Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 12:22 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,497 times

Advertisements

Sorry if there is another thread covering this topic. I went back a couple pages and didn't find anything, but then again I have smoke coming out of my ears so easily might have missed the thread.

What options besides AT&T do we have for phone and DSL/high speed internet? I am THROUGH with AT&T. We moved to KY on Halloween. We have DirecTV not cable. AT&T is what we were told was the ONLY option if we didn't have cable. [Of course then the builder's have told us alot more BS since.] We are supposed to have unlimited long distance for $9 a month. Since the first bill we have had to call and get our bill straightened out because we were charged long distance by the minute. Sure, after the 20 minute wait to talk to somebody on the phone they credit the account and even credit the $9 a month so we have had "totally free" long distance. Our bill came today and it was double. Late fees because we didn't pay last month's bill completely. Person I talked to couldn't help me because supposedly computers are down. Then he let it slip it's because of our plan we are on, the supervisor's have to deal with it. I asked how I was supposed to know what to pay. "Oh just pay the full bill and we'll take care of it later." Uh no, first of all I don't have the $327.43 in the budget since our bill is only usually $70. 2nd of all, your company was supposed to have "taken care of it" last month. So he asked for my cell phone number so his supervisor could call me. SORRY call me on the home phone. My cell is NOT through AT&T and therefor I do NOT wantn AT&T having it so they can call and harass me on it. Then he had the nerve - ok I know it's his job but still! lol - to ask if I would like to change my cell phone to AT&T and get a discount on my total bill. I just laughed and said please just have your supervisor call me.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just through with AT&T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 12:27 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,732,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
Sorry if there is another thread covering this topic. I went back a couple pages and didn't find anything, but then again I have smoke coming out of my ears so easily might have missed the thread.

What options besides AT&T do we have for phone and DSL/high speed internet? I am THROUGH with AT&T. We moved to KY on Halloween. We have DirecTV not cable. AT&T is what we were told was the ONLY option if we didn't have cable. [Of course then the builder's have told us alot more BS since.] We are supposed to have unlimited long distance for $9 a month. Since the first bill we have had to call and get our bill straightened out because we were charged long distance by the minute. Sure, after the 20 minute wait to talk to somebody on the phone they credit the account and even credit the $9 a month so we have had "totally free" long distance. Our bill came today and it was double. Late fees because we didn't pay last month's bill completely. Person I talked to couldn't help me because supposedly computers are down. Then he let it slip it's because of our plan we are on, the supervisor's have to deal with it. I asked how I was supposed to know what to pay. "Oh just pay the full bill and we'll take care of it later." Uh no, first of all I don't have the $327.43 in the budget since our bill is only usually $70. 2nd of all, your company was supposed to have "taken care of it" last month. So he asked for my cell phone number so his supervisor could call me. SORRY call me on the home phone. My cell is NOT through AT&T and therefor I do NOT wantn AT&T having it so they can call and harass me on it. Then he had the nerve - ok I know it's his job but still! lol - to ask if I would like to change my cell phone to AT&T and get a discount on my total bill. I just laughed and said please just have your supervisor call me.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just through with AT&T.
Try doing a bundle with insight. They usually have deals for 99/month for cable, phone, and internet.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:32 PM

Thanks Stx, but hubby won't go to cable TV. We had too many problems with our cable when we lived in Clarksville last time before we moved out to Henry County. Loved the cable internet tho.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:42 PM

I did just check out insight and found a bundle for phone and internet only. Seems to comparable to what we should get from AT&T price wise. I'm sure the internet is better.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:50 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,307,229 times
I hate AT&T. I hate Insight. I find neither are capable of decent human/customer relations. Yet, only AT&T & Insight have hard wired systems. Every other carrier overlays on the AT&T/Insight infrastructures.

So, here's where we are. I have Windstream T-1 in one office, AT&T DSL/phone in another, AT&T telephone and DSL at home and both Insight cable/broadband at home. My wife distrusts Insight so badly, we have dual internet service at home as my business requires e-mail service that AT&T won't work with. Our home is in a wooded area, so satellite tv is not good.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the info Tom. So, having both AT&T & Insight, is one better than the other as far as landline and internet? Our only problem with AT&T stems from billing. It's a pain in the patootie to have to call every month to get the charges changed, but I did it. But now that they aren't honoring the changes, I'm not sure what to do.

Phone services. Only the 2nd thing I miss about Iowa.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:04 AM

171 posts, read 377,624 times
Broadband is faster than DLS and now insight offers a "2.0" version that is even faster. I won't open an office nor would I buy a house that didn't have a broadband connection because I rely on the internet so much.

You can test your connection here- Mbakercorp Speed Test (http://bakerbb.com/speedtest/index.html - broken link).

It measures both download and upload speeds. I'm out in Mt. Washington, KY and I set up a wireless router for home.

Sitting here at my laptop and my download speed is 10.59 mbps (mega bytes per second) while my upload speed is 0.94 mbps. For me and most people download speed is way more important. It's for streaming videos, music, and downloading files and email. Upload is what you send out, i.e. outgoing email.

I only subscribe to Insight's internet service. My phone is internet based (Vonage) and I get my movies via the internet (& my Wii) via Netflix. I'm heavily dependent on the internet and so far I am happy with Insight.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:25 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,307,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
Thanks for the info Tom. So, having both AT&T & Insight, is one better than the other as far as landline and internet? Our only problem with AT&T stems from billing. It's a pain in the patootie to have to call every month to get the charges changed, but I did it. But now that they aren't honoring the changes, I'm not sure what to do.

Phone services. Only the 2nd thing I miss about Iowa.
I have had a lot of terrible experiences with both AT&T & Insight. Both should be run out of town, but if I had to have only one choice, I would go with AT&T for consistant "uptime".

Old 05-12-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkennedy View Post
Broadband is faster than DLS and now insight offers a "2.0" version that is even faster. I won't open an office nor would I buy a house that didn't have a broadband connection because I rely on the internet so much.

You can test your connection here- Mbakercorp Speed Test (http://bakerbb.com/speedtest/index.html - broken link).

It measures both download and upload speeds. I'm out in Mt. Washington, KY and I set up a wireless router for home.

Sitting here at my laptop and my download speed is 10.59 mbps (mega bytes per second) while my upload speed is 0.94 mbps. For me and most people download speed is way more important. It's for streaming videos, music, and downloading files and email. Upload is what you send out, i.e. outgoing email.

I only subscribe to Insight's internet service. My phone is internet based (Vonage) and I get my movies via the internet (& my Wii) via Netflix. I'm heavily dependent on the internet and so far I am happy with Insight.
Thanks for the info. Totally forgot about Vonage. Might have to check that out! Broadband vs DSL - doesn't matter to us. We don't watch alot of streaming videos and we don't download or upload much. Email is web based, so never a problem. So price and dependability is our main concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I have had a lot of terrible experiences with both AT&T & Insight. Both should be run out of town, but if I had to have only one choice, I would go with AT&T for consistant "uptime".
Thanks Tom. We were worried about the "uptime" of Insight ourselves.

"Supposedly" the bill was fixed, and w/o me having to talk to a supervisor. But there was no bogus promise that "this will be the last month this happens to you" bull hockey from the AT&T representitive. I've talked to this lady before. Starts out being Mrs. Smith, then when she finds out I'm not going to yell at her - because it's not HER fault so why wold I yell at her? - she changes her name to Mrs. Graham. So another month with AT&T. We'll see what next month brings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area