Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:34 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy van winkle View Post
I agree that New Albany and other towns on the Indiana side are suburbs of Louisville. I never denied that. I guess my beef comes from the fact that to be "from" Louisville your are by default from Kentucky, and sorry but I will never let anyone from Indiana claim to be from Kentucky no matter how indirectly. (JK...kinda)
Yeah, I think it is more a cultural and colloquial thing. Still, the entire Louisville MSA needs to band together more than it has in the past. I'd like to see the new Louisville mayor form more meetings and a consortium with leaders from neighboring counties (including Indiana counties) to plan for smart growth and job attraction, the two areas where Louisville really lags behind. Howvere, the rich culture, history, and amount of restaurants and nightlife for a city its size is really impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 11:33 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy van winkle View Post
I agree that New Albany and other towns on the Indiana side are suburbs of Louisville. I never denied that. I guess my beef comes from the fact that to be "from" Louisville your are by default from Kentucky, and sorry but I will never let anyone from Indiana claim to be from Kentucky no matter how indirectly. (JK...kinda)
aaaaaaaaaaaaaamen! LOL sorry to all the hoosiers but there are two things I go to Indiana for... Bass pro and to visit my sister. That's it. everything else I want I get over here. Why would I want to gove my money to another state when I can give back to my own?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:56 PM

3 posts, read 23,533 times
Only thing I go there for is Bass Pro and Fireworks lol.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
aaaaaaaaaaaaaamen! LOL sorry to all the hoosiers but there are two things I go to Indiana for... Bass pro and to visit my sister. That's it. everything else I want I get over here. Why would I want to gove my money to another state when I can give back to my own?
Like many Louisville natives, you don't quite get the big picture. If you shop at a locally owned S. Indiana restaurant or store, you are helping the LOUISVILLE economy more than shopping at the PRP Walmart. More of that money spent in S. Indiana at a store owned by a guy living in Jeff stays in the community than a chain on the KY side. Also, there is more over in Indiana than you think. Some very cute historic neighborhoods too.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:51 PM

67 posts, read 213,860 times
Many Companies In S.Indiana have a good portion of business in Kentucky, so I guess Louisville, doesn't have it all, or Louisville companies would not need Southern Indiana companies

Old 04-01-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Like many Louisville natives, you don't quite get the big picture. If you shop at a locally owned S. Indiana restaurant or store, you are helping the LOUISVILLE economy more than shopping at the PRP Walmart. More of that money spent in S. Indiana at a store owned by a guy living in Jeff stays in the community than a chain on the KY side. Also, there is more over in Indiana than you think. Some very cute historic neighborhoods too.
STX I am fine with shopping over here plus our sales tax is lower. It's 6% here and 7% there.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:20 PM

4,842 posts, read 3,272,992 times
I grew up in Jeffersonville... but if anybody asks where I'm from I say Louisville. Like it or not, a large part of southern Indiana is a Lousiville suburb. Probably even more so today now that there's 'stuff' on the Indiana side. But 30 years ago there was a mall and Theatair X in Clarksville... and that was just about it.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:15 PM

Most people I know from Indiana will say what town in Indiana they are from not that they are from Louisville

Old 04-05-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Most people I know from Indiana will say what town in Indiana they are from not that they are from Louisville
I disagree. I have met several people from S. Indiana in FL already who said they are from Louisville. When they find out I lived there, then they clarify as to Clarksville or Jeff, etc. Speaking of which, I think Louisville still sees quite a bit of out migration to Florida, but then so do many cities in the north.

However, if you were in Louisville, those same people would likely sa they are from Jeff or Clarksville. But, outside the area, they identify with the "big city"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area