U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-10-2010, 01:03 PM
 
14 posts, read 81,350 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hello friends! My husband and I are considering relocating from Grand Rapids, Michigan to Kentucky for his job. He will be commuting to Shepherdsville on a daily basis so we're looking for a nice neighborhood within a 30 minute drive. We're only interested in renting at the moment...(2 bedroom for less that $1000/mo.)

We're in our 30's, no kids but we have a dog. We enjoy an occasional drink or movie on the weekends and we like water sports/camping/hiking in the warm months. We enjoy piece and quiet but also prefer not to drive more than a half hour to get to the grocery store, restaurants etc.

Do any of the area's surrounding Shepherdsville sound suitable for us? I'd also love to hear your suggestions on decent apartment communities, town homes, duplexes for rent etc.

Thanks everyone!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2010, 01:23 PM
 
628 posts, read 1,917,196 times
Reputation: 513
oooh Zappos outlet--(ok yeah I know that doesn't help you in your search) but that is instantly what I thought of. Shepherdsville is not far from the south side of Louisville at all--why not just look there?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 08:28 PM
 
Location: U.S.
4,871 posts, read 5,872,044 times
Reputation: 2369
With a 30-min drive time, you can live a ways from Shepherdsville and still have a predictable drive to/from work. The best part of living in Louisville would be that you'd be traveling the opposite way of rush hour traffic. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods off of Hwy 480 (near the golf course) and hwy 44 (East of I-65).

If you're thinking of Louisville, here is a good map of Jefferson county with zip codes.
http://ksdc.louisville.edu/sdc/maps/zipcodes1.pdf (broken link)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 08:29 PM
 
24 posts, read 50,210 times
Reputation: 34
You'll have no trouble finding a rental apartment for under $1000 in Shepherdsville. But something to keep in mind, is that Shepherdsville is a smaller town, and there wont be as many apartment choices as you may be used to finding in a bigger city. I'd strongly suggest checking out the Housing section of craigslist: louisville classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events for a good idea of what rent costs will be, and many of the listings will have photos of the properties. That's how I found the house I'm living in.
As far as where to live, it depends on what you're looking for. If you want to be close to everything, then certainly Louisville would be a better option for you. Shepherdsville doesn't have a mall, I think that can often be a barometer for "whats in a town", that's not to say it's way out in the Boonies. Louisville is a 20 minute drive up I-65, so "everything else" is relatively close
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 09:31 PM
 
6,973 posts, read 15,096,612 times
Reputation: 3404
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullvector View Post
You'll have no trouble finding a rental apartment for under $1000 in Shepherdsville. But something to keep in mind, is that Shepherdsville is a smaller town, and there wont be as many apartment choices as you may be used to finding in a bigger city. I'd strongly suggest checking out the Housing section of craigslist: louisville classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events for a good idea of what rent costs will be, and many of the listings will have photos of the properties. That's how I found the house I'm living in.
As far as where to live, it depends on what you're looking for. If you want to be close to everything, then certainly Louisville would be a better option for you. Shepherdsville doesn't have a mall, I think that can often be a barometer for "whats in a town", that's not to say it's way out in the Boonies. Louisville is a 20 minute drive up I-65, so "everything else" is relatively close
This post makes Shepherdsville sound like its own town. It is but it isnt. Its main function is as an exurb of Louisville and is mainly a bedroom community. It is located in Bullit County. Of the entire Louisville area, this is the one that is the most stereotypical southern. Lots of accents, big trucks, and middle class homes and red brick subdivisions with high growth. The county is small geographically and should reach 100k in population in the next decade.

At 17 miles from downtown Louisville, it is at least 25-30 minutes from most parts of Louisville. Also realize that S. Indiana is a bedroom community to Louisville most most these areas would increase your commute past 30 minutes during rush hour. The south side of Louisville and Jefferson Mall, a very average mall and shopping area is 15 minutes north of Shep. If you like new and peaceful, you guys really have a very large area to look at. I would first just drive the city neighborhoods with a realtor of course. Check out downtown, the waterfront, bardstown rd, frankfort ave, etc. The worst thing is to move to the edge of the city and have no idea what is at its core--its soul.

