Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 07:39 AM

9 posts, read 36,043 times

Advertisements

Hi- considering a move to Louisville, but access to alternative health care practitioners or holistic medicine providers is extremely important. This includes veterinarians as well as doctors for humans. Also, are there stores where organic, free-range, and/or properly-fed livestock meats, eggs and milk are available? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 07:44 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Bardstown road has several holistic healers but as far as vets, I dunno. There is also a Rainbow blossom organic store here and a Wholefoods market. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2007, 08:00 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,023 times
I remember holictic veteranarians having a convention here in Louisville recently.
http://www.ahvma.org/associations/4062/files/ahvma%202006%20conference%20brochure%20-%20Final.pdf (broken link)

I did a quick search and came up with these:

Welcome

featherhawk essences for Holistic Animal Care

VetCity - Veterinary Associates Stonefield (http://www.vetcity.com/index.html - broken link)

I don't know any of them and don't make any recommendation, but it shows you that there are holistic vets in this area. I'm sure there are more.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:15 PM

17 posts, read 60,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M030604 View Post
Hi- considering a move to Louisville, but access to alternative health care practitioners or holistic medicine providers is extremely important. This includes veterinarians as well as doctors for humans. Also, are there stores where organic, free-range, and/or properly-fed livestock meats, eggs and milk are available? Thanks!!
We're looking at the Bowling Green. Does anyone know about the availibilty of organic foods in this area? How about Whole Foods or other "healthy" food markets.

TX2TN

Old 06-13-2007, 04:11 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX2TN View Post
We're looking at the Bowling Green. Does anyone know about the availibilty of organic foods in this area? How about Whole Foods or other "healthy" food markets.

TX2TN
No. The only Whole Foods in the state is in Louisville. Louisville has several other independent organic and whole foods stores as well. If I recall, I think BG does have a very small natural foods shop near campus, but BG is a very small town so you won't find much of anything there specialty retail wise except the basics and a basic mall. BG is a nice quaint college town though, if you can do without the bigger city amenities.

Louisville also has Wild Oats, and is about to get 3 Trader Joe's. The city is the only in the state with Costco as well. Louisville will be the main city in the state if you are looking for holistic doctors or vets.

SUSAN MAIER , DVM
HORIZON VETERINARY SERVICES
7021 SHELBYVILLE RD
SIMPSONVILLE , KY 40067
Phone: 502-722-8231
Fax: 502-722-8231

Welcome

Above is an example of one holistic vet located in the east exurbs of Louisville. Simpsonville is a quaint bedroom community 25 minutes from downtown Louisville, and 10 minutes from major shopping in eastern Jefferson County.

As stated above, the holistic vet society held their convention in Louisville last year, so I don not know if that means anything.

By far the largest city in the state (but no where near a big city like Houston), Louisville will have the most organic marts and holistic healers and people enjoying those things.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M030604 View Post
Yes, there are plenty. Too many for a list. May I give you a referral for another web board where there are food experts? Louisville is becoming nationally known for its "foodie" scene, and the people on this board LouisvilleHotBytes :: Index are very knowledgable. You won't find any other city in the state or many cities anywhere near Louisville's size with such an active food and restaurant forum. It is super easy, fast, and free to sign up, and the people there can help you better than I can. That said, yes Louisville will have plenty of places to get all the goods and helath care you want.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:35 PM

9 posts, read 36,043 times
Thanks, everyone, for your input. I checked out some of the links, and I just now noticed the Hotbytes link - will definitely look at that!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 5,267 times
Default Holistic Vet Owensboro, KY

Does anyone know of Holistic Veterinarian in or around Owensboro, KY. (42301 zip)? We jsut moved here from Orlando, FL and looking for this type of care for our dogs.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsdev View Post
Does anyone know of Holistic Veterinarian in or around Owensboro, KY. (42301 zip)? We jsut moved here from Orlando, FL and looking for this type of care for our dogs.
You may have to come to Louisville for it, but someone in the main KY forum may know of something in Ownesboro. Post there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area