirms that passing thought I had at that moment...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,648 posts, read 15,818,588 times
Reputation: 6686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How big is basketball in Kentucky?

Is it THE most popular sport...is it REGIONAL...more popular in other areas of Kentucky, maybe Lexington?

Indiana seems to be a basketball epicenter as well...is Louisville a part of that entire epicenter...does the Hoosier State get a bit of their desire from Louisville perhaps?

Is there another sport more popular...or is Basketball pretty much it? Are hoops set up outside fairly commonplace in driveways?

Also, would someone say it might even be more popular then horse races, etc.? Or is that just not said...?

Additionally, are basketball games something you'd see played in most sports bars?

(I might duplicate a form of this on the KY thread as well)...
Basketball is all Kentucky has.

Basketball is huge in Indiana too; but we have other things to do with our time as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 PM
 
7,021 posts, read 15,498,323 times
Reputation: 3481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Basketball is all Kentucky has.

Basketball is huge in Indiana too; but we have other things to do with our time as well.
Indiana? lol please....with the exception of pro sports KY and IN are pretty identical in terms of amenities, and Cincinnati is close enough for that. I'd argue Louisville is a much more hip city than Indianapolis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,446 posts, read 15,438,516 times
Reputation: 6938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Basketball is all Kentucky has.

Basketball is huge in Indiana too; but we have other things to do with our time as well.
Good post! In Kentucky basketball is the most important thing in the universe, a reason for living. Guns and bibles probably rate very high as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
25,992 posts, read 38,364,479 times
Reputation: 38297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Basketball is all Kentucky has.

Basketball is huge in Indiana too; but we have other things to do with our time as well.
Uh... Kentucky Derby anyone?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Bucky Palace, London
114 posts, read 231,274 times
Reputation: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Good post! In Kentucky basketball is the most important thing in the universe, a reason for living. Guns and bibles probably rate very high as well.
Oh dear - guns??? . Just out of curiosity when is the basketball season? Do any sports play in Feb/March in the Louisville area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,648 posts, read 15,818,588 times
Reputation: 6686
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Indiana? lol please....with the exception of pro sports KY and IN are pretty identical in terms of amenities, and Cincinnati is close enough for that. I'd argue Louisville is a much more hip city than Indianapolis.
This is a thread about sports; not really sure what the ratio of hipsters to emo belts has to do with that.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 01-13-2010 at 04:29 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,446 posts, read 15,438,516 times
Reputation: 6938
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Liz View Post
Oh dear - guns??? . Just out of curiosity when is the basketball season? Do any sports play in Feb/March in the Louisville area?
I'm not sure of the season's duration. March Madness is the frantic frenzy time. I guess the most boring time of year for Kentuckians is summer; no basketball, too early for football, no hunting season.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top