For housing, I agree with using craigslist or getting a Bullit County realtor to help you. Tell them you would like to rent for a year but will definitely buy next year and you will have his ear. I'd also consider southern Oldham County, from around Goshen/Prospect to Crestwood and Pewee Valley, and I would look at homes off every exit off I-265 all the way to where it meets I-65. That is a large area but you will not do yourself justice without looking at that, and that is only around half the metro area. You will notice the homes, people, and culture change as you head south on I-265. Midwestern Louisville becomes decidely southern somewhere around Jeffersontown or Fern Creek.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 PM
 
Location: U.S.
4,871 posts, read 5,872,044 times
Reputation: 2369
There are some upper end neighborhoods in Shepherdsville (Hebron area and off Bells Mills) that far exceed what your dollar can fetch (both rentals and purchasing) when you compare with Crestwood/Oldham county area.

For practical sense, if the OP is working at Zappos (vs. the Geek squad - industrial area near Brooks), they I'd seriously recommend staying at or below I-64 when traveling up I-265 in order to keep within the 30 minute timeline. In case STX hasn't been back to Louisville recently, I-265 has really become a parking-lot during rush hour traffic with routine stop-n-go traffic the norm vs. due to an accident. I-71 is impassable between 4-6pm.

Shepherdsville is making a run at being it's own city. There is tons of new stores and the industrial park area is driving hundreds of workers south out of Louisville in order to avoid the 2.5% city salary tax. Between the new distribution/logistics warehouses near the new Lowes, the Geek Squad, Zappos, many employees are finding it beneficial to live where they work. What I've recently noticed is that in Shepherdsville, Taylorsville, and Mt Washington, the strip malls do not have nearly as many vacancies as those that are in Louisville.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 06:27 AM
 
6,368 posts, read 15,276,838 times
Reputation: 5924
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
What I've recently noticed is that in Shepherdsville, Taylorsville, and Mt Washington, the strip malls do not have nearly as many vacancies as those that are in Louisville.
We have a strip mall?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 09:26 AM
 
14 posts, read 81,350 times
Reputation: 12
This is all GREAT information you guys! Thank you!!! I'm compiling all of your suggestions and saving them for our next trip down. Keep em' coming!

Thanks again!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,824 posts, read 13,509,336 times
Reputation: 2145
Call Danielle Dugan with ERA. 502-664-7514 She lives and works in the area. A super-Realtor and a dear friend for over 10 years.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2010, 04:37 PM
 
6,973 posts, read 15,096,612 times
Reputation: 3404
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
There are some upper end neighborhoods in Shepherdsville (Hebron area and off Bells Mills) that far exceed what your dollar can fetch (both rentals and purchasing) when you compare with Crestwood/Oldham county area.

For practical sense, if the OP is working at Zappos (vs. the Geek squad - industrial area near Brooks), they I'd seriously recommend staying at or below I-64 when traveling up I-265 in order to keep within the 30 minute timeline. In case STX hasn't been back to Louisville recently, I-265 has really become a parking-lot during rush hour traffic with routine stop-n-go traffic the norm vs. due to an accident. I-71 is impassable between 4-6pm.

Shepherdsville is making a run at being it's own city. There is tons of new stores and the industrial park area is driving hundreds of workers south out of Louisville in order to avoid the 2.5% city salary tax. Between the new distribution/logistics warehouses near the new Lowes, the Geek Squad, Zappos, many employees are finding it beneficial to live where they work. What I've recently noticed is that in Shepherdsville, Taylorsville, and Mt Washington, the strip malls do not have nearly as many vacancies as those that are in Louisville.
I 265 can get a bit hairy, but always living inside I-264 I rarely used it. The problem is that it is only 2 lanes in each direction. Still, I never found traffic to be bad unless there is a wreck, which seems to happen often between the Preston and Bardstown exits for some reason. Of course, this s coming froma person use to traffic in Chicago, ATL, Miami, etc.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top