Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 03:56 AM

93 posts, read 284,198 times

Advertisements

Definitely go to Thunder Over Louisville if you are looking to experience something completely different. April is one of the best times, if not, THE BEST time to visit Louisville. There is a lot going on. If there weather is nice, just about every where downtown and in the Highlands will be packed.

If you actually go to Thunder Over Louisville though, be prepared for HUGE crowds, big traffic jams, and being dead tired by the time you leave. We are talking upwards of 700,000 jammed into a strip of a few miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 06:04 AM

127 posts, read 355,336 times
any tips on going to thunder over louisville? We will more than likely come later in the day, 6ish, to see the fireworks and walk around a bit.

Parking?
Spectating spots?

Old 04-01-2010, 01:08 PM

171 posts, read 377,649 times
Wear comfortable shoes and be prepared to walk. Afterwards, be prepared to sit in traffic. For what it's worth, I prefer to park on the outskirts and walk in. That way I can make a quick getaway afterwards. It's worth the hassle and the air show before night fall is fun too. How often do you get to see fighter jets racing down a river valley and shooting straight up in the air.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:16 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post
any tips on going to thunder over louisville? We will more than likely come later in the day, 6ish, to see the fireworks and walk around a bit.

Parking?
Spectating spots?
Your best bet is to park somewhere in beautiful Old Louisville and take a bus into downtown. I believe it is the 4 bus. Check that route. You should be able to find easier parking in Old Louisville. By 6 PM the traffic picks up but it isnt too bad. If the day is warm like today though the event will draw close to a million people! Leaving the event is no worse than rush hour in a very big city. Usually only delays you 20 minutes to where you are going. The traffic plan has improved vastly and there are many streets that are converted to one way. Look on courier-journal.com the day before the event for a map of the traffic plan which is directed by police.

Should you feel compelled to park downtown. park on the western edge of it. Just try to stay east of 9th street, as to the west lies the hood. There is a very nice big garage I like on 7th street just south of main street. SHould be around 5 bucks so not bad.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:50 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,548 times
I usually park on/around River Rd. by the soccer fields. Its a good area to park especially if you are coming from, or going east of the city after Thunder. You have to walk a little ways but you get out pretty quickly.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:12 PM

37 posts, read 84,165 times
Check out Possibility City | Louisville and Louisville : GoToLouisville.com Official Travel Source for attractions in Louisville.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 10,719 times
I'm meeting a friend in Louisville this weekend (April 9th - 11th) and she loves eat, any advice on where to go for a great buffet? Also, if you know of any theatre going on or where to find that as well, please share!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourguide#4 View Post
I'm meeting a friend in Louisville this weekend (April 9th - 11th) and she loves eat, any advice on where to go for a great buffet? Also, if you know of any theatre going on or where to find that as well, please share!
Do buffet and theatre get along well? There are sme great theatre companies. I'd recommend a show at the Kentucky Center or Actor's Theatre. Before the show, I would get dinner at one of 2 places:
(but I am no foodie expert and I defer that to the experts I reference below)

Catering Louisville Kentucky :: Contemporary Dining

732 Social

The latter is especially interesting but not as walkable to the theatres downtown. It is a small place and can get very busy, and part of its trendiness is not to offer reservations, so call ahead.

Probably the most famous is Actor's theatre. There are also some very smallish theatre venues which are great. I believe there may be some Broadway plays in town this month. Check ticketmaster.

Here is where you can find what is going on:
For food advice, join this forum for free. Start a new thread, explain you are a visitor, give specific preferences, and the folks on the board will diagnose what kind of food you will crave. They have NEVER failed me

Commentary | LouisvilleHotBytes.com

Another good site for some (but not nearly all) locally owned eateries:

Louisville Originals - Home Page Louisville is a true diner's paradise and easily ranks top 20 in the country in the category IMO.

Some more sites:
Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more
Metromix | Your Restaurants, Nightlife & Events Guide
Home | Louisville's Alt-Weekly | LEO Weekly
Consuming Louisville* *

There seems to be some events that weekend including a Ballet, and a fairly well rated Actors Theatre Play.

Theatre Louisville

Old 04-05-2010, 09:22 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
There are sme great theatre companies.
Are you european or canadian?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Are you european or canadian?
lol middle eastern mostly. why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area