U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 AM

124 posts, read 224,679 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!!

I am 25 yo female that will potentially be moving to Louisville and I would love some advice from you KY natives about where to live, good places to go, basically what is the general "feel" of Louisville.

Here is some general info and preferences:

- If all goes well, I will be working at THE VA.
- I am willing to spend between $500 - 750 dollars for a one or two bedroom apt. I would rather stay in a spacious one bedroom, than a tiny two bedroom. I don't want roommates. I would def prefer an apt or condo that is plush, and I am willing to pay more for that.
- Right now I commute about 35 min so that or less is fine, although ideally I would like to be able to not drive to work at all.
- NO kids. Although I do have two nieces and a nephew (13, 4, 6months) who will visit me occasionally, and I would like to be a reasonable distance to places that would be safe and fun to take them.
-I want a neighborhood that is safe. That is most important. I prefer to live in the city. I am a young professional and I would prefer to live in a area that caters more to that. Being able to walk to the laundromat, grocery store, etc would be cool since where I live now, I have to commute EVERYWHERE.
- I would prefer to have a fitness center, pool, and laundromat very close or on site. Also a gated entry complex would be a plus.

Thanks again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:01 AM

Would Jamestown of St. Matthews, or Highland Place be good places to rent? I know Highland Place is close to Zorn Avenue, and The VA is on Zorn Avenue.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:56 PM

666 posts, read 2,378,622 times
Jamestown isn't bad, but IMO there are better, and nicer places to live in that area for around the same price. Check out Waterford Place and Camden Meadows in St. Matthews, and River Oak off of Zorn Ave. Do you want to live in an apartment complex or would you rather live in a house that has been turned into condos or a stand alone building? The Highlands, St. Matthews, Crescent Hill, and the Zorn Ave. areas are all nice places to live. A lot of people your age hang out in these areas, especially on Bardstown Rd. in the Highlands and Shelbyville Rd. and Breckinridge Ln. in St. Matthews.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
Jamestown isn't bad, but IMO there are better, and nicer places to live in that area for around the same price. Check out Waterford Place and Camden Meadows in St. Matthews, and River Oak off of Zorn Ave. Do you want to live in an apartment complex or would you rather live in a house that has been turned into condos or a stand alone building? The Highlands, St. Matthews, Crescent Hill, and the Zorn Ave. areas are all nice places to live. A lot of people your age hang out in these areas, especially on Bardstown Rd. in the Highlands and Shelbyville Rd. and Breckinridge Ln. in St. Matthews.

I don't have a preference for a condo vs an apt, but I would rather not live in a "big house" turned condo or apts. I tend not to like the "feel" of those places. However if they are really nice, I would be willing to make an exception.

Thanks for the advice!! I will look in those areas!!

Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 PM

I would go on the Louisville craigslist and go to the apts / housing section and use keywords like, cherokee park, highlands, crescent hill, st. matthews, or zorn ave. These areas will best suit a young professional who likes to be in the middle of it all in terms of shopping, entertainment, bars, restaurants, parks etc. and still have great access to downtown and the VA Hospital. Good luck with your search.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:41 PM

25 posts, read 66,602 times
You wont need the gated complex in this area. The crime rate is extremely low outside of the toxic dump of West Louisville. We have great self defense laws in this state. Get your concealed carry license and be responsible for your own safety.

When I looked at apartments, your desired rent payment would be low for some of the nicer areas.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
I would go on the Louisville craigslist and go to the apts / housing section and use keywords like, cherokee park, highlands, crescent hill, st. matthews, or zorn ave. These areas will best suit a young professional who likes to be in the middle of it all in terms of shopping, entertainment, bars, restaurants, parks etc. and still have great access to downtown and the VA Hospital. Good luck with your search.

Thanks!!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveKentucky View Post
You wont need the gated complex in this area. The crime rate is extremely low outside of the toxic dump of West Louisville. We have great self defense laws in this state. Get your concealed carry license and be responsible for your own safety.

When I looked at apartments, your desired rent payment would be low for some of the nicer areas.
I agree. I am responsible for my own safety, but I want to live in a neighborhood that helps me, rather than complicates, me doing exactly that.

As far as my rent payment, really? I am willing to go up on my rent amount, but from the recommended areas that I have searched (Highlands, Cherokee Park, Crescent Hill) there doesn't seem to be a need. Could you be more specific as far as to what areas in particular would require more rent?

Old 03-02-2010, 04:03 PM

I don't know what LoveKentucky is talking about but the amount you are willing to pay in rent will get you a nice apartment in a nice area. All of those areas I told you about are nice, with the exception of a few apartments in each area. Just use your head and if you find a place that is a lot cheaper than other apartments around it, you probably want to stay away.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:00 PM

6,992 posts, read 15,127,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingfromAL View Post
Thanks!!
Craigslist is the way to go. I am vehemently against these large, corporate owned apartment complexes. I would much rather rent a house, flat, or condo from a private landlord off craigslist. If you look at several properties, you can also get a better feel for the lay of the land in the city. I would stray away from corporate owned large, parking lot infested apartment complexes. Their very nature makes it difficult to meet people.

That said, should you like this generic "apartment complex" vibe, the ones you want to look at are Camdem Oxmoor, Mallard Crossing, and Waterford Place. These have good amenities and draw in the most out of town young professionals from out of state. They are also centrally located in the metro area. That said, they are not urban at all and it is often not as easy to meet people as it would be as an urban, walkable area near Bardstown Rd or Frankfort Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area