U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 11:36 AM

336 posts, read 868,256 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent (2008) graduate from the University of Michigan in Flint. Of course, I can't get a job here. I'll be attending the Educators Career Fair tomorrow, and my jaw about hit the floor when I found out the Jeffererson County Public Schools was going to one of the districts in attendance. I LOVE Kentucky, but the Louisville area I think would be really a perfect place to live and work. Upon doing some homework on the district I found out they are anticipating about 150 elementary openings for next year, and became even more excited than I already was. I know I'm getting my hopes up here, but are there any teachers out there with advice on how to really dazzle the recruiters? What do they look for in a candidate?

I'm an elementary education major, but I'm certified in Language Arts and Social Studies for middle school also.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 08:15 AM

171 posts, read 360,420 times
Hope it went well. I have a couple of friends that are teachers. If you are still interested feel free to contact me.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:57 PM

Well...the teaching fair was kind of a bust. I didn't really get a chance to "talk" to anyone from JCPS. They basically were giving their sales pitch to groups of people at a time, collecting resumes, etc. I followed their directions for applying for a position, except that they said to call after submitting the teacher disposition survey and I haven't done that yet.

Any advice is still appreciated.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:27 PM

13 posts, read 32,045 times
Tricia819
Just wanted to wish you luck on your first year. I remember mine
I am in Florida and we are moving to Louisville area. AAUGHH

Old 03-17-2010, 06:47 PM

171 posts, read 360,420 times
I don't think it is too hard to get on as long as you can jump through the hoops. Call them. JCPS want every one to have a Masters but they usually hire B.A., B.S.'s and give them plenty of time and financial assistance to get their masters part time. I'm just a lowly real estate guy so I only know what I've heard my friends, who are teachers, have said about it. If you really want to pursue it, drop me an email and I'll put you in touch with a JCPS teacher.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:15 PM

I'm starting on my masters next semester. Fortunately, I checked the University of Louisville and they have a similar program to the one I'm starting so I should be able to transfer.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:39 PM

4,825 posts, read 13,759,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkennedy View Post
I don't think it is too hard to get on as long as you can jump through the hoops. Call them. JCPS want every one to have a Masters but they usually hire B.A., B.S.'s and give them plenty of time and financial assistance to get their masters part time. I'm just a lowly real estate guy so I only know what I've heard my friends, who are teachers, have said about it. If you really want to pursue it, drop me an email and I'll put you in touch with a JCPS teacher.
Kentucky law requires that teachers obtain their Masters degree within 10 years of receiving their teacher's license.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:57 PM

It's about the same here. I think when you add it up you have 12 years. You have to have eight semester credits within the first six years to renew the provisional certificate. However, you have to have sixteen within the following six years to get your professional certificate. I "think" you can request a second renewal on the provisional certificate if you don't have sixteen credits, but it's frowned upon so the requirements to get approved for it are ridiculous.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:07 PM

31 posts, read 78,172 times
You may already have a job but yes, Louisville can be a great place to live and work. Teachers can really feel appreciated here and a lot of the principles and teachers are pretty great. It makes the schools feel like a really good atmosphere to work in. I think more than anything, as long as you are professional with a good personality...you can probably get the job! They do want someone willing to work with diverse groups of kids and who, of course, will be reliable. There are a lot of schools in Louisville and getting a teaching job isnt too difficult like I know it is in some areas of MI or OH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area