Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:12 AM

4 posts, read 6,883 times

Advertisements

I am a college graduate planning on moving to Louisville to begin work. I will be working on Story Ave. close to the Swift plant. I am trying to find a place where I will be able to walk to work somewhat easily. I was also wondering how safe this area was also.

I'm moving from Lexington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 04:41 PM

171 posts, read 377,717 times
It's pretty safe but you'll encounter some riffraff since you won't be too far from some run down muck. The area is making a nice come back but still has some way to go. Stick to "Butchertown" for your residence if you want to walk. It's reasonably affordable, ancient as far as housing stock in the city, but there is something hip about the area too. It's very near the Original Highlands and all the cool revitalization on E. Market. Welcome to the 'ville.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,311 times
Great area to work in. I agree with the post above, stick to Butchertown. If you'd like a daily update on anything for sale in that area, without any obligation, other than letting me know if you'd like to look at any of them, just let me know!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:03 AM

I'll atually just be looking to rent for 3 months over the summer but any help in finding a place would be appreciated. I guess Butcherton is my best option, my parents were just concerned about how safe the
[SIZE=3]neighborhood [/SIZE]is.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:01 AM

I think you will be o.k. in Butchertown but if you had wheels, even a bicycle, Clifton is just a mile and a half or so away and I think you'd like it better. Look on a map where Story Ave. connects with Frankfort Ave. Clifton is on Frankfort ave. just below (south) of Mellwood. Less riffraff, has a very safe reputation, and plenty of rentals to choose from.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:03 AM

Is there a website or some rental agency with rentals in Clifton? I'm trying to do everything I can in Lexington and just line up places to look at over the weekend.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:20 PM

Yes. This website is national but it is based right here in Louisville so they have terrific market penetration here.... lots of landlords use it. Here's the link- RentalHouses.com - Houses for Rent, Homes for Rent, Apartments, Condos, Townhomes for Rent, Rental Homes & Property Rentals
Clifton's zip code is 40206. The zip is larger than the neighborhood. You can click on the rental ads for a location map. Cheers,

Old 04-26-2010, 03:00 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destal2 View Post
Is there a website or some rental agency with rentals in Clifton? I'm trying to do everything I can in Lexington and just line up places to look at over the weekend.
craigslist is best. I disagree about riffraff in Butchertown. It is very safe. I wouldnt worry at all unless walking late at night, but that is in any city.

Let me help

budget

Butchertown Louisville Ky Condo (http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/1675828316.html - broken link)

On the higher end:

Amazing amenities in a small package for under $900/ month. Must See! (http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/1701009116.html - broken link)

I also agree about looking in clifton.

Also, don't forget about downtown proper. There are some very affordable highrises within a 5 minute or mile bikeride of swift. This area near fourth street is walkable and has bars and restaurants and even a small grocery now.

Penthouse view without the penthouse price! See for yourself! (http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/1703232955.html - broken link)

Very cheap highrise (all utilties included except cable), and has an attached garage for 45 per month for downtown residents. Also has a pool deck on 7th floor, and a small fitness center. It is not super luxurious but it is clean and nice (coming from a former resident )

Old 04-26-2010, 04:36 PM

Got to disagree. Although homeless shelters do not equal crime they are a problem and there are several shelters very near Butchertown on Market & Jefferson and a quite a few slummy houses too.

Clifton isn't perfect but it's better. A quick review of the city mapper for crime bears out my assertions.

As you are looking at addresses you can type them into this map to see what crime reports have been filed in the immediate area- Crime Reports - Louisville, Kentucky - Metro Mapper

Old 04-27-2010, 09:07 PM

I have looked around and there are only a couple places that are willing to do a 3 mo lease. I was wondering if anyone had heard much about Phoenix Place (how nice is it, how safe is that area, etc.). Thanks for all of your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area