Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2007, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,723 times

Advertisements

I am a currently living in upstate NY and am looking to move to Texas after I graduate, in May-08. I am taking a trip to Lