Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:14 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times

Advertisements

Cool to see this thread resurrected. In February 2010, I had to decide between two Ph.D. programs -- one at the U of Louisville and one at some no-name school in Tennessee (Vanderbilt, if you must know). I really wanted to go to Louisville, however crazy that may sound. I have a child in second grade. When I called the school system office in Louisville to inquire about some addresses, I was told that no matter where I moved in Jefferson County, I could not be promised any particular school; my son would be assigned to a school when I brought in my lease showing residence. I couldn't believe it. You really want me to make a 12 month lease commitment, THEN find out where my son would be going to school. Seriously?

I chose Vanderbilt. I'm sure the U of L is doing fine without me, but I really, really--in all sincerity--loved the program there and wanted to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
After reviewing how there are different governments throughout the World's history, it's said that democratic rule is when the majority vote always win and that's our political system. This explains why every single member of the school board was re-elected to continue the push for school-busing when it's a complete failure on every level - education performance, neighborhood satisfaction, and over-taxation. I am simply amazed that more parents make the decision to continue living within Jefferson county's school board reach.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,424 times
Didn't the state of KY just either pass a new law or repeal an old law that is going to allow kids to go to the school closest to their home again?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
Didn't the state of KY just either pass a new law or repeal an old law that is going to allow kids to go to the school closest to their home again?
The Kentucky Senate just voted overwhelmingly to do so; however, to become law, the bill must pass in the House and Gov must sign. The Senate is heavily GOP, House and Governor are Demo.

Governor and former mayor of Louisville are running for Gov/Lt. Gov.. It's going to be interesting in this year's short session.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:59 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
The Kentucky Senate just voted overwhelmingly to do so; however, to become law, the bill must pass in the House and Gov must sign. The Senate is heavily GOP, House and Governor are Demo.

Governor and former mayor of Louisville are running for Gov/Lt. Gov.. It's going to be interesting in this year's short session.
Thanks for the update. I briefly glanced at an article in the CJ the other day, but didn't have time to read the whole thing. I personally would like to see kids able to go to school close to home. It just makes sense. If people are worried about integration, then work on improving the educational/economic opportunities and lowering crime in areas like the west side. If that was the focus and it could be done, integration would happen more naturally I think.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:13 PM

163 posts, read 428,603 times
Democrats are saying the bill is dead.

Democrats: Neighborhood schools bill dead in Kentucky House | courier-journal.com | The Courier-Journal

Old 01-18-2011, 07:36 AM

101 posts, read 195,354 times
Consider E-Town. Great Schools. Period. Worth the drive.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,678 times
I'm w/ meintennessee--come to the country! I expect that I'm showing up late to the party being that this forum began so long ago, however, I'd like to add my two cents. I currently live about 15 mi outside of Fort Knox in the town of Brandenburg. It's about 45 mins to Louisville. I moved here from Chesapeake, VA and have loved my new small town home. My husband is about to be transferred again with work and I am sad to go. For military folk, we live about 20 mins from Knox. Brandenburg is a small town with great schools and friendly people. The landscape here is beautiful as well. We live in a gated community with a pool, golf course and lake. Our street is a dead end cul de sac and we in our mid 30's are the youngest on the street. Our neighbors are mostly retired Army. Our neighborhood is full of fellow soldiers, their children, and makes for a nice blend of "transplants" from all over. We don't lock our doors and find that the quiet life we live here is well worth the tradeoff of a 15 min drive to Walmart. Check out Great Schools website, Meade Co. gets good ratings! We have been happy in Meade County! Best of luck in your search!!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:32 PM

30 posts, read 49,581 times
Yeah they have jacked the schools up bad and most parents hate it.I'm 29 when i went to school you went to school close to you but high school you could apply to any because they had the tech classes in every high school different.The idea of them was to teach you a job and by the time your out of school your in a job ready to work it.I learned how to weld at iroquois high school.Now they are sending kids all around to keep the race numbers and test schools more even,Before they had 2 schools they almost had to close over test scores being so low.My nephew has a 45 min bus ride to school and he lives right by a school he could walk to but its full.I do wonder what it cost them to ship all the kids around like they do diesel isn't cheap and school buses get like 12mpg if i remember right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area