Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 06:44 PM

108 posts, read 765,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Also, do you know if there are any Community Colleges near these areas? And in which part of town is the U. of Louisville?
There are a lot of Colleges in Louisville, although most are very small and are oriented towards adult education (Webster U. for example). So, I'll give a brief description of 4 I'd look at:

Jefferson Community and Technical College

If you want a community college, it'll be Jefferson Community College (JCC). It is a two-year college and is the largest college in the Kentucky Community and Technical College System. The main campus is in the downtown district. In the fall 2005 semester, Jefferson's total headcount was 14,240 students (5 campuses). The student body is 54% female, 46% male.[1] In fall 2005, minority enrollment included African-American (14%) and Asian (1%). As of the fall 2005 semester, resident tuition is $98.00 per credit hour. Students residing in counties in other states near Kentucky and those students enrolled in the Kentucky Community and Technical College System online courses pay tuition of $118.00 per credit hour. All other out-of-state students pay $294.00 per credit hour. I have taken classes here and it is not bad for a community college (I liked my prof., building was clean, etc). There are a lot of adults/returning education students along with young ones so it can be a mixed bag. There are no dorms (commuter school), but a plus side is that you can spend two years here and then transfer to U of L with an A.A. degree to finish up a BA or BS. A lot of kids that can't afford U of L or that need to adjust to college level work will start out here and then transfer.

Downtown (main campus), 109 E. Broadway, Louisville
Jefferson Technical, 727 W. Chestnut St., Louisville
Southwest, 1000 Community College Drive, Valley Station
Carrollton, 324 Main Street, Carrollton
Shelby County, 1361 Frankfort Road, Shelbyville

Spalding

If you want a part-time college experience (i.e. your teen has to work while in school), they may consider Spalding. Spalding University is a private, non-profit career university with 964 total undergraduate students enrolled on campus, as well as 738 graduate. It is a very small campus and historically, has offered extensive study programs for the part-time student. Teachers, librarians, business and professional persons, and others unable to attend college full-time have earned degrees by attending the University's evening and Saturday classes. In order to serve this same group of students more effectively, Spalding University opened its Weekend College in 1980 and its Accelerated Evening Program in 1998.

Last edited by rppipa01; 08-01-2006 at 07:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2006, 06:45 PM

University of Louisville

The University of Louisville (also known as U of L...this iswhere I currently attend) is a public, state-supported university. It is mandated [1] by the Kentucky General Assembly to be a "Preeminent Metropolitan Research University." U of L currently enrolls students from 119 of 120 Kentucky counties[2], all 50 U.S. states, and 115 countries around the world. U of L has been involved in several notable medical firsts. In 2006, U of L researchers Dr Albert Bennet Jenson and Dr Shin-je Ghim developed the first ever human papilloma virus vaccine, called Gardasil. In 2001 U of L implanted the first self contained artificial heart in the world, and in 1999 performed the first successful hand transplant.

Since 1999, U of L has made the largest gains of any university in National Institute of Health research ranking, with its NIH funding increasing 277% and its rank increasing 30 places. As of 2006 among public U.S. universities, the melanoma clinic ranks third, the neurology research program fourth, and the spinal cord research program tenth in NIH funding.

The school's main campus (Belknap) is located in the historic Old Louisville neighborhood. U of L's endowment, which has increased 355% since 1995, ranks ninth per student among all U.S. public universities and is the largest of any Kentucky public university. Ramsey has continued the endowment and fundraising growth started by Shumaker, but added more emphasis on improving the aesthetics of the Belknap Campus. To this end, he started a million dollar "campus beautification project" which painted six overpasses on the Belknap Campus with a 'U of L theme' and planted over 500 trees along campus streets, doubled the number of on-campus housing units, brokered a deal with the state to get the outdated I-65 ramps redone, and oversaw the ongoing conversion of several abandoned factories into condominiums. The school's federal research funding has also doubled under Ramsey, and three buildings have been built for nanotechnology and medical research.

Good points:

Beatuiful campus once you get inside it (it isn't beautiful on the outside)
Rising academic profile (still ranks lower than UK but that is changing)
More on-campus housing avaiable now
Center of the city so you are closer to everything
Improving athletics (football is great)
Laid-back attitude
Friendly atmosphere

Bad Points:

State severely underfunds forcing the school to rely on private funds a lot.

Some buildings are in disrepair (they are old and state will not allocate money).

Still a commuter school (about 25% of students live on campus, though Old Louisville does have a lot of apartments nearby).

Crime in Old Louisville and near campus is low to moderate (I have never had a problem and I don't feel bad walking around at night).

Since a lot of students commute, campus is not very active on nights/weekends.

