U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 09:08 PM

206 posts, read 318,221 times

Advertisements

For you Louisville East End experts, what are the best (best meaning prettiest, safest, resale value, upkeep) subdivisions for larger ranches >1800 sq ft(not including basement size), with trees, winding streets. Older homes OK, btw 200 and 300K. I saw several subdivisions like this while I was there house hunting last week, but I have a feeling I missed a lot too. Your help along with google street view will help guide me as I continue my search on line. I am willing to return again (before my permanent transfer in June) in May if I see a few that are strong possiblilities. Some neighborhoods I liked include, Spring Valley, Bancroft, Lake Forest, Douglass Hills, Thornhill, Indian Hills and a few other places, but I didn't know where I was. LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 12:48 AM

666 posts, read 2,400,974 times
Lake Forest would be a little over your price range, unless you find a really outdated or foreclosed home. There aren't a lot of ranches in there either. Check out Barbourmeade, and pretty much any neighborhood on Brownsboro Rd. between Goose Creek Rd. and Zorn Ave. This is where a lot of mature neighborhoods with ranch style homes will be. I think Hunting Creek in Prospect has quite a few ranches also. All the other neighborhoods you mentioned are all very nice, I would maybe take Thornhill out of there but I'm not familiar with that subdivision, only that overall area. Plainview and Hurstbourne, and Copperfield would be good options as well. If you go on Google Maps and zoom into Louisville and type these neighborhood names in, it will bring you to exactly where I'm talking about. Polo Fields, Forest Springs, and GlenOaks would probably be suitable as well.

Last edited by mdawg; 04-24-2010 at 12:57 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 07:20 AM

4,825 posts, read 13,623,093 times
We live in the older section of Briar Hill which is exactly 5 miles from Gene Snyder/KY 22. One acre lots, trees, deer, turkeys, and a very convenient/quiet lifestyle. There are not many homes on the market here at all, but when they come up, the ranches go in moments. It's Oldham County, but that is very good in my opinion. (Still very much eastend)

As far as Jefferson County, I like Broeck Point and Manor Creek off Goose Creek Rd.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:28 AM

For some reason there are a ton of sales in the Barbourmeade/Barbour Manor area. Not sure why. It seems very disproportionate compared to other subdivisions in that area. Thats from my amateur, out-of-town opinion. So I'm kinda leery of buying there (Barbourmeade). Also I know of two homes in that area that had/have a water problem. I'm not sure if that's a coincidence or whether there is a problem in that area or if water problems are just common in the entire east end/Louisville. Any input on this?

Old 04-24-2010, 02:24 PM

Water problems as far as moisture issues in the basement? My old house (which was only 5 years old at the time) had moisture problems in the basement but that was taken care of with a dehumidifier. The house's sump pump could be the issue too, in older homes like in Barbourmeade, I'm sure some sump pumps are getting near the end of their lives and should be replaced. I would really look into Copperfield, its right off Shelbyville Rd. in Middletown. There are a lot of traditional style ranches in this neighborhood. Residential: 17003 CAMBERWELL CT LOUISVILLE, KY 40245 - Greater Louisville Association of Realtors (http://www.louisvillerealtors.com/mls/detail/ResProperty/1269821 - broken link)

Old 04-24-2010, 04:38 PM

I'm with you on Copperfield. A ranch just came up in the past day or so. Looked like exactly what I was looking for (from the outside anyway). Went on Google street view and wouldn't you know it, its right across the street from one of those electrical towers.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:43 PM

Oh man, thats too bad. I don't know how I feel about living next to those things. A good friend of mine has one in the back of his back yard, and it is a definite eyesore however I don't notice it after awhile, but I still don't think I'd buy a house next to one. I'm sure another one will come on the market soon.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 AM

By the way, yes I was referring to actual water problems in the basement. Forgot to answer that. Camberwell, yes that's the one with the electrical tower across the street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area