Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 AM

5 posts, read 15,093 times

Advertisements

I've just accepted a job in the Louisville area and need some advice on living. I am use to living in a downtown urban setting and like being able to walk to downtown restaurants, bars, shopping, coffee shops, having a gym either close by or on site, etc.. My price range is $600 to $900 and think I want to see some loft style apartments-not a requirement but I do like them. I was told that many gays either live in Old Louisville(near 3 rd and Magnolia) or the Highlands. I didn't get a chance to drive up to the Highlands, so not sure what that area is like. Wherever the suggestions come from, I just need to feel like there is a sense of community, and can walk to things to do. Not really into high-rise living where it seems like a large hotel. Also the waterfront area is a plus too.
Thanks ahead to anyone who can help!
Adidasguy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:53 AM

7,054 posts, read 16,631,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasguy View Post
I've just accepted a job in the Louisville area and need some advice on living. I am use to living in a downtown urban setting and like being able to walk to downtown restaurants, bars, shopping, coffee shops, having a gym either close by or on site, etc.. My price range is $600 to $900 and think I want to see some loft style apartments-not a requirement but I do like them. I was told that many gays either live in Old Louisville(near 3 rd and Magnolia) or the Highlands. I didn't get a chance to drive up to the Highlands, so not sure what that area is like. Wherever the suggestions come from, I just need to feel like there is a sense of community, and can walk to things to do. Not really into high-rise living where it seems like a large hotel. Also the waterfront area is a plus too.
Adidasguy
If you are coming from DC, you must understand Louisville is a much smaller city. That said, it is certainly not lacking. I think you are looking in the right areas. I would also add Butchertown, Clifton, Crescent Hill into the mix. But I agree with starting in the downtown/Old Louisville over to Highlands and Germantown corridor.

The most walkable area is actually the Highlands near Bardstown Road, especially the Cherokee Triangle or Bonnycastle sections which have large concentrations of gays. This area truly does have big city urban vitality, and you may walk from the movies, to organic grocery to blockbuster to gym to regular grocery to park to any kind of restaurant or bar imaginable. Also great urban parks that are easy places to meet people.

Old LOuisville also has a lot of gays, along with students and even some section 8. It is an absoultey gorgeous area but the commercial vitality is not quite there yet. Still, there are some corner restaurants and bars that are gems, including a couple decent gay bars.

Frankfort Avenue, centered along the neighborhoods of Clifton and Crescent Hill, is the second most walkable area of the city. It tends to be more educated young families, yuppies, and also young couples along with older hippies and liberals. There is a small amount of gays.

Downtown Louisville is truly up and coming. As we speak, a new arena is about to open, a new bar district is being created on Main street, and the history is great. The fourth street corridor and the east main/market areas are fairly walkable, if a bit spread out. Like many downtowns, 4th street feels like a big city during the day but at night it still has some work today, but it is still above the median with regards to second tier cities.

With all that summed up, I would look at places on craigslist and explore all those areas. Then, make your decision carefully. If you would like, I can pick some places off craigslist that I think may suit you. Currently, there are around a dozen gay bars and several gay coffee shops and other gay friendly businesses, almost all of which are located in an area bounded by 9th street to the west, UofL Campus to the South, the river to the north, and St Matthews to the east. The best gay bar in the region, the Connection, is a popular draw for out of town gays from Indianapolis and Cincinnati on the weekends.

Just one example in Old Louisville:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Downtown literally next to the connection.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/1618582069.html (broken link)

This area will become more vibrant once the arena opens.

An example of one of the nicer and better located ones you can find for 600 in the Highlands, near the gay coffee shop, Day's. Beware some of the properties in older homes in the Highlands and other areas are not very updated--they do not have to be for people to rent them. So if it seems too cheap, there may be a reason...

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/1604254981.html (broken link)

Last edited by Peter1948; 03-03-2010 at 12:13 PM..

Old 03-03-2010, 07:04 PM

26,678 posts, read 41,512,884 times
Quote:
Adidasguy
Fellow current DC area resident chiming in.

Between the Highlands and Old Louisville, age may be a deciding factor. Don't want to jump the gun on the locals here. Old Louisville, to me, better serves the under 26 crowd. The Highlands, to me, better serves the over 26 crowd. If you don't like high-rise living (You aren't alone I hate it too) I'd forget about Downtown Louisville. The high-rises seem like they are the only thing available there.

