U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 01:12 PM

32 posts, read 133,563 times

Advertisements

I'm having trouble finding information about this. We are moving to Louisville this summer and are planning to put our kids in Catholic school. I just learned that due to "shifting demographics" and other "trends" that there have been some church mergers. I also understand that some schools have merged while their corresponding churches have remained separate. There may be plans for future school mergers.

Does anyone have any information or links about this? I'd hate to enroll my kids in a school which was on a short list for mergers. I'd really like them to be in a school connected to its own church. This complicates things for us in our decision making process of where to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 02:22 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,261,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon girl View Post
I'm having trouble finding information about this. We are moving to Louisville this summer and are planning to put our kids in Catholic school. I just learned that due to "shifting demographics" and other "trends" that there have been some church mergers. I also understand that some schools have merged while their corresponding churches have remained separate. There may be plans for future school mergers.

Does anyone have any information or links about this? I'd hate to enroll my kids in a school which was on a short list for mergers. I'd really like them to be in a school connected to its own church. This complicates things for us in our decision making process of where to live.
Almost all the mergers have occured in SW and South county, although I think one merger happened in the Buechel area between St Pius X, St Bartholomeuw, and another school I cannot recall.

What schools were you considering? I think a rule of thumb is that if the enrollment is under 300, there is a chance of merger.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Almost all the mergers have occured in SW and South county, although I think one merger happened in the Buechel area between St Pius X, St Bartholomeuw, and another school I cannot recall.

What schools were you considering? I think a rule of thumb is that if the enrollment is under 300, there is a chance of merger.
I was looking at St. Agnes, St. Rafael, and St. Abert (all you recommended, thanks!) as well as Our Lady of Lourdes and possibly Ascension and St. Edward. I wasn't sure if the mergers were going to be widespread or not. I will definitely ask for enrollment numbers when we visit. Thanks for that tip!

Old 06-02-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon girl View Post
I was looking at St. Agnes, St. Rafael, and St. Abert (all you recommended, thanks!) as well as Our Lady of Lourdes and possibly Ascension and St. Edward. I wasn't sure if the mergers were going to be widespread or not. I will definitely ask for enrollment numbers when we visit. Thanks for that tip!
I doubt that any of those would merge in the near term, but you never know. St Agnes and St Rapheal are only a mile apart. As you know, Louisville was built like an old Midwestern city with Catholic churches in every small neighborhood. With changing demographics, and as people spread out, this has led to mergers. Most the mergers are in the S and SW part of the county though.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:32 PM

79 posts, read 400,696 times
Default School mergers...

I know one of the schools merging is Mother of Good Counsel, the merger won't be until the fall of 2008. A new school will be built off Gene Snyder and Brownsboro Rd.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama4mia View Post
I know one of the schools merging is Mother of Good Counsel, the merger won't be until the fall of 2008. A new school will be built off Gene Snyder and Brownsboro Rd.
Ah Yes, MGC merging with St Aloyious and one other is really the main merger in NE county.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:23 PM

79 posts, read 400,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Ah Yes, MGC merging with St Aloyious and one other is really the main merger in NE county.
STX, MGC is not merging with St. Aloysius, my kids went to MGC and I took them out after 1 year, real bad experience, and then they went to St Aloysius and 1 them will return there when we move back. My 2 best friends are at St Aloysius and 1 of them is a teacher there. MGC is merging with another school further south of the Gene Snyder. I can't recall the name but I could find out with one quick call.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama4mia View Post
STX, MGC is not merging with St. Aloysius, my kids went to MGC and I took them out after 1 year, real bad experience, and then they went to St Aloysius and 1 them will return there when we move back. My 2 best friends are at St Aloysius and 1 of them is a teacher there. MGC is merging with another school further south of the Gene Snyder. I can't recall the name but I could find out with one quick call.
Thank you for the correction. I believe MGC will merge with Transfiguration of Our Lord (correct me if I am wrong). I don't know, so many schools, so hard to keep up with. I do read the CJ every day though, so that is where I get my info.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:02 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,967,659 times
I am not Catholic but am wondering what are the mergers for?

Old 06-04-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I am not Catholic but am wondering what are the mergers for?
I have limited info (just what I hear from my friend there who has a son in Ascension) , but she tells me that it's mainly due to declining enrollment. At one time, I understand, there was a larger concentration of Catholic families. Now, there is much development spreading out from the core and due to the shifting demographics, the enrollment numbers in individual schools have gone down. She said some of the mergers thus far have involved keeping the churches separate, but combining the schools at one of the locations and shutting down the other. There have also been some church mergers as well. I understand that since I've lived there, there are new Catholic churches and schools that have either opened or will be opening further east of Louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area