If you have any questions regarding U of L, feel free to ask...I'm a senior so I should know the ropes pretty well lol. Personally, I love going here and they have a lot of money for scholarships. But what is important is that your son/daughter picks a college they like.

www.louisville.edu

Old 08-01-2006, 06:46 PM

Bellarmine University

Bellarmine University is a Roman Catholic liberal arts university located in the Highlands neighborhood. It has 2,561 Undergraduates and 573 Postgraduates. In 2000 the Board of Trustees voted to change the name of the institution to Bellarmine University to reflect its status as a Masters I university. With a total enrollment hovering around 2,500 students, Bellarmine offers over 50 majors in a range of undergraduate programs as well as graduate degrees in business, education, information technology, nursing, physical therapy, and spirituality.

The university is perennially ranked by U.S. News & World Report as a top-tier Southern masters university. In 2006, Bellarmine President McGowan announced an ambitious expansion plan, dubbed "Vision 2020," which seeks to give Kentucky its first large private university and to firmly establish BU as the premier Catholic university in the South. Among other things, the plan calls for tripling enrollment, doubling the number of buildings on campus, and adding schools of architecture, law, pharmacy, and veterinary medicine by the year 2020. In addition, the possibility of moving all athletic programs to the NCAA Division I level will be considered.

http://www.bellarmine.edu/index.asp?bhcp=1

If you are wanting Harvard or MIT, KY doesn't have any schools like that. also, I don't buy into a lot of the "rankings" and princeton review stuff. Those are all fine and dandy and if that is important to you, that is great but I feel that you can get a good education pretty much where you go so long as you apply yourself. Also, I feel that U of L and BU are far better than a lot of its critics purport them to be.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:49 PM

One other comment about JCC and U of L:

In addition to their nationwide partial tuition reimbursement programs, UPS (United Parcel Service) offers U of L (along with Jefferson Community College) students who work overnight at World Port, the company's worldwide air hub at Louisville International Airport, full tuition reimbursement through a program called Metropolitan College. Currently over 75% of the workers at the air hub are students.

Quote:
One more question - where are the shopping malls
Indoor malls:

St. Matthews Mall - U.S. 60 in St. Matthews (East End)
Jefferson Mall - Outer Loop in Okolona (South Side)

Outdoor shopping Centers:

Springhurst Towne Center (Anchorage/Middletown is close)
Oxmoor Center (St. Matthews)
The Summitt (close to Middletown/Anchorage...upscale shopping)
Westport Plaza (close to Anchorage/Middletown)
4th Street Live! (nightclubs, a few shops, lots of food...heart of downtown).
All along I-65 in Clarcksville and Jeffersonville, IN...too many to list here.

Those are the ones in the area you listed as being interested in (except Jefferson Mall and 4th Street Live!). Lot of small plazas and shopping centers. That is one other bad side of Louisville, if you love the huge 2-5 story hundreds of shops type malls, you won't find them here or in Lexington.

Here are some sites you might find helpful regarding shopping malls/shopping areas in Louisville:

http://louisville.retailguide.com

http://www.oxmoorcenter.com/html/index4.asp (broken link)

http://www.greentreemall.com/

http://www.mallstmatthews.com/html/index4.asp (broken link)

http://www.shopjefferson-mall.com/shop/jefferson.nsf

Last edited by Marka; 08-02-2006 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 08-01-2006, 07:33 PM

36 posts, read 219,028 times
To rppipa01 - Once again, thank you very, very much!! You have been so helpful - can't tell you how much I appreciate all of the info!! This is better than any "city-guide" book!! My family and I thank you for all the time you have taken to tell us about Kentucky!! Take care - and if I think of any other questions I know you'll have the answers! THANKS!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:52 PM

7 posts, read 22,366 times
Try Ashland, Ky at the other end of the state. We're Ky.'s best kept secret. We have all the bigger cities do with much less crime. The cost of living is cheaper even on the high end. The second largest city in W.V. is across the river & Ohio is across the river at the other end.
Amtrak has a stop here, 2 state parks, several libraries & museums, an art district & enough history to amaze you for years in genealogy. We were VA until 1803 & many people have descendents who passed through here. Paramount Art Studios is still be used for Broadway Plays. Nightclubs & dining from fast food to 4 stars. The area is home to Billy Ray Cyrus, Brandon Webb, Chuck Woolery, The Judds & a whole slew of others who still come here to visit friends & family.
There are also farms, flea markets, farmer's markets,speciality stores, malls, theatres (both drive in & regular) in city or w/i less than an hr.'s drive.
It's a very friendly town. Our hospital is in the Top 100 rated by Solicient & Working Mother's Magazine. Our high school is one of the most modern in the nation architectural wise, though built in 1965. We have a community college & vocational school connected to U.K. in town & Marshall & Morehead University less than an hr's drive.
Check out index for more info. Everyone is surprised at how much is here. They always assumes everything worth seeing is in Lexington & west of it.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:52 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Default Just look at Oldhamcounty.com

Wow, what a disertation, but I would have to fail the writer as there was no mention of the I-71 corridor.

