Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:35 PM

222 posts, read 385,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCherie View Post
But my kids are not bigots and I believe bussing really helped them avoid getting that idea.
Interestingly enough, spending three years at Noe Middle School (I attended YPAS in 6th, 7th grades) had exactly the opposite effect on me.

Being continually picked on, laughed at, made to feel inferior, and beaten up on several occasions because I had the audacity to show up in clean clothes, pay for my lunches, and wear white skin left quite the impression on me at such an impressionable young age. In fact, I'd go so far to say it's still a big part of who I am today.

Looking back now, I put a lot of the blame on the entirely useless faculty there for not making any attempt to stop what was happening not only to me, but many other kids in my same situation at the school; but the **** poor faculties on hand at many JCPS schools is only yet another reason to keep my kids as far away as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,384 times
New to the site, I was reading this thread, and was going to pass on commenting, but then continued to read felt the need to speak on this issue. I was bused to a predominately white school in 6th grade, then in 7th and 8th grade was bused back to my district, I saw the difference those two years and knew that my high school years had to be different, my parents moved right before high school and i got "bused" in the other directions to a different school, I fought and went to the board to go to the school of my choice which was largely white. Their curriculum and programs back then for business classes were great, and their choir had a stellar program. After graduating, I went on to college on choir scholarships that I won through competition at that school, and had great success in the field of advertising for many years until a health problem sideline me for bit. Not to be down and out totally, I regrouped, refocused, made some changes and I got back up and move forward... My parents stressed education, my mother and father worked, and i grew up in what back then was classified as a middle class neighborhood, with people who got up every morning and went to work.

My point is this, though my family was a huge part of my success in life, my school was also, in fact when i recently heard that my school was now being on the list of consideration for closure i was sadden by that news, they have a different principal there now, and a bigger minority mix, ( I am not saying that is the problem, i am just noting the difference from when i was there, I myself am minority.)
There was a time, when this school out performed even the private schools in the area. Over the years no matter where i lived whether it was the northwest or midwest, I gave and still give credit to this school, the teachers, and the programs, they taught discipline, responsibility, and team work along with the curriculums, I had really good teachers from all walks of life and background. Their daily motivation, teaching and planning to make me the best that I could be paid off enormously, an i would not trade it for the world. Just my food for thought.

Last edited by downtoearthalso; 05-18-2010 at 08:54 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 12:53 AM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveKentucky View Post
Just like a true liberal jclaude attacks on the emotional level instead of using facts and figures (nice work Jeff). I really feel sorry for the libs. It must be a frustrating life to sit around and expect everyone to do something for you while shoving twinkies in your pie hole!!
sounds like your a true liberal then

Old 06-01-2010, 04:16 AM

4 posts, read 8,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post
So, my husband and I have considered applying to JCPS because like somone else here, I attended a job fair and they seemed to be on top of things...but no mention of the bussing etc.

So, my issue is...we have a daughter and while she is only a few months old, we are both teachers and education is important to us. We were both active in athletics, music and school leadership so we want our daughter to be involved as well and to have friends she can be with that don't live 40 minutes away.

I guess I'm saying...I can teach anywhere. But I want my daughter to have the best education. There is no way to send her to one of the better schools in the county? It's just a "take what your given" kind of deal?
That's one of the benefits of bussing. Your child can go to ANY public school in the county as long as you get her registered before they hit the max. I too was a stickler for my kid's education. Most neighborhoods have kids in them, so your daughter will most surely have kids she could play with. I grew up with a lot of Catholics who went to the parochial schools, so I had a lot of friends from school and neighborhood combined. When she approaches high school, you can get her into schools that include subjects she is highly interested in. Your older schools, like Male and Manual have foundations that provide scholarships in addition to one's offered by colleges.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:20 AM

I readily agree that restrictions on school discipline has created problems for the families and the future lives of the students. That's why I'm a strong supporter of schools that parents agree to support behavior and dress codes.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,925 times
At a time when budgets are strap for cash, I watched two buses drive past my house this morning. My daughter caught the third bus going to a school far from our house. What a joke. Berman has to leave. Go home to his blue state and leave us alone.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:15 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,846 times
OH MY GOODNESS! Children NOT being taken to the correct drop off point. Accidents happen, yes they do. But one of these FIVE year olds had a BUS TRANSFER and that's where the problem was. BUS TRANSFER for a precious FIVE YEAR OLD?

FIVE YEAR OLDS SHOULD NOT HAVE TO CHANGE BUSSES JUST GO ATTEND A PUBLIC SCHOOL. This "non-bussing" bussing of Jefferson County SUCKS.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntxky View Post
At a time when budgets are strap for cash, I watched two buses drive past my house this morning. My daughter caught the third bus going to a school far from our house. What a joke. Berman has to leave. Go home to his blue state and leave us alone.
Depending on where you live, that's not surprising. I have a g-daughter who attends elementary school, but the older one's attend middle and senior high in the opposite direction, so there's two going down the same streets til they get to a certain cross-street.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:56 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
There are homes for sale in Oldham County.

Last edited by tomocox; 08-18-2010 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: To keep Mod from thinking I am advertising.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,925 times
How do we stop the madness? Wasting our tax dollars on multiple buses going on the same routes. The JCPS clowns have decided a good way to spend our money is to send two or more buses on every route in JeffersonCounty. In the real world, they would be fired.

I propose we start a non-profit, "Clean up JCPS". If this organization existed today, I would make a large donation. If managed properly, "Clean up JCPS" could back school board candidates with a brain. I can't believe more than one idiot in the same organization thinks it's OK for 5 year old kids to navigate a bus depot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area