Stx12499 is also spot on with Clifton and Crescent Hill. That may be the best area for those from DC who want upper NW DC type neighborhoods as well as the Highlands.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:00 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,431,131 times
If you are religous there are two welcoming Lutheran congregations, 3rd Lutheran on Frankfort Avenue up in Clifton, and 1st Lutheran, downtown next to the Medical Center on Broadway.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:19 PM

87 posts, read 265,973 times
i'm curious Jeffery, why you chose to inquire about religion (actually being very specific about sect), when that wasn't mentioned as a desire or requirement in any of the above posts.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:44 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,431,131 times
I didn't inquire about religion I provided information should the poster be interested. I just happen to know about those two congregations.

There is also an MCC congregation in the Highlands, on Highland Avenue, I think, and a GLBT -oriented congregation just opened up a church on Southern Parkway. I believe The Jefferson Street Mission at Liberty is also inclusive. It's a little storefront church in the Phoenix Hill area (Liberty Street).

Old 03-07-2010, 12:00 PM

Thank you STX and Alanboy for your prompt replies and general information. I will be back in town in two weeks and my strategy will be to look at a few of the loft properties downtown(got the sense from my research to avoid the Lofts of Broadway property) such as the Mercantile and Glassworks locations.
I also found a listing near the Arts area(West Main and 7 th Street) that looks very nice. What is the story on this section of town?
Is there a decent grocery store and gym if I were to live in the actual downtown area that I can access relatively easy?
Then I will drive out to the Bardstown Road and check out the Highlands. I have been using Craigslist as my primary research tool but if either of you have a rental/realtor agency to point me in the direction of, that might be helpful as well.
Again, this is a fantastic sight and I appreciate everyone's help!
Adidasguy

Old 03-07-2010, 06:42 PM

7,054 posts, read 16,631,263 times
Quote:
Thank you STX and Alanboy for your prompt replies and general information. I will be back in town in two weeks and my strategy will be to look at a few of the loft properties downtown(got the sense from my research to avoid the Lofts of Broadway property) such as the Mercantile and Glassworks locations.
I also found a listing near the Arts area(West Main and 7 th Street) that looks very nice. What is the story on this section of town?
Is there a decent grocery store and gym if I were to live in the actual downtown area that I can access relatively easy?
Then I will drive out to the Bardstown Road and check out the Highlands. I have been using Craigslist as my primary research tool but if either of you have a rental/realtor agency to point me in the direction of, that might be helpful as well.
Again, this is a fantastic sight and I appreciate everyone's help!
Adidasguy
Craigslist is the way to go. Downtown has a really nice, several story YMCA that is very cheap. There are 2 boutique grocery stores but you'd likely have to leave downtown to get major groceries. A 3 minute drive away is the Valumarket in the Highlands where there is also a nice boutique movie theatre.

here are the boutique grocers. There is also a very nice wine shop in theatre square:
The Bodega at Felice Home Page
Theater Square Marketplace

There is an old Kroger in Sobro, which is 3-4 minutes from downtown but it is known colloquially as "Kroghetto." It really isnt that bad but its an old store from the 1980s and the food is about as nice as the clientele.

There are also small organic grocers in the Highlands, and Fresh Market or Whole Foods will be a 15 minute drive into the inner ring burbs.

I like the places you are looking. A few more that I think that are actually better if you can find a spot in them are the Henry Clay and The ArtSpace Lofts. From here you could walk to several dozen nice restaurants, the YMCA gym, and that market at theatre square, plus CVS which is open until midnight for all the staples. Plus, you'd be closer to the main nighttime pedestrian corridor which is fourth street.

Keep in mind downtown is currently the number 3 or 4 neighborhood in the city in terms of residential urban vitality, but it is quickly upcoming. There are several mega projects planned which have been stalled, but many smaller infill projects get announced all the time. Several hundred new lofts are in development right now and when the new basketball arena takes off in the fall, things will take off more.

There are lots of good websites to follow, but here is one Broken Sidewalk . Broken Sidewalk

Old 03-07-2010, 06:51 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,645,257 times
So how much work will a guy that makes his living as a gay male find in Louisville?

Old 03-07-2010, 11:32 PM

Thanks again Styx...great links to additional lofts I was not aware of.

Last edited by adidasguy; 03-07-2010 at 11:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area