There is still tremendous value along I-71, especially if there are children to be educated.

go to Welcome to OldhamCounty.com! and check out the community pages

Old 07-06-2007, 07:36 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rppipa01 View Post
In Jefferson County, but incorporated cities (they are essentially a suburb/neighborhood of Louisville):

Middletown (in specifically, Lake Forest Area) - 20-25 minutes from the heart of downtown. Some VERY nice communities (lake Forest) with very large sized homes. Has some nicer end private schools and is located on the east end of Louisville. Only downside is you are kind of far away from the downtown action (although, compared with some cities, a 20 minute commute is not bad). Zip codes are 40243 and 40253

Anchorage - 20-25 minutes from downtown. Very nice area of Louisville with upper class housing (median income for a family was over 120K). Farther out but a nice area if you can afford it. Zip Codes is 40223.

Jeffersontown - Population is around 26K. When the government of Jefferson County merged with the city of Louisville, Kentucky in 2003, its citizens became part of Louisville Metro, however, for Census purposes, it is not counted towards the population of Louisville. I personally think this is kind of stupid because if you look at a map, it is basically a nub sticking off of Louisville. Anyway, has some nicer homes...about 20 minutes to downtown. Zip Codes are 40269 and 40299 respectively.

Saint Matthews - As of 2004, the population recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau is 17,374. Some nicer homes and close to two very good private schools. Also close to several parks and St. Matthews/Oxmoore mall (Sadly, Louisville lacks any large scale malls).

Mockingbird Valley - VERY EXPENSIVE. Average family income is over 200K a year. Located directly to the east of Louisville along the Ohio River, Mockingbird Valley is frequently referred to as a "country enclave" and is noted for its rural feel. It is located on river bluffs and rolling hills, with large homes set back from the road, heavy tree density, bridges and walls using traditional local materials, as well as undisturbed rock outcroppings. One third of the roads are privately owned, and the entire city is zoned residential except for a small parking lot, which is zoned commercial. The population was 190 at the 2000 census. It has the highest per capita income of any location in Kentucky, and the tenth highest of any location in America.

Glenview/Riverwood/Indian Hills - Northeast of downtown. Similiar to mockingbird valley with a little less in cost.

True Neighborhoods of Louisville:

Highlands - one of my favorite sections of the city. Very close to downtown at 10-15 minutes. Lot of older style homes but they are amazing (Eastern Parkways is an incredible drive). Also has Bardstown Road (lot of unique/weird shops/bars/Wick's pizza). Several large parks (Cherokee and Seneca) are very close. I would highly recommend this area. Don't know the zip code.

Highview - Nice section of the city. Mainly middle class style housing. Zip Code is 40228. Probably 20 minutes to downtown.

Fern Creek - I consider it to be a nice section of Louisville (some may disagree). After the merger, it became a neighborhood of Louisville. May want to look more at this area since it is in the city. About 10-15 minutes to downtown. Homes I have seen here are on tree-lined subdivision and suggest comfort rather than wealth. Zip Code is 40291.

Downtwon - Might want to look into downtown living as several new lofts/Condos are opening in the downtown area).
What about Shively? Pleasure Ridge Park? Valley Station? Those are nice places with new homes coming up quite a bit and the housing is cheaper than a house in the east end or the Highlands.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:09 AM

12 posts, read 70,733 times
YEA. IT SEEMS PEOPLE ALWAYS STEREOTYPE THE AREA OF DIXIE HIGHWAY, ST ANDREWS CHURCH ROAD, OLD THIRD, NEWCUT. IMO.. IT IS ONE OF THE MOST DIVERSE SECTIONS OF THE CITY ESC. BEECHMONT, & LIKE I POSETED BEFORE. MANY, MANY NEW NEIGHBORHOODS, 10-15 MIN.. FROM DOWNTOWN, AND ALL THE NEW NEIGHBORHOODS START OUT WITH HOMES ANYWHERE FROM $175,000 to NEARLY A MILLION DOLLARS IN THE HILLS OF THE EASTERN SECTION OF US 31-W (DIXIE HIGHWAY)... PEOPLE IN LOUISVILLE NEED TO CHECK THIS OUT AND THINK BEFORE STEREOTYPING AN AREA. NOT TO BE RUDE BY ANY MEANS.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:50 PM

24 posts, read 430,422 times
We've been looking to move OUT of Kentucky and were born here. It's funny how when you look at the way Kentucky is advertised as a great place but it's NEVER as good as an advertisement. Typical American marketing I guess. Lexington isn't a good place unless you're well off enough to live in a good spot. There are a lot of minorities and crimes in Lexington because the town thrives on poor people. Stay away from the North. Its full of crime and strip bars. Theres really nothing but a big circle to drive around the city to shop and buy. But nothing "rural" exists. Also, don't go to JCC in Louisville. They have very bad instructors. I know this personally and many were fired because of "questionable" practices. Some can argue according to their experience, but this has been mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area