U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,214 times

Advertisements

My husband recently started a job in Carrollton, and we're having a hard time finding a place to live. We're selling the house we're moving from, so we definitely need to rent until our house sells.

Ideally, we'd like to find a house with a fenced yard (we have two small dogs) for around $1000/month somewhere within 30 minutes of Carrollton. Is this in any way realistic? We certainly don't need a single family home or a yard (we currently live in a townhouse with no yard whatsoever), and we're flexible on the distance from Carrollton. We're less flexible on our budget since we expect to be paying both rent and our mortgage for a few months.

Can we realistically expect to find what we're looking for, or do we need to readjust our expectations? Where should we be looking? My husband works 12-hour days so he doesn't have much time to look, and I'm still living across the country until we have somewhere to move to (with the dogs and an infant, I don't think I can live in a motel room). So this has not been an easy process.

Is the rental market there really as tight as it seems? Eventually we'd like to purchase a home somewhere in Oldham County, and I'm not sure that it wouldn't make more sense for me to wait until our house here sells and then just buy a house out there before I move.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 12:20 AM

4,825 posts, read 13,584,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO816 View Post
My husband recently started a job in Carrollton, and we're having a hard time finding a place to live. We're selling the house we're moving from, so we definitely need to rent until our house sells.

Ideally, we'd like to find a house with a fenced yard (we have two small dogs) for around $1000/month somewhere within 30 minutes of Carrollton. Is this in any way realistic? We certainly don't need a single family home or a yard (we currently live in a townhouse with no yard whatsoever), and we're flexible on the distance from Carrollton. We're less flexible on our budget since we expect to be paying both rent and our mortgage for a few months.

Can we realistically expect to find what we're looking for, or do we need to readjust our expectations? Where should we be looking? My husband works 12-hour days so he doesn't have much time to look, and I'm still living across the country until we have somewhere to move to (with the dogs and an infant, I don't think I can live in a motel room). So this has not been an easy process.

Is the rental market there really as tight as it seems? Eventually we'd like to purchase a home somewhere in Oldham County, and I'm not sure that it wouldn't make more sense for me to wait until our house here sells and then just buy a house out there before I move.
We might have something that would work for you in LaGrange. When will you need it?

Old 05-29-2010, 07:48 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,087,866 times
For $1,000 a month, you can easily find a home to rent with a fenced year - particularily with an acre or two; at least with a 1/2 acre. Just a quick search turned up homes in the $600 - $800 range with 1/2 acre + lots in Milton and Bedford (but they are in Henry county).

The News-Democrat News, Sports, Entertainment and information for Carrollton and Carroll County, Kentucky look in upper right corner for 'classifieds' and then search 'real estate rentals'.

Bedford and Turner Station (also Henry county) are close by but to get to Oldham county, LaGrange is right at a 30 minute drive. Best thing about Carrollton is that it's halfway between Cinci and Louisville. If you find a place, even a rental, and it's close to I-71, expect to pay a little more in rent or selling price.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
We might have something that would work for you in LaGrange. When will you need it?

As soon as possible. But, as I said, we do have a lot of flexibility if it means we find something affordable.

Thank you!

Old 05-29-2010, 06:29 PM

171 posts, read 354,989 times
You will be able to find something in that area for that price range. It's rather bucolic around Carrollton and if you are used to 'society' then you have the right idea. That's tomocox's neck of the woods. He's a wonderful resource, use him.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:45 PM

4,825 posts, read 13,584,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkennedy View Post
You will be able to find something in that area for that price range. It's rather bucolic around Carrollton and if you are used to 'society' then you have the right idea. That's tomocox's neck of the woods. He's a wonderful resource, use him.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I do try to help people, but it's a very hard job in our current economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area