Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 01:33 AM

2 posts, read 9,572 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm wanting to know if anyone has any information about a certain house that once stood where the wal mart now exists in fern creek off the Snyder and Bardstown Road. I know that this structure was razed quite some time ago, but any information on it would be helpful.

I grew up in the area and had a keen interest in the building and was heartbroken when they tore it down to build a Applebees and a Walmart. It really was one of the most beautiful houses I've ever seen, and now wish I would have photographed it before it's demise.

I scoured the internet as best I could, but all I could come up with was this map of the area from 1913:
[url=http://digital.library.louisville.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/maps&CISOPTR=206&CISOSHOW=166]CONTENTdm Collection : Compound Object Viewer[/url]

The structure stood around where Cedar Creek forks shortly before it intersects with Bardstown Road. There are three Estates that it could have belonged to: Baker, Groves, and Bates. Internet searches on all these names have turned up nothing.

If anyone has any information it would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 07:29 PM

79 posts, read 227,450 times
If you live in Fern Creek, I would go to the library and look up the history of Fern Creek. Perhaps a historian may be able to help you out.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,447 times
I believe the mansion you refer to is the Schmidt Estate. When I was in high school I worked for Mrs Schmidt as a grounds keeper. She and her late husband owned Coca-Cola in the tri-state area. The property ran from where the Walmart is currently to where the Gene Snyder ramp is currently.

There was the main house, A log cabin ballroom, and three green houses. A creek ran through the property and came out onto the edge of Bardstown road. The cabin could be seen from bardstown road. There was also a rental house that was on the far end. (Which would be right where the Gene Snyder expressway is now)

The rental house was used by the main grounds keeper. His name was T. Poole.

If I can help with any additional info, you can e-mail me at: Moderator cut: Please do not post your private email. They can DM you and exchange that information if that's what you both want

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-23-2017 at 02:30 AM..

Old 01-03-2015, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,787 times
Did you ever find anything out about this house?

Old 01-05-2015, 08:38 PM

70 posts, read 99,906 times
When was the home tore down. I grew up in the area and went to that kroger all the time. However I don't remember a house or much of anything being on that land.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,581 times
Default mansion at walmart in fern creek

I just finished perusing the books 200 Years of Lore and Legacy , a 2-volume history of the Fern Creek area, compiled by the Fern Creek Women's Club, which I checked out of the Fern Creek Library. Very thorough and comprehensive. According to this history, the mansion was indeed owned by the Schmidt's and was called Lad 'n' Lassie, however, the land was owned by earlier settlers of the area. There are a few pictures included, as well as a discussion of the early landowners and subsequent land transactions. If you are interested in Fern Creek history, it would be well worth your time to check out these volumes.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:50 AM

3 posts, read 9,814 times
I have information on this house.. I befriended you. Or you can email me. At Moderator cut: Please do not post your private email. They can DM you and exchange that information if that's what you both want.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-23-2017 at 02:32 AM..

Old 08-23-2017, 12:38 AM

That was the Lad N Lassie the Martin Schmidt Family Estate. The house was originally owned by James Guthrie he was a first lieutenant in the Pennsylvania Infantry in the Revolutionary War. He was born in Delaware in 1750. Guthrie died in 1841 and at that time his tract of land along the Bardstown Turnpike had grown up to 1199 acres by the addition of land east of the first track. Lad N Lassie occupied portions of both the original Grant and the later acquisition. Guthries Widow died in 1850 and on June 3rd 1853 their daughter Margaret sold a part of her assigned share to Richard Sparks. After his death is property passed to his son Albert Sparks. Flores Parks the Widow of Albert subsequently became the owner on June 17th 1927 and on this date she sold 16.33 acres to Martin L Schmidt.
Martin L Schmidt also bought 17.5 Acres from the Bates family and in three separate purchases. It apparently was on the southern part of Jacob Johnson's property.
Following the death of Flora Sparks (she was murdered and the killer was never caught) her executor so 39 Acres of the land to Henrietta Schneider March 21st 1935.
On February 29th 1939 Miss Martin Schmidt 5.96 Acres of this property from mrs. Schneider.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:51 AM

My mistake it was Viola Sparks that was murdered oops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area