Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:55 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times

Advertisements

Hello people of Louisville -

I am visiting your city on April 17 for a baseball game. I am wondering, is it worth staying for Thunder over Louisville? If so, what are some good vantagepoints for the show?

Also, as the game will end around 5, and Thunder starts around 9:30 or ten, what fun stuff can we do downtown? I have not been to downtown Louisville in a couple of years, hoping to find something fun. Will there be a festival or anything associated with Thunder?

Also, as a mini-ticket plan holder for my hometown team, I have grown accustomed to parking for free when I go to games. I am willing to walk several blocks, any good tips on where one might find free parking for a Bats game?

Please note, I am not interested in 4th Street Live.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 04-07-2010 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 01:36 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,548 times
If you are going to Slugger Field on the day of Thunder you can stay there for the fireworks since the stadium is very close to the river. Many people buy tickets for the game just so they can go in the stadium to use the bathroom and have a place to sit and watch the fireworks. Downtown will be packed all day from the late morning through 10:30-11:00 pm at night. There will be upwards of 700,000 people downtown if the weather is nice. There will be food vendors, rides, and a lot of other activities. It will be a little hectic though, especially for someone going for their first time. You will not be able to get into any of the waterfront restaurants, or most of the restaurants downtown with a view of the river because they all sell tickets in advance to watch the show from there. There is an air show that starts around 3, and it is pretty good, lots of jets, parachuters, helicopters, etc. You will not be able to find any free parking unless you want to walk pretty far. I usually park somewhere off River Rd. east of downtown and walk a mile or two to Waterfront Park. Just be prepared to walk a lot. If you are going to be downtown on Thunder day, do not expect to get anywhere quickly, and prepare for lots of crowds.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:30 PM

171 posts, read 377,649 times
Emphatically "yes", it is worth staying for! If I were you I'd park my butt at Slugger Field and kick back and relax for the day. I've never seen it from there but I've been a little farther east and still had a great view.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:18 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Lightbulb Links

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Hello people of Louisville -

I am visiting your city on April 17 for a baseball game. I am wondering, is it worth staying for Thunder over Louisville? If so, what are some good vantagepoints for the show?

Also, as the game will end around 5, and Thunder starts around 9:30 or ten, what fun stuff can we do downtown? Will there be a festival or anything associated with Thunder?
First, I hope you noticed that the prices for the baseball game on April 17th were 4x higher than a regular game. This is because the higher ticket price includes seating during the air show and fireworks. Thunder Over Louisville | Louisville Bats Tickets

The best vantage point would be anywhere along the first base line (upper or lower decks).

As for a 'festival', yes, there will be a small gathering of people waiting for the fireworks show. Here is the link to some of the events: Thunder Over Louisville

Hope this helps.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
First, I hope you noticed that the prices for the baseball game on April 17th were 4x higher than a regular game. This is because the higher ticket price includes seating during the air show and fireworks. Thunder Over Louisville | Louisville Bats Tickets
I didn't notice, because someone gave me the tickets. I didn't even know there was anything else going on in Louisville until I was looking at the Bats schedule.

So, I guess I will stay for the show. From the looks of it, I can wander around and come back to the stadium for Thunder over Louisville. Pretty exciting.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkennedy View Post
Emphatically "yes", it is worth staying for! If I were you I'd park my butt at Slugger Field and kick back and relax for the day. I've never seen it from there but I've been a little farther east and still had a great view.
I am thinking that is what I am going to do.

Although, now that I know there is increased value to these tickets; I might just sell them and partake of the festival instead. I have been itching to go back to Louisville for a visit. It has been too long.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 PM

171 posts, read 377,649 times
Well, keep in mind that the 'modest' gathering of people means limited bathroom access, throngs of men, women, & children of all kinds, and sometimes roving packs of teenagers. Pick your drink carefully. I don't like to be thrown to the crowds so I prefer being in a controlled venue and the higher the ticket prices usually the better. If you like mingling with the masses you can certainly do it at Thunder.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:47 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,548 times
I think you would be better off just keeping the tickets. I got a hotel room downtown this year just so I have a clean bathroom and don't have to deal with the crowds all day. If you keep the tickets, you will be happy you did by the end of the day because you won't have to wait in long lines for food, drinks, and restrooms at Slugger. I like going out to Waterfront Park and walking around for awhile, but it is a looong day and you won't feel like walking around and standing up for all of it. Those were some nice friends who gave you the tickets for free!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
We are thinking of driving to Louisville just for this show. Is it worth it?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
We are thinking of driving to Louisville just for this show. Is it worth it?
If the weather cooperates it is a great show. This year it was in the 40s for the show and I was living 50 minutes away at the time and I just went home from work that day and watched the show from HDTV.

Louisville is a cool town to visit and I say this as a former DC area resident and current Louisville resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: