Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:05 AM

3 posts, read 48,146 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this city and state. I got my first full paycheck yesterday and when I was looking at the paycheck stub, I realized that city taxes were taken out. This city tax is new to me and I was wondering what this is; is this something that can be refunded on next year's tax like federal and state taxes? I live in the Lyndon area and work in Shively...so both Louisville and Shively taxes were taken out. Is this correct? If there's a link that would give me more information, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 12:16 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miabellarose View Post
I'm new to this city and state. I got my first full paycheck yesterday and when I was looking at the paycheck stub, I realized that city taxes were taken out. This city tax is new to me and I was wondering what this is; is this something that can be refunded on next year's tax like federal and state taxes? I live in the Lyndon area and work in Shively...so both Louisville and Shively taxes were taken out. Is this correct? If there's a link that would give me more information, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Welcome to the world of "occupational taxes" Yes, the dual tax rates are correct, but they are balanced so no one pays more or less anywhere in Jefferson County, just depends upon which taxing body gets what share.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 48,146 times
Thanks for the reply...but is the occupational tax something that I can get back on next year's return? Because the occupational tax or how much is being taken out seems really high to me.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:11 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Post How we are taxed

I don't think you can itemize or "get back" any of the city taxes like you mention. They are completely independent of the state and fed taxes and both of those don't give you any breaks for your city tax(es). I only thought you got taxed on where you worked vs. ALSO where you live. The local tax is computed at 2 or 2 and half percent so whatever your paycheck shows is what is taxed - regardless of how many deductions, exemptions, houses you own, dogs, cats, cars, etc.

However, you can get exemptions (or the money returned to you) for those days you do not physically work in the city. Meaning that you if you are in Seattle for a week at a conference, you can get that week's of taxes (the "where you work" taxes) refunded back to you. Of course this means you will have to start itemizing every single day you work in Louisville and those days you don't.

Louisville and Lexington are both in the top-10 cities for highest city payroll taxes. A high occupancy tax (or called a 'worker tax') could jeopardize future businesses from moving here vs. moving into an adjacent county where their workers get an immediate (virtual) raise of 2% by just their location of the building. They could remove the city taxes and just raise our sales tax another 3% but city government seems to like the way things are now. A sales tax would be shared by all vs. just those that work. http://www.louisvilleky.gov/yourtaxd...work/where.htm

Last edited by johnsonkk; 01-31-2010 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Added link

Old 02-01-2010, 11:41 AM

69 posts, read 203,330 times
I am also filing here for the first time.

Now when I lived in Michigan and worked in the city of Detroit, I had to actually file a City of Detroit Tax Return. However, I cannot find any such form for Louisville. Do I NOT file a tax return for just the city? Do I just file the KY State return?

Thank you in advance.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:52 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honesty1022 View Post
I am also filing here for the first time.

Now when I lived in Michigan and worked in the city of Detroit, I had to actually file a City of Detroit Tax Return. However, I cannot find any such form for Louisville. Do I NOT file a tax return for just the city? Do I just file the KY State return?

Thank you in advance.
No, the Louisville tax is not an income tax, but more like a sales tax. These taxes are a deduction to be placed on your federal income tax return if you itemize rather than taking the standard deduction.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:13 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Default good link

Here is a good link that can answer a lot of the 'occupational tax' questions. FAQ - Help/Resources - LouisvilleKy.gov

and another:
Jefferson County - Taxes and Incentives

Old 08-25-2016, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 6,036 times
What is the Shively , ky municipal tax for automobile insurance rate. My policy is charging 11 1/2%. Is this right? That's nearly double the state tax.thanks

Old 09-28-2016, 02:07 PM

5 posts, read 8,590 times
Default City Taxes

If your employer withholds the local tax, you don't have to file a local return.
If your employer does not withhold, you have to file a local return and pay it all.

You can get a partial refund if you work outside of Louisville. Keep track of any days spent traveling, etc.

If you want to not pay it, work outside of Louisville.

If you work in Louisville but do not live in Louisville, you will still have to pay, but you will pay 1.45% instead of 2.2% because they remove the school board portion of the tax.

Also, if you itemize deductions on your state and federal returns:
- You can deduct local taxes paid on your state return, and
- You can deduct local and state taxes paid on your federal return.

It goes to a general fund, the school board, and the transportation authority.

It is a stupid tax, but it is not uncommon. However, some major cities do not have them, which makes Louisville look a little full of itself.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:33 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
One advantage of local taxes on work is that fewer people will want to work where the taxes are highest, and therefore the jobs available there have fewer applicants competing to get those jobs. So you can get a better job easier, by simply applying for more jobs. If you want a promotion, and your boss won't give you one, you can apply to other companies, who might have a shortage of higher level employees, because qualified people who might have wanted those jobs might prefer jobs in other cities. The more qualified they are, the easier it is for them to get whatever job they want, wherever they want. So the tax gives an advantage to those who are a little less qualified, but want a chance to get more experience at higher level work and improve their qualifications by that experience. Then, once you become more experienced and more qualified, you can move to a city with a better tax structure, if you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area