U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:46 PM

67 posts, read 204,304 times

Advertisements

I am looking at jobs and need some information about the Louisville area. I am applying for the Principal position at "Western Magnet Middle School" in Louisville. I've already done some investigating to know that the school itself isn't in the best neighborhood, but considering where I've taught, that doesn't scare me off in the slightest. I currently live in NJ, but have family in South Central KY.

1) What are your thoughts on Jefferson County school district in general and magnet schools in particular? Is this a good district to work for?

2) I wouldn't want to live too far away from the school if possible, but I also want to find a good place to raise a family. I have no problem with renting for now (currently pay $1200/2br, would expect that to stay the same after moving). Any suggestions?

3) Is it better or worse to commute from across the river? Any advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 07:13 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,558,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcctrumpeter View Post
I am looking at jobs and need some information about the Louisville area. I am applying for the Principal position at "Western Magnet Middle School" in Louisville. I've already done some investigating to know that the school itself isn't in the best neighborhood, but considering where I've taught, that doesn't scare me off in the slightest. I currently live in NJ, but have family in South Central KY.

1) What are your thoughts on Jefferson County school district in general and magnet schools in particular? Is this a good district to work for?

JCPS could be the best school system in the US if they didn't allow racism to control the system. I would want to find the real reason why Ms. Pat Todd suddenly resigned without warning. She was the director of school assignments. I find that your biggest issue will be discipline. Teachers I know that have worked in JCPS middle schools say they are lucky to have a 25% classroom teaching efficency. The balance is some sort of discipline or paper work. There are some very rewarding postitions in JCPS.

2) I wouldn't want to live too far away from the school if possible, but I also want to find a good place to raise a family. I have no problem with renting for now (currently pay $1200/2br, would expect that to stay the same after moving). Any suggestions?
There are pockets of safe, high quality living along the US 31W (Dixie Hwy) corridor. If I had my choice, I'd look to live across the river if being close to the school matters.

3) Is it better or worse to commute from across the river? Any advantages or disadvantages? The Sherman Minton Bridge (I-64) can be a bear to get across at times.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Jefferson County needs good people. If you are good people and don't have a problem dealing with bureaucratic issues, JCPS has its good points.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the response. I'd swear by your comments that you were talking about my current district, though. I love my students, and they are very talented, but they can be a handful sometimes. That being said, dealing with discipline doesn't scare me (I welcome the challenge), but hopefully I wouldn't be stuck dealing with bureaucracy instead of leading a school.

Can I ask you to extrapolate on the racial issues? I'm not familiar enough with Louisville to know what you are talking about.

I'd also love to know how hard it is to get a job as an administrator within JCPS with out-of-state credentials.

Lastly, which areas across the river would be suitable to live?

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2010, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the response. I'd swear by your comments that you were talking about my current district, though. I love my students, and they are very talented, but they can be a handful sometimes. That being said, dealing with discipline doesn't scare me (I welcome the challenge), but hopefully I wouldn't be stuck dealing with bureaucracy instead of leading a school.

Can I ask you to extrapolate on the racial issues? I'm not familiar enough with Louisville to know what you are talking about.

I'd also love to know how hard it is to get a job as an administrator within JCPS with out-of-state credentials.

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcctrumpeter View Post

Thanks!
In 1974, bussing for racial balance began in Jefferson County. Just look at how unbalanced the county has become. Poverty in Jefferson County truly has a race relationship. Black poverty is unbelievable as selfish black leaders have screamed for "fairness" rather than for self-discipline and pride of achievement. A child on a school bus for 1 to 2 hours a day is cheated of so many opportunities. Buses use expendiables, they are not investments. Nothing worthwhile really gets done in JCPS because of political correctness that overshadows children's educations.

I can't speak about the difficulty of getting a JCPS job as you asked.

I would look at Georgetown, Floyds Knobs, and Lanesville.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Thanks, tomocox.

I did a little more research today. I had already heard a little bit about the racial issues, so now I'm starting to tie everything together. I currently work in a district that is majority black, and one of the biggest problems is. The perception that you must be black to get ahead. I don't think that's the case, although you certainly have to be in the right network regardless of race in order to get promoted. I'd love to stay where I am at now - I believe I've done more than enough in and out of the classroom to warrant being promoted, but I don't know the right people, so it's time to look elsewhere.
I also noticed that the schoolm Western Middle, is on the list to be restructured, which must be why they want to reopen it as a magnet school. Anything I should know about the neighborhood (Portland)?

Old 05-02-2010, 05:45 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,944,642 times
Western High school is the worst school in Louisville education wise. Please do the area a favor.. if you come here and get the job clean house. That place needs to be completely turned around. I hope you are up for the challenge.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:54 AM

Thanks, missymomof3. I'd have to get the job first, but considering what needs to be done, I'd definitely be up for the challenge.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:54 PM

206 posts, read 315,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
In 1974, bussing for racial balance began in Jefferson County. Just look at how unbalanced the county has become. Poverty in Jefferson County truly has a race relationship. Black poverty is unbelievable as selfish black leaders have screamed for "fairness" rather than for self-discipline and pride of achievement. A child on a school bus for 1 to 2 hours a day is cheated of so many opportunities. Buses use expendiables, they are not investments. Nothing worthwhile really gets done in JCPS because of political correctness that overshadows children's educations.

I can't speak about the difficulty of getting a JCPS job as you asked.

I would look at Georgetown, Floyds Knobs, and Lanesville.
Not sure how the quote thing works, but anyway. Tomocox, you are stereotyping and lumping black leaders into one category and I am offended by that. Some black leaders are genuine about helping young people to achieve. Lots of them you probably haven't heard of because they don't show those good people on TV. Also I wish people would quit talking like qualities such as 'pride of achievement', 'self discipline', 'acting responsibly' etc are something you can just go to the store and buy. Or it can magically happen if you stop doing whatever. Black folks problems are ingrained so deep, it is hard for them to change. In my black opinion, many black folks are severely depressed and mentally challenged. I have them in my own family. And my family (including cousins etc) was 'raised right'. Now you take some of these kids with the awful ghetto acting parents and they don't have a chance. Many don't have any self-esteem or self confidence. They are living with no tools for success. And mind you, I'm not blaming you. I'm just asking that you think a little deeper.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katolb90 View Post
Not sure how the quote thing works, but anyway. Tomocox, you are stereotyping and lumping black leaders into one category and I am offended by that. Some black leaders are genuine about helping young people to achieve. Lots of them you probably haven't heard of because they don't show those good people on TV. Also I wish people would quit talking like qualities such as 'pride of achievement', 'self discipline', 'acting responsibly' etc are something you can just go to the store and buy. Or it can magically happen if you stop doing whatever. Black folks problems are ingrained so deep, it is hard for them to change. In my black opinion, many black folks are severely depressed and mentally challenged. I have them in my own family. And my family (including cousins etc) was 'raised right'. Now you take some of these kids with the awful ghetto acting parents and they don't have a chance. Many don't have any self-esteem or self confidence. They are living with no tools for success. And mind you, I'm not blaming you. I'm just asking that you think a little deeper.
I won't apologize. Yes, some black leaders do try hard to help, but so do many many white people. I am right on when speaking in political terms. You must admit that the people you speak of are the exception and not the rule. I honor and respect those people with all due appreciation and endorsement.

You can scream "offended" all day long, but until the facts change, the real losers are all Americans, not just people who are non-white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area