U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,268 times

Advertisements

Due to a job transfer my wife and I will be moving to Lubbock. We checked it out a month or so ago and we determined it would be fine since it likely will only be an 18-24 month stay. Despite the fact we are both from big cities (she-Chicago, me-Boston/Miami) we both would like to rent in a quiet area. In speaking to some people from the area it's been brought to my attention that the city will soon be flooded with college kids and the chances of a quiet nights sleep will severely diminish once the college football season starts. Any information on nice quiet apartment or townhouse areas? Also, is there a significant Vietnamese population in Lubbock?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 08:11 AM

3,895 posts, read 7,207,148 times
The only places that might be noisy with college kids are the neighborhoods closest to Tech, and even then, they're pretty quiet most of the time. The quietest parts of town would probably be in the SW part of town.
I know a couple of Nguyens and there's a decent restaurant on 50th, but there isn't much of a Vietnamese population here so much as Chinese and Korean.
Good luck with your move. Hopefully you guys will be able to adjust a much smaller city.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:14 AM

2,111 posts, read 3,373,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18bosox View Post
the chances of a quiet nights sleep will severely diminish once the college football season starts.
Yeah, if there's a big win over a marquee opponent, that night might be noisy. I'd imagine it's somewhat similar to the Red Sox sweeping the Yankees at Fenway (though maybe not that bad). Otherwise, it shouldn't be much of an issue if you're away from the Tech campus. This year, there's really only one marquee opponent coming to Lubbock (on September 18th), so you may want to go out of town that weekend if you're really concerned about it.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Status: "Snow recovery mode. Power back for now." (set 23 hours ago)

50,411 posts, read 40,549,542 times
Just come on over. We've got a seat saved for you.

Here are a few links for you:

Lubbock, Depot District - Restaurants, Nightclubs, Bars, And A Micro Brewery

Ruby Tequila's Mexican Kitchen - Fresh Tex-Mex in Houston, Lubbock, and Amarillo.

www.littlepandattu.com's home (http://www.littlepandattu.com/restaurantweb/499/015/jin_e/ - broken link)

Llano Estacado Winery - Wine as Big as Texas

Cagle Steaks

http://www.fortunecookielubbock.com/

Enjoy!

Old 08-12-2010, 09:07 AM

3 posts, read 5,989 times
Lubbock is pretty quiet. The Tech students aren't too bad. For apartments, there are several nice around the mall and south side of town, which is where you would likely want to stay. Not too many Vietnamese, there there are 2 Viet restaurants and 1 grocery store. Many Chinese. 50% Hispanic.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:13 AM

687 posts, read 1,440,716 times
I lived in southwest Lubbock for three years and you could hardly even tell if there was a football game going on at Tech. Lubbock isn't THAT small of a city. If you want to rent either a house or apartment away from the college crowd, look in southwest Lubbock. There should be plenty of choices that are reasonably priced.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:36 AM

12 posts, read 21,337 times
You don't say when you will be moving to Lubbock, or for what reason, but friends are correct. Living near campus in a rental, or anywhere college students congregate can be difficult. Moderator cut: see comment
There is a fairly large Phillipino population here, but the Vietnamese population is a mystery. You could contact Texas Tech's Multicultural Center, and they would be able to help you.

Last edited by Bo; 10-20-2010 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: See my DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock