Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:30 PM

18 posts, read 86,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Why, because of the pet ordinance? There is no doggy patrol in Louisville. In theory, the pet ordinance is stupid, I agree. But will it affect the average pet owner? No way. I walk my dog downtown everyday and even let him run at river road parks. No problema

What is the pet ordinance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 05:57 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
I found this on the internet - it is supposed to be one of the drafts of the pet ordinance - does anyone know if all of this passed? I have never seen anything so completely ridiculous and I don't even own a pet. I agree that pet owners need to pick up their dog's **** and dogs need to be on leashes in public places but is all this other stuff really necessary? Here is what I found - wondering how accurate it is:

What YOU should know about Louisville’s Revised 8th Draft of

the Animal Control Ordinance

1) There is no grandfather clause. If you currently own more dogs than are permitted for your lot size (No more than 3 dogs if you have .5 acres or less). If you’re over the limit, you are out of luck and out of compliance.

2) All unaltered (spayed/neutered) dogs must be in an enclosure that has been *approved in writing* by the Director of Louisville Metro Animal Services.

3) If you trail ride in the park, you must carry with you a "suitable device for the picking up, collection and proper sanitary disposal" of any manure dropped by your horse. Further, you must actually dismount, collect said manure, and dispose of it while maintaining control of your horse.

4) Vets are required to turn over their rabies shot records to LMAS so that dogs which got a rabies vax but not a license can be impounded.. They are also required to notify their clients of the provisions of this 94+ page ordinance.

5) All unaltered dogs must be microchipped. (There are new studies out that show a link between microchips and cancer, by the way--several of them.)

6) If you show your unaltered dog, and travel with it for more than 3 days, you must notify the Director as to the change in location of your unaltered dog.

7) If you sell, give away, or board (yes, board) your unaltered dog, you must notify the Director.

8) You may not purchase an unaltered dog without the written permission of the Director.

9) Revaccination/relicensing requirement for all dogs/cats removed from a kennel or cattery at any time.

10) Prohibits use of invisible fencing for unaltered dogs.

11) Mandates spay/neuter for any unaltered dog that is impounded for any
reason before the owner can reclaim the dog.

12) If any of your animals (not just dogs) “irritates” or “perturbs” anyone twice within a 5 year period, you will be forced to give up ALL of your animals and will be prohibited from owning animals again for 2 years.

13) Prohibits ownership of ANY animals by anyone who has two violations within 5 years-no matter how minor.

14) Requires reporting of all sales of all dogs, with buyers name & address to be sent to MAS, even if buyer is not local.

15) If you have more than one unaltered pet, of any species, then you will need a $300 Animal Dealer’s license to sell any offspring of your current pets. This includes gerbils, mice, ferrets as well as dogs and cats.

16) Every time you pick up your dog, cat, or ferret from a kennel—even a boarding kennel, you must get it relicensed and revaccinated against rabies!

Old 06-25-2007, 07:28 PM

My wife and I will be there next week to search for housing. Some comments have been helpful, but I still could use some help.

I would like to rent a 3 bedroom/2 bath home for about $1000 or less. I have been places at around 1100 to 1200 which we could make it work, but I really don't want to. Does anyone have any ideas on where to look for something in this range?

Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
There are many nice areas - few people here are going to know of rentals...that you need to look up on the internet or contact a realtor when you get to Louisville. Here is a search I did for house rentals:

house rentals loc: Louisville, KY - Google Maps

A good realtor or property management company will give you recommendations for available rental houses in nice neighborhoods. You can also look in the newspapers when you get to Louisville.

Last edited by Cattknap; 06-25-2007 at 09:14 PM..

Old 06-25-2007, 11:01 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
There are many nice areas - few people here are going to know of rentals...that you need to look up on the internet or contact a realtor when you get to Louisville. Here is a search I did for house rentals:

house rentals loc: Louisville, KY - Google Maps

A good realtor or property management company will give you recommendations for available rental houses in nice neighborhoods. You can also look in the newspapers when you get to Louisville.

I know of some EXCELLENT rentals and of course the best areas. The renter needs to specify urban or suburban, old rehabbed or new, price range, bedrooms, amenities, etc. Do they want to walk to restaurants and nightlife?

Old 06-26-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I know of some EXCELLENT rentals and of course the best areas. The renter needs to specify urban or suburban, old rehabbed or new, price range, bedrooms, amenities, etc. Do they want to walk to restaurants and nightlife?

Stx, you have provided some great information and we could use your help.

It does not really matter whether the area is urban or in the suburbs....we probably would like to be near downtown. Old or new doesn't matter as well as long as it is nice and not run down. We would like to rent a 3/4 bedroom and 2 bath home with a yard and appliances. A basement or den would be a nice addition as well as a fence. I would like to spend $1000 or less a month, but will go up with the right place. Walking to restaurants and other activities would be nice. We are an african american couple so we definitely would like to be somewhere that represents true "southern hospitality" and not the "we don't like you/you are lower class/we will give you less service" areas that tries to make minorities feel uncomfortable. Safety is also one of our biggest issues...we want to be able to sleep at night and not worry about breakins.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,795 times
Most people that I know that live in Indiana, but work downtown, have their children in private schools, but the commute is quick without an accident on the bridge. Otherwise, I don't know much about Indiana. With that in mind, living in downtown Louisville is a mixed bag. Louisville is going through a huge urban renewal push in the downtown area, especially against the waterfront. Warehouse conversion to loft apartments. Smaller boutique shopping is available more toward the Bardstown Rd area. Louisville Downtown Management District might be a good resource. Louisville Downtown Management District Another might be contacting the Louisville Metro Crime Analyst Unit (502) 574-7134. As a government entity they try to be politically correct, but if asked they can give you a snapshot of the crime stats of the areas you'll looking at, or given your income, point you in the direction of areas you might be interested in. I called them during my last move inside Louisville to get a better picture of some of the downtown areas that I recognized by name and reputation, but hadn't really hung around at night. One area I thought was fine, in fact was OK during the day, but at night turned out to have a drug problem with the accompanying property crime. I thought they were a big help. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2007, 08:36 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Northern, I like your screen name but can you tell me what it means?

Old 06-26-2007, 11:42 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandljoy View Post
My wife and I will be there next week to search for housing. Some comments have been helpful, but I still could use some help.

I would like to rent a 3 bedroom/2 bath home for about $1000 or less. I have been places at around 1100 to 1200 which we could make it work, but I really don't want to. Does anyone have any ideas on where to look for something in this range?
I would first start out my looking at craigslist:

Brick Colonial in Quiet Highlands neighborhood (http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/352869525.html - broken link)

Above is an example of an excellent Highlands home and location, but it is a bit out of your desired rent range.

I would search Old Louisville (UofL area), downtown, the Highlands, Crescent Hill, and parts of St. Matthews. You can check craigslist daily to get a feel for what areas look like. Next, you can take a visit to the city and the best way to find a good place is simply to find a street you would like to live on, and check out the for rent signs in front yards. I can give you some excellent street references for this if you want. Stay clear of large apartment complexes with online ads owned by national companies. These are usually overpriced and overplayed.

For diversity, Old Louisville is among the best compromise for ethnic and social diversity while being well located. Crime is a minor issue in Old Louisville, with mostly car break ins and some corner drug activity in parts, but most is not noticable or a danger to the average person.

That said, I really would not worry about racial issues anywhere in the urban area. No one really is going to care if you are an African American couple versus Indian or white, etc.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:32 AM

7 posts, read 16,276 times
Highview in the 40219 zip is a very safe, affordable, family-friendly area. It also offers easy access to I65 & I265.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area