U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,267 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am planning on moving to Louisville and need some info on neighborhoods. Any advice/info would be much appreciated! I visited Louisville a year ago and absolutely fell in love with the Bardstown Rd area (Highlands, Cherokee Park, etc). Are there any neighborhood similar that offer larger lots? I love the Bardstown Rd area because of the older homes, trees, and parks. Absolutely gorgeous!!

I would like something at least 1 acre, possibly 2. My budget is around $200,000. I will be working downtown Louisville so the commute is important (20-25 minutes will be fine). In the next five years- schools will be important so I would like to be in an area that offers a quality education. We are planning on moving in the next year, but I am visiting next month to start researching neighborhoods and checking out the area.

Things that are important to me:

Safe area
Around 1 acre of land
Older neighborhood with charming houses and mature trees
Park close by if possible
Good schools
Within 20-30 minutes of downtown Louisville
Something very similar to the look of Bardstown Rd area

I have learned from reading the website that the Highlands is a very popular area. I am pretty sure that is where I was when I was near Bardstown Rd but not quite sure. I absolutely love the area- but need a little bit more land (even 3/4 acre would be fine if I could get into a very beautiful, scenic neighborhood).

Any suggestions? Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 09:13 PM

666 posts, read 2,378,264 times
You won't find another area like Bardstown Rd. anywhere in Louisville. Homes with an acre or more of land in a nice part of town are hard or even impossible to find for $200,000. $200k in a walkable area like St. Matthews or the Highlands will get you a modest 3 bed, 2 bath home with tiny lot around .15 acres. Someone may know of an area, but to live in town more, you will most likely have to drop the idea that you will be able to find a 1 acre lot, or have a longer commute and live in a less walkable area. The only place that may suite you is Graymoor-Devondale in the Lyndon area. From there you can walk to the open air lifestyle center called Westport Village. Lots there are pretty large, maybe .5 acres, and the neighborhood is mostly 20-30 year old ranches. It is a nice neighborhood though, many of the houses are remodeled and it is close to schools, churches, shopping, restaurants, and Seneca park. It is located on Herr Ln.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:30 PM

171 posts, read 352,604 times
A good quarter acre site in the highlands or near the park can cost near $200k without a house on it. One or two acres in town, not even near the park, will blow your budget by a wide margin. If your budget was $300k to $400k I would recommend Rock Creek Gardens or one of the other small subdivision in that area. You might be able to pick up a fixer in Strathmoor or Wellington with about .25 to .30 acre in that price range. If you don't mind traffic sometimes houses along Taylorsville Rd. will come on the market in that price range but still, a half acre or larger is hard to come by.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:57 PM

You can pick up an acre or two in the south & southwest part of Jefferson County for a reasonable price, or find a house already on acreage in those areas. Otherwise you'll have to go to one of the adjoining counties. Oldham is probably too expensive but it's possible that you can find what you are looking for in Bullitt, Spencer, or another county.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:02 PM

6,989 posts, read 15,121,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin364 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am planning on moving to Louisville and need some info on neighborhoods. Any advice/info would be much appreciated! I visited Louisville a year ago and absolutely fell in love with the Bardstown Rd area (Highlands, Cherokee Park, etc). Are there any neighborhood similar that offer larger lots? I love the Bardstown Rd area because of the older homes, trees, and parks. Absolutely gorgeous!!

I would like something at least 1 acre, possibly 2. My budget is around $200,000. I will be working downtown Louisville so the commute is important (20-25 minutes will be fine). In the next five years- schools will be important so I would like to be in an area that offers a quality education. We are planning on moving in the next year, but I am visiting next month to start researching neighborhoods and checking out the area.

Things that are important to me:

Safe area
Around 1 acre of land
Older neighborhood with charming houses and mature trees
Park close by if possible
Good schools
Within 20-30 minutes of downtown Louisville
Something very similar to the look of Bardstown Rd area

I have learned from reading the website that the Highlands is a very popular area. I am pretty sure that is where I was when I was near Bardstown Rd but not quite sure. I absolutely love the area- but need a little bit more land (even 3/4 acre would be fine if I could get into a very beautiful, scenic neighborhood).

Any suggestions? Thanks!!
Seriously....where are you moving from that you thought you could pick up an acre of land in a major city for that cheap? I agree with bb. What you are looking for in the Highlands would start at 500k and there is only a few properties on Cherokee Park with over an acre, and they are all well in excess of 750k to 1 million.

I'd reccomend something near Shelbyville for you, where you can POSSIBLY get an old really ragged fixer uper on an acre of land close to a historic area. Otherwise, should you want to live in the city, you need to adjust your land requirements, price, or both!

Old 04-15-2010, 05:28 PM

I just posted to my blog about land prices in the metro area but here's a quick summary-
1 to 2 Acre Lot by County-
Bullitt $30k to $65k
Jefferson $32k to $350k
Oldham $43k to $190k
Shelby $20k to $180k
Spencer $18k to 50k

The price for Jefferson Co. is a little misleading. There's no way a lot in the east end would ever sell for less than about $60,000 unless somethings wrong with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area