Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 03:16 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times

Advertisements

Hi, folks. Not too long ago, the folks at TXDOT have gotten together to plan for the state's and Lubbock's future, and they are proposing a new outer loop around Lubbock in the years to come. Right now, they are seeking input from residents and business leaders in the area. There is no timetable on the road, with lots of scenarios being presented at this time, but nothing is final. What's necessitating this is the growth in the city's west and south sides. At present, a possible Phase One includes part of the outer loop (or, as I prefer to call it, a beltway, but that's not important now) being planned to go from U.S. 84 in the southeast near Posey around the south and west sides to end up at Shallowater on U.S. 84 in the northwest. That's what we know now.

Those of you who live out there have probably seen many houses being built south of FM 1585. Right of way will definitely be needed in that area before any more new development takes place if this outer loop is to happen. All you West Texans out there, we'd like to hear your thoughts on this proposal. Let's toss this ball around a little bit on this.

Here's one link for you: New study shows outer route or "loop" is needed - KCBD, NewsChannel 11 Lubbock |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 05:18 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Those of you who live out there have probably seen many houses being built south of FM 1585. Right of way will definitely be needed in that area before any more new development takes place if this outer loop is to happen. All you West Texans out there, we'd like to hear your thoughts on this proposal. Let's toss this ball around a little bit on this.
Since Lubbock is primarily growing to the south it sounds like smart planning to me. If they go ahead and address the right of way issues now they'll be able to build a new outer loop if needed later on. If they never need to build it, they can always yield that right of way back over to developers at some point in the future.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Since Lubbock is primarily growing to the south it sounds like smart planning to me. If they go ahead and address the right of way issues now they'll be able to build a new outer loop if needed later on. If they never need to build it, they can always yield that right of way back over to developers at some point in the future.

I always say "Never say never." Smart planning means being prepared for later on. If built, this expressway would be the only one of its kind in West Texas. The key is for Lubbock's leaders to act now and not wait, making sure that they can at least get the right-of-way set aside. This will help future development in the planning and zoning. Obviously, there has to be feedback and studies for an eventual final route done, too, but I'm confident they'll get it squared away. Lubbock can be in a great position by getting one step ahead in their planning.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:49 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
It's an interesting idea. It's good that they're planning ahead, but check me as "Let's not get ahead of oursleves." The southern portion (which will most likely go on the FM 1585/130th Street corridor) will be need to be developed soon, but the western portion (which will most likely be on the Research Blvd corridor) isn't needed in the slightest, and won't be for many years. Even then I'm not sure the southern portion will even need to be a full-blown freeway (it will be canceled if it "needs" to be a tollway). I think something like a divided parkway with the capacity to be easily converted to a freeway is the way to go.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
It's an interesting idea. It's good that they're planning ahead, but check me as "Let's not get ahead of oursleves." The southern portion (which will most likely go on the FM 1585/130th Street corridor) will be need to be developed soon, but the western portion (which will most likely be on the Research Blvd corridor) isn't needed in the slightest, and won't be for many years. Even then I'm not sure the southern portion will even need to be a full-blown freeway (it will be canceled if it "needs" to be a tollway). I think something like a divided parkway with the capacity to be easily converted to a freeway is the way to go.

Well, you know that I like to dream, Westerner. Now, TXDOT isn't ruling out a divided highway with at-grade crossings, traffic signals, and, in some cases, flashing beacons. That is certainly a possibility, but they still need to have a wide right-of-way just in case. I do share your concern about the freeway being a toll road, but even if an expressway gets on the agenda, they'd have to build feeder roads for them. The likelihood if that happens is the feeders would be built first. Don't be surprised if all you see for years are feeder roads with no expressway built right away.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
just expect this to be a toll road sooner or later

Old 07-22-2010, 12:45 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Just speaking from personal experience, most Lubbockites will probably go out of their way to avoid a tollway. When TxDOT tried to make Marsha Sharp a tollway, most people took the stance of make it free or don't make it at all.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:54 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,419 times
Since theres no money for new roads in the Txdot budget, great job Perry, you can be guaranteed they're pushing this idea precisely because it will be a toll road. When was the last time Txdot said 'gee we'd like to give you some great new free roads!'.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
That's if an expressway is finalized. There's still a chance it could just be a divided highway with at-grade crossings and signals, and those usually don't get tolled. All the planning is still very early right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Just speaking from personal experience, most Lubbockites will probably go out of their way to avoid a tollway. When TxDOT tried to make Marsha Sharp a tollway, most people took the stance of make it free or don't make it at all.
I'm sure there'll be resistance to tollways, too, but that's happened in the larger cities, as well. If, in the next few years, the government decides to actually give TXDOT federal funds (and other funds, too), then that could change the course of action for construction. I emphasize could. Personally, I would not be opposed if it did become a toll road (Can you just imagine a West Texas Tollway Authority?), but I can understand the concerns of locals. It's not any different from anywhere else. In this early stage, I don't think Lubbockites have that much to worry about.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:50 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,419 times
Once again, TxDOT chief says: No money for new construction by 2012 | DALLAS TRANSPORTATION Blog | dallasnews.com

Its been made quiet clear the Txdot chairman specifically said "Once again, TxDOT chief says: No money for new construction by 2012". Doesnt get much clearer than that. So whatever Txdot is proposing here will be toll 100%.

The only way new roads are getting built anywhere in the state is because localities are diverting money earmarked for road maintenance for new roads or issuing bonds to build basic infrastructure.

If the status quo is maintained there will be no money for basic infrastructure building from here to eternity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock