Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 8,799 times

Advertisements

I am up for a position at Fort Knox. I like city living. How reasonable is it to live in or relatively near Louisville, so that I can enjoy the city's amenities during my personal time, and commute to and from Fort Knox? Any neighborhoods suggested? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Manchette View Post
I am up for a position at Fort Knox. I like city living. How reasonable is it to live in or relatively near Louisville, so that I can enjoy the city's amenities during my personal time, and commute to and from Fort Knox? Any neighborhoods suggested? Thanks.
SW Louisville would be the most reasonable commute to Knox.

To give you an idea:

Valley Station, KY to Fort Knox, KY - Google Maps
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ta...o%20ft.%20knox

Old 02-20-2010, 08:40 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,079,726 times
For helping you plan, from 'inside' Ft Knox (not from the gate), it takes an hour to get to the airport. You're going to have to describe your type of neighorhood preferences, ammenties, etc. for some of us locals to provide you more information.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 8,799 times
I like bohemian neighborhoods with things like independent coffee shops, used or independent bookstores. Things like that. From what I understand, neighborhoods like The Highlands or Crescent Hill would be my cup of tea, but are too far for a reasonable commute.

I realize there may not be neighborhoods exactly like that more directly in the Louisville to FK corridor. But I am definitely not looking for sleepy bedroom communities or newer housing developments. Something with some character would be better. Of course, if I get the job (and I am keeping my fingers crossed), I would not mind driving home and then, if I felt like it on any particular night, going out to the funkier areas. But that is a different thing than having to drive there if I lived there. Some middle ground - independent amenities, non-bedroom communities - but without quite as much as The Highlands or Crescent Hill, would still be ok.

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:27 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times
I'm guessing that finding a carpool from post to Louisville might help with the commuting costs; I commuted from Boise, ID out to Mountain Home AFB, ID (about 50 miles) and there were more than a few carpools to chose from. I'm guessing that there are probably more than a few soldiers and civilians that prefer the amenities of Louisville vs. living near post. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:36 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
HomepageThere is always ticket to ride...

Old 02-25-2010, 02:37 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
look at the van pool... there are several from Louisville to Ft Knox

Old 04-14-2010, 08:56 AM

13 posts, read 41,946 times
WOW! Just came back from a power trip to find a home close to Fort Knox, KY. I visited over 30 homes everywhere from Louisville to E-Town and points in between. Here is what I learned: Realtors that handle E-Town don't have access to the Louisville Area MLS and vice versa. Don't trust realtor.com because one listing in particular was listed over 4400 sq ft and went from 189 to 174 while I was there and looked totally awesome inside. It was a short sale and when I was 1/2 way to the prop Realtor called to explain pictures were not reflective of the property - can you say FRAUD. Apparently it was trashed - windows hanging of the walls over 50K to repair easy. My suggestion is to look for yourself and call the listing agent directly. The agent has financial incentive to get you in - they get both selling and buying commission. If you're looking for rentals - few and far between with a ton of scammers on craigslist. Good news is Found what I was looking for in E-Town, owners letting me rent it until close.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:58 AM

17 posts, read 44,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Manchette View Post

I used to live in the Buechel area which was a 45 minute drive each way and cost me a lot of gas. It depends what is important to your choice of neighborhood. (i.e., affordability, diversity, safety)

Old 04-23-2010, 07:44 PM

206 posts, read 344,410 times
I was out in Louisville last week house hunting. I am working at Knox too, transferring from Virginia. I found the East End, although far, was just too awesome to turn down. Although I saw a ton of nice homes, I have to wait for the owners to put them up for sale. LOL. I was really impressed with that side of town and I'm living there and will get to work whatever way I can. Vanpool, drive, hitch hike. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area