U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 PM

5 posts, read 18,458 times

Advertisements

Our family might be moving from Houston to Lubbock soon. We have sons who are a sophomore in high school and a 6th grader. Our oldest plays football and is involved with FFA. Our youngest plays baseball, football, and basketball. Can anyone tell me which school district is preferable? Lubbock ISD or Frenship ISD?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,959 times
Go with Frenship or Lubbock Cooper, Not Lubbock ISD. Frenship is a little larger, but not as big as LISD. Frenship is constantly ranking high both in academics and sports. LUbbock cooper ranks high in academics---football, not good or bad. Frenship and Lubbock cooper are big FFA schools since they are smaller than LISD. Lubbock cooper is on the south side of town...Frenship is on the west and southwest sides. Growth in lubbock is from south to southwest.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:10 PM

3,880 posts, read 7,193,437 times
Academically, I don't think you can go wrong with any high school (and the schools within their feeding pattern) in the Lubbock area except for Estacado and, to some extent, Monterey, so you shouldn't have worries there. Another thing to consider is that it can be fairly easy to transfer into and within Lubbock ISD, but Frenship and Cooper can be more difficult in that aspect because they're rapidly growing districts with limited space for transfers. Both Frenship ISD and Cooper ISD are set to open new middle schools next year.

You might also want to look into Lubbock-Cooper ISD (the district for anything south of 98th). They have great schools overall, and I believe they have a good FFA program as well. Being a smaller school district, your younger son may be able to participate in all his sports.

Coronado and Monterey are the only schools with FFA in LISD, and I personally wouldn't recommend Monterey because it's academics can be a little substandard compared to the other high schools in the area. Coronado has good athletics in addition to its academics, but since it's a 5A school, it can be pretty competitive to get on the varsity teams if that's a big deal to you. Lubbock High is by far the best school academically in West Texas, but it doesn't have FFA or very competitive programs in the sports you're sons are involved in.

That said, I think Coronado, Frenship, and Cooper (and their feeder schools) would probably be the best fits for your family. All three seem very similar academically, athletically, and demographically; they are just different sizes, being 5A, 4A, and 3A respectively (though Frenship and Cooper might move up a class soon).

Good luck with your decision.

P.S.: None of the middle schools in Lubbock have baseball, so you'd have to find a club for your younger son until he gets into high school.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:58 PM

Thank you for the feedback. Moving a 16 yr old who has gone to school with the same kids since Kindergarten is very challenging. The 12 yr old will adjust just fine, but I'm not so sure about our oldest son. Our youngest son currently plays baseball through Little League, and would play Pony in the 7th grade. He also plays Select. Any good reccomendations for club baseball?

Old 02-05-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareahouston View Post
Thank you for the feedback. Moving a 16 yr old who has gone to school with the same kids since Kindergarten is very challenging. The 12 yr old will adjust just fine, but I'm not so sure about our oldest son. Our youngest son currently plays baseball through Little League, and would play Pony in the 7th grade. He also plays Select. Any good reccomendations for club baseball?
Unfortunately, I'm not too knowledgeable about baseball here because it's the one sport that I didn't get around to playing. But I do know that Western Little League placed third at the Little League World Series a couple of years ago. Southwestestern Little League also seems to do well. I don't really know enough about the clubs to give any recommendations, sorry.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 AM

Any advice on how to find a rental home in Lubbock? I am used to har.com, our houston association of realtors' incredible website. I haven't found a website for Lubbock real estate that is as comprehensive.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareahouston View Post
Any advice on how to find a rental home in Lubbock? I am used to har.com, our houston association of realtors' incredible website. I haven't found a website for Lubbock real estate that is as comprehensive.
I don't think there's a comprehensive website like that for Lubbock realtors, unfortunately. You'll probably just have to do a bunch of site jumping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
View detailed profiles of: