U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:40 PM

4 posts, read 7,019 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone:

I've accepted a job at Tech and will be moving with my husband and two cats at the end of Dec. Next week, my husband and I are coming down from Illinois to look for a place to live. Since we have one car, and would like to keep it that way, I'd ideally like to find some place near Tech or along a bus line. We're looking for something with at least 900 sq ft, house or apartment. Quiet neighbors is a must. Any suggestions of decent somewhat affordable (no more than $800/mo with utilities) near TTU and away from unruly student partiers?

Also, can anyone give me an idea of some utility bill totals? I know that total bills will vary due to a number of factors, but any ballpark estimates would be great (electric/gas/water/trash, etc.).

Any other info you'd like to share that you think would be helpful to a newcomer is also welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 09:30 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,174,464 times
I dont know much about your specifics but Lubbock is just a decent-sized town in the middle of nowhere.I live in Midland about 2 hours south of Lubbock and I like to go to Lubbock. You are literally hours and hundred of miles away from any major city.Also, Amarillo is about 2 hours north on Interstate 27.I love Loop 289 in Lubbock because its a full loop.I wouldnt mind living there but i wouldnt want to because of the cold winter but since your from Illinois that aint gonna be no problem one bit for u.It may take some getting used to being out in the middle of nowhere for you but I've been living in West Texas for 17 years so Im used to it.Hope this helps.Best of luck.
-Westerntraveler

Old 11-28-2010, 09:40 PM

2,125 posts, read 3,390,574 times
Bring some rain/snow with you. It looked somewhat dry this weekend.

Here is a list of the bus routes:

Citibus | Lubbock Transit Authority

Old 11-28-2010, 10:05 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,488,828 times
For $800/month with utilities in the summer you wont get 900 sq feet and you wont get away from students. You need to up what you spend or settle for a low rent student type apartment.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:06 PM

3,970 posts, read 7,268,146 times
Most areas near Tech will probably have college kids; however, the Tech Terrace neighborhood (bound by 19th, University, 34th, and Indiana) just across the street from the campus seems like it would be a good fit. The neighborhood residents usually keep the parties under control, and overall, it's a nice area. There are a few also "trolley" lines (actually just small buses stylized like trolleys) that go along Flint and Boston into Tech. You might also want to look into the areas to the east and west of Tech Terrace. There should be plenty of decent places in your price range all around town, but they probably aren't very conducive to one-car households.

Here's a map of the bus routes. It isn't the best system, but some people (including my brother) manage to work it out. Unfortunately, there are only two lines that go through Tech.
http://citibus.com/documents/4440d02a598d3dbf.pdf

I can't really comment on the utilities all that much, but to my knowledge, Lubbock has some of the cheaper electricity rates in Texas, but water is a little on the expensive side because of the relative scarcity (though it usually only makes a noticeably difference to those who over water their lawns). Lubbock overall has a very low cost of living.

Good luck with your move!

Old 11-28-2010, 10:08 PM

3,970 posts, read 7,268,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
For $800/month with utilities in the summer you wont get 900 sq feet and you wont get away from students. You need to up what you spend or settle for a low rent student type apartment.
Not really. You can get something for that price range that doesn't have students, but they just aren't that close to Tech.

P.S. You might could look north of the mall where there are quite a few apartment complexes and have bus lines that go through them.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:01 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,842,401 times
Unless you are wanting to walk to campus, it's really not necessary to live all that close to it to get there quickly - Lubbock streets are laid in a very simple, easy-to-navigate north/south/east/west pattern, traffic is not bad, and you can get several miles from home to campus in a short time. Just try to live west of Ave Q for safety purposes; the further south/southwest you go, the newer and safer the neighborhoods are. 19th St. is the south edge of campus.....I lived just off W. 34th St and could get home from campus for lunch in 5-8 min., a few minutes longer after work during the 'rush quarter-hour.'

Best wishes on your move....hope you enjoy working at Tech as much as I did....

Old 11-30-2010, 01:15 PM

149 posts, read 323,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmpopp View Post
Hi Everyone:

I've accepted a job at Tech and will be moving with my husband and two cats at the end of Dec. Next week, my husband and I are coming down from Illinois to look for a place to live. Since we have one car, and would like to keep it that way, I'd ideally like to find some place near Tech or along a bus line. We're looking for something with at least 900 sq ft, house or apartment. Quiet neighbors is a must. Any suggestions of decent somewhat affordable (no more than $800/mo with utilities) near TTU and away from unruly student partiers?

Also, can anyone give me an idea of some utility bill totals? I know that total bills will vary due to a number of factors, but any ballpark estimates would be great (electric/gas/water/trash, etc.).

Any other info you'd like to share that you think would be helpful to a newcomer is also welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

$800 a month in Lubbock is quite doable. Lubbockonline.com is the electronic version of the Lubbock Avalance. There's also craigslist. Being near a busline is gonna be tough. Lubbock is a car mobile kind of town.

You're going to love Lubbock! Welcome!

Old 11-30-2010, 01:16 PM

149 posts, read 323,851 times
Within Walking Distance to Texas Tech! (http://lubbock.craigslist.org/apa/2087527697.html - broken link)

Check out this apartment and price...close to TTU.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:39 PM

79 posts, read 187,640 times
Let me know in a few months if you still need a place to live. I'm rehabing my house now with the intent of getting out of Lubbock asap. I'm disabled and live on a fixed income from SS. My home is paid for but the city is reaming everyone with insanely high utility bills now. You can't escape them since they are using FEES on top of rates. In some cases the fees are higher than the usage. We have a runoff fee that is being used to fix streets and build up new areas of town so the developers don't have to spend their money. I've lived here for 29 years now and have seen a total takeover by a certain family and all those who will do their bidding for them. They just spent $87M to buy the only competing electric company and didn't even have the financing figured out before the purchase. I'll be moving a scant 20 miles north and will pay 1/3 in utilities less than I do now here in Lubbock. I can still go to Lubbock for shopping and since I don't spend any money on entertainment other than my puter and Netflix, I'll be ahead because of the savings in utilities. This used to be a wonderful place but with Tech and the McD's running every aspect of the city, anyone not cowing to the powers is being pushed out. Best of Luck and email me if you need a place to live in another 6 months time as my place will be up for sale. I live exactly one mile south of TT on a direct bus line to the campus, in what is quickly becoming the new tech ghetto thanks to the McD family and our corrupt mayor who does whatever they ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock