U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 11:16 AM

263 posts, read 694,186 times

Advertisements

Hey, can anyone tell me what Beaver Dam, KY is like? I don't mean any disrepect, but is it known as a little backwards/hillbilly? Is hunting and owning firearms a popular or normal thing in that area? I know a couple of people from there and that's why I'm asking.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 04:49 PM

171 posts, read 353,992 times
In full disclosure, I have never been to Beaver Dam; I've probably been within about 40 miles of it at the nearest. Having disclosed this pertinent info, I will tell you I grew up in KY and have been through many of it's small towns. I can tell you with certainty that there are guns in many, many households there, that a respectable percentage of the population hunt, and that cars are likely out numbered by pickups. It's part of the culture in rural KY and it encroaches and even infiltrates our largest city, Louisville. Backwards or "hillbilly"? From your perspective perhaps; especially if you haven't lived outside of L.A. The infrastructure is lacking somewhat but it's probably better than a lot of the rural areas out west. Every body wears shoes here except the hippies in the city.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:38 PM

46 posts, read 104,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideGirl310 View Post
Hey, can anyone tell me what Beaver Dam, KY is like? I don't mean any disrepect, but is it known as a little backwards/hillbilly? Is hunting and owning firearms a popular or normal thing in that area? I know a couple of people from there and that's why I'm asking.
I live about 30 minutes north of Beaver Dam. I you like small town living I think you will like it. There aren't very many shopping or entertainment options beyond wal-mart and a few fast food restaurants, but if you enjoy the outdoors and don't mind driving a little bit to shop at brand name stores then you will like it. Hunting, fishing, and owning firearms are popular in the area. Crime is pretty much non existant. If you enjoy being outdoors then Peabody WMA is a great place to spend the day. You can hunt, fish, ride ATVS, and go horseback riding at Peabody. I don't think it's any more backwards than any other small town but it may seem a little hillbilly to you depending on the places you have lived. Owensboro is pretty close and offers a little more in the way of entertainment, shopping, and restaurants. If you need a big city fix, Nashville is under 2 hours away.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:45 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,559,005 times
Until about 25 years ago, I spent a lot of time in the Beaver Dam area. Beaver Dam, as are most of Ohio, McLean, Mulhenburg, & Grayson Co's are the heart of rural Kentucky living. Yes, there is a lot of genuine red-neck, testosterone powered trucks, four wheeling, hunting fun amongst the men down there. I love'm. They are very real people. Not like others, but that is them and more power to them. If you go there and accept they are who they are, you'll love them and they'll love you!

Old 03-31-2010, 11:12 AM

263 posts, read 694,186 times
Thanks for the replies, guys! It's pretty much what I thought. The person I know from there is a 50 yr old female who hunts, into sporting clays (which I think most people into sporting clays also hunt, right?), drives a black 4x4 pickup truck (it's nice as far as pickups go I guess), and parties with twenty-thirty somethings. She's living out here in LA now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area