Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 04:07 PM

5 posts, read 12,291 times

Advertisements

I know that last one is totally different than the first two cities, but we have family in St. Louis so it is in the running.
Our house outside of Seattle is for sale, when it sells we plan to move to one of the three listed areas. We are looking for:

1. Racial diversity (we have 5 boys, 3 are Ethiopian, 2 are white).
2. An older home on at least 1/2 an acre priced under 140K, ok if it needs work.
3. Low crime.
4. Close to recreation such as hiking, fishing, camping.
5. Decent schools, don't have to be super as I do lots of homeschooling.
6. I haven't been to a mall in seven years and I hate Walmart so could care less how close our home is to those two things. We could be 30 minutes out of the city and that would be fine.

My husband does custom woodworking, but can do many construction type things. I am an English teacher by trade.

We won't have a mortgage so income needs won't be as large as they are in our current situation.

Our greatest concern is for the welfare of our kids.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 05:47 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Default Louisville

Hands down, Louisville. Louisville, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy boots View Post
I know that last one is totally different than the first two cities, but we have family in St. Louis so it is in the running.
Our house outside of Seattle is for sale, when it sells we plan to move to one of the three listed areas. We are looking for:

1. Racial diversity (we have 5 boys, 3 are Ethiopian, 2 are white).
2. An older home on at least 1/2 an acre priced under 140K, ok if it needs work.
3. Low crime.
4. Close to recreation such as hiking, fishing, camping.
5. Decent schools, don't have to be super as I do lots of homeschooling.
6. I haven't been to a mall in seven years and I hate Walmart so could care less how close our home is to those two things. We could be 30 minutes out of the city and that would be fine.

My husband does custom woodworking, but can do many construction type things. I am an English teacher by trade.

We won't have a mortgage so income needs won't be as large as they are in our current situation.

Our greatest concern is for the welfare of our kids.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Louisville is more like St Louis than you think, only half the metro size. Louisville and nashville are similar in size but little else. Nashville is growing much faster and suffers from twice as much traffic and sprawl. Climate wise they are all similar with Nashville being 5 degrees warmer on almost any given day and with milder winters.

Louisville hands down. I'd pick STL if you want a bit bigger city with more of a metro feel.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:50 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Louisville is more like St Louis than you think, only half the metro size. Louisville and nashville are similar in size but little else. Nashville is growing much faster and suffers from twice as much traffic and sprawl. Climate wise they are all similar with Nashville being 5 degrees warmer on almost any given day and with milder winters.

Louisville hands down. I'd pick STL if you want a bit bigger city with more of a metro feel.
I usually agree with you stx, but in my travels I have found Nashville and Louisville are very similar. Nashville has more of a country vibe, but both share similar cultural attitudes and values. Both are mid-south cities, with Nashville having a little more connection with the lower south. Both have vibrant downtown areas and a pretty low cost of living. Thats just my 2 cents though.

BTW I would choose Louisville.

Last edited by mdawg; 01-18-2010 at 10:19 PM..

Old 01-18-2010, 09:31 PM

688 posts, read 1,488,967 times
Louisville would do you nice, I think. By the way, some of the best friends I ever had in school (or anywhere) were Ethiopians I befriended and stayed all night in my house back in the 1980's at Cumberland College in Williamsburg, Ky., and later at U.K. in Lexington. I lost contact over the years with most of them, unfortunately, my fault for not staying in touch with them. Some of most intellegent students, whether American or international, I've ever seen. Anyway, the Ethiopians I knew adjusted VERY WELL to Kentucky in general, and I include rural as well as urban Ky. The other aspects of racial diversity I am no expert on, but Louisville will be diverse enough. Plus, Louisville is, for a metropolitan area, a pretty friendly place, and I, as a rural Kentuckian, say this. I also like Nashville, not as much St. Louis, but then again, just me.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:17 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
I like all three but I have to say Louisville cause I'm from here

Old 01-20-2010, 08:53 AM

51 posts, read 110,656 times
Louisville would be the best choice, St louis is nice but the crime is really bad there.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:02 PM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 283,657 times
Muddy Boots,
IMHO, you should look closely at Shelbyville. You should find just about everything you're looking for there, and it would be a great place for your husband to network for business.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin8868 View Post
Louisville would be the best choice, St louis is nice but the crime is really bad there.
Only in certain areas, the vast majority of the city is safe. Its simple, if you want a smaller city, go with Louisville or Nashville. If you want the bigger city feel, go with St Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area