U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2010, 09:26 AM
 
55 posts, read 264,154 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

My family and I just moved here a month or so ago. I am (we all are)terribly homesick and not sure how long our stay will be. Can anyone give any insight on the stability of the housing market in Oldham County? What's the "average" time that houses are on the market before they sell? My questions may be premature, but I just want to have an idea of what we may be up against if we decide to move back home and need to sell.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2010, 12:32 PM
 
31 posts, read 101,526 times
Reputation: 13
Honestly, with the market being shakey as it is, if you're not sure you're ready to commit to at least 5 years, I would just rent a nice house somewhere.

If you find you dont like it here and want to move, you'll be in a tough situation potentially.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2010, 12:44 PM
 
55 posts, read 264,154 times
Reputation: 41
Well, that wasn't exactly the answer I was hoping for. We bought already. I'm sick to my stomach about this whole thing. We never really considered renting and now I am so kicking myself. I know a month is not a long time, but I really just want to go home. Are you in real estate?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2010, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,825 posts, read 13,626,915 times
Reputation: 2145
Delaney, any home priced appropriately, will sell quickly. The major issue currently affecting most home sales anywhere in the US, Kentucky and/or Oldham County is equity. Today's Oldham Era (local newspaper) has as many notices of "Master Commissioner Sales" as I can remember mostly due to the very extreme market value to equity ratio.

I am the Principal Broker of an Oldham County firm. Our agents are writing contracts daily which means homes are selling. You just have to be reasonable in your price expectations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2010, 08:00 PM
 
7,021 posts, read 15,381,145 times
Reputation: 3463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney72 View Post
Well, that wasn't exactly the answer I was hoping for. We bought already. I'm sick to my stomach about this whole thing. We never really considered renting and now I am so kicking myself. I know a month is not a long time, but I really just want to go home. Are you in real estate?
Where is home? Why did you move to Oldham? Why do you want to leave?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 06:34 PM
 
31 posts, read 101,526 times
Reputation: 13
No, I am not in real estate, so certainly take that into account.

However, in my mind, common sense dictates that in this market, you will struggle to even break-even if you are looking to sell in the short term (say, a year or two). Unless you get a great deal, why get yourself "stuck" somewhere you don't know if you want to be in?

Keep in mind too, that when you sell you'll likely have some upkeep costs in there, 6% or so in real-estate commissions, etc.

If you knew you wanted to be here for sure, I'd say go for it. However, being where you want to be is infinitely more important than owning a home, IMHO, at least.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,825 posts, read 13,626,915 times
Reputation: 2145
Delaney, what I didn't say previously is that I am so sad you wish to throw in the towel. Oldham County is a wonderful place to live, to raise a family, and to retire. This is simply not my opinion, but rather the opinion of thousands of fellow Oldham County immigrants. We are a welcoming community to people of all faiths, races, socio-economic levels, and political persuasions. Moving here in the harshest winter in many years doesn't help you, I understand.

I have nothing to sell you so don't be afraid to express your concerns. There are 30,000 people living in Oldham who are like you, immigrants. How do we help you fix your homesickness, that is quite simply up to you. If you will allow us to be, you'll find lots of people willing to be friends. Let us just do it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 04:39 AM
 
Location: Prospect, KY
5,284 posts, read 19,196,507 times
Reputation: 6645
Just wait until spring - Oldlham county is beautiful and growing....there are wonderful people here in KY and some interesting things to do and see...give yourself 6 months and see how you feel. There is a lot to like about this area of KY.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 04:54 PM
 
55 posts, read 264,154 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Delaney, what I didn't say previously is that I am so sad you wish to throw in the towel. Oldham County is a wonderful place to live, to raise a family, and to retire. This is simply not my opinion, but rather the opinion of thousands of fellow Oldham County immigrants. We are a welcoming community to people of all faiths, races, socio-economic levels, and political persuasions. Moving here in the harshest winter in many years doesn't help you, I understand.

I have nothing to sell you so don't be afraid to express your concerns. There are 30,000 people living in Oldham who are like you, immigrants. How do we help you fix your homesickness, that is quite simply up to you. If you will allow us to be, you'll find lots of people willing to be friends. Let us just do it!

I appreciate all the comments. This move has certainly been very hard. We moved from a town that both my husband and I grew up in, all our family,friends are there etc. I did a ton of research on the Oldham County area and thought it would be a great fit. It is however very different that what we are use to. We had hoped to find a house in the Prospect area b/c it has a more suburban feel that we enjoy. Things just didn't work out that way and the house we ended up buying is in Buckner which feels very rural. The house had everything we needed, it was a fantastic deal, but I guess that's not everything. I'm hoping when the weather turns and more people are out and about we will meet some nice people. The weather has been absolutely awful since we arrived a month ago. There has been more snow here than Connecticut which is where we are from. Anyway, the school sent some info about Oldham County home with the kids on Friday and hopefully it will be helpful.
Thanks again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
666 posts, read 2,401,730 times
Reputation: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney72 View Post
I appreciate all the comments. This move has certainly been very hard. We moved from a town that both my husband and I grew up in, all our family,friends are there etc. I did a ton of research on the Oldham County area and thought it would be a great fit. It is however very different that what we are use to. We had hoped to find a house in the Prospect area b/c it has a more suburban feel that we enjoy. Things just didn't work out that way and the house we ended up buying is in Buckner which feels very rural. The house had everything we needed, it was a fantastic deal, but I guess that's not everything. I'm hoping when the weather turns and more people are out and about we will meet some nice people. The weather has been absolutely awful since we arrived a month ago. There has been more snow here than Connecticut which is where we are from. Anyway, the school sent some info about Oldham County home with the kids on Friday and hopefully it will be helpful.
Thanks again.
Have you thought about joining the YMCA? That is how a lot of families get to know each other, other than through their children's school. And I know how you feel about living in Buckner. Friends of mine live near KY 393 and 22, and whenever I go out there, I feel like I am isolated and in the middle of nowhere, even though it isn't that far away from shopping, restaurants, etc. That area isn't my cup of tea, I like to live closer to everything, but I definitely understand where you are coming from. By next month, the weather should get a lot nicer and you all will have a chance to get out and do things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:54 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top