Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:25 PM

65 posts, read 140,124 times

Advertisements

O.k. so my husband has been working in L'ville for 3 months renting month to month while our kids finish the school year out in SC. We've sold our house and will be heading up north in 2 weeks. Our schools in our area now have smart boards in all the classrooms (no chalkboards at all). Does Jefferson county have schools with smart boards in classrooms at the 3rd grade level? Just curious cause I know its dictated which school the kids are assigned/bused to. any advice on things to do/camps etc for 8 yr old and 4yr old for summer would be helpful too. dance/gym recomendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 04:58 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emom975 View Post
O.k. so my husband has been working in L'ville for 3 months renting month to month while our kids finish the school year out in SC. We've sold our house and will be heading up north in 2 weeks. Our schools in our area now have smart boards in all the classrooms (no chalkboards at all). Does Jefferson county have schools with smart boards in classrooms at the 3rd grade level? Just curious cause I know its dictated which school the kids are assigned/bused to. any advice on things to do/camps etc for 8 yr old and 4yr old for summer would be helpful too. dance/gym recomendations?
Can't answer about "all" JCPS, but maybe if instead of buses, JCPS would buy smartboards, etc, then the balance of educational opportunites would become more balanced.

I can tell you that all Oldham County classrooms are smart board equiped.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:19 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Can't answer about "all" JCPS, but maybe if instead of buses, JCPS would buy smartboards, etc, then the balance of educational opportunites would become more balanced.

I can tell you that all Oldham County classrooms are smart board equiped.
Do smart boards really matter? I personally prefer the old school chalk boards. It just feels more like school. The kids will have plenty of time to waste time on high end computer stuff the rest of their lives, in our over tech saturated society.

That said, what evidence is there that JCPS does not have smart boards. I would be surprised if they didn't.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Do smart boards really matter? I personally prefer the old school chalk boards. It just feels more like school. The kids will have plenty of time to waste time on high end computer stuff the rest of their lives, in our over tech saturated society.

That said, what evidence is there that JCPS does not have smart boards. I would be surprised if they didn't.
Yes, they really do matter. I just had a teacher tell me how important they are in reaching shy, withdrawn children this past week.

I never said that JCPS doesn't have smart boards, I simply said that ALL Oldham County Classrooms at every level do. The teacher that confirmed so, did say that certain specialty classes may not be able to use them, but otherwise all classrooms do.

Btw, this isn't about kids using technology, its about educators using tools to reach across so many barriers to teaching.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:40 AM

When looking at an area to settle down--schools matter. My daughter has had 3 yrs at a school that uses smart boards in every classroom from kindergarten up. I might need to give more consideration to Oldham county. Still would love to find a new neighborhood with young families in the 300 range. haven't found any besides the east side of louisville. not alot of fun!

Old 05-24-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
When looking at an area to settle down--schools matter. My daughter has had 3 yrs at a school that uses smart boards in every classroom from kindergarten up. I might need to give more consideration to Oldham county. Still would love to find a new neighborhood with young families in the 300 range. haven't found any besides the east side of louisville. not alot of fun!
emom, what I fear you have failed to comprehend is that all of Oldham County is one community divided into a few subdivisions. It's a completely different kind of environment. There are plenty of the homes you are looking for here. There are 67 homes actively on the market priced $ 275000 to 325000, today.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
emom, what I fear you have failed to comprehend is that all of Oldham County is one community divided into a few subdivisions. It's a completely different kind of environment. There are plenty of the homes you are looking for here. There are 67 homes actively on the market priced $ 275000 to 325000, today.
We haven't ruled out Oldham county but really looking for a newer home or a completely remodeled home and definitely don't want huge sq ft. etc. I have looked through all mls listings and not sure about what I'm seeing so haven't ruled out Jefferson county either. We have gotten an acceptance for Norton for next year via the apt. we are renting month to month. Our thinking is Springhurst, Lake Forest, or possibly Oldham county but don't want to be too far out. We'll see I'll keep you posted. . .

Old 05-26-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
We haven't ruled out Oldham county but really looking for a newer home or a completely remodeled home and definitely don't want huge sq ft. etc. I have looked through all mls listings and not sure about what I'm seeing so haven't ruled out Jefferson county either. We have gotten an acceptance for Norton for next year via the apt. we are renting month to month. Our thinking is Springhurst, Lake Forest, or possibly Oldham county but don't want to be too far out. We'll see I'll keep you posted. . .
Norton Elementary is less than 1000 ft to the Oldham County line. You should find that all classrooms at Norton likely have smart boards. Again, I live 5-10 minutes to the intersection of I-265 and KY 22. Norton Commons is about 3-8 minutes to same intersection.

If JCPS would guarantee you Norton for all of your child's education, I would find that to be perfectly acceptable.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,987 times
Back to the original question, most are. You have to remember that JCPS is a mmmmuuuuuuucccccccchhhhhhh larger school district, so it will take some time for them to get the money to equip all schools.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnabelinky View Post
Back to the original question, most are. You have to remember that JCPS is a mmmmuuuuuuucccccccchhhhhhh larger school district, so it will take some time for them to get the money to equip all schools.
Jnabelinky, Whaaaaaaaaat? Somehow, you have been drinking some pretty disturbed water. Jefferson County spends just about the same money per child per year as Oldham County. It's just that so much of the JCPS money is required to be spent on bussing and building security.

Again, I don't know how every classroom is equipped in Jefferson County, but the excuses for wasting childrens' formative years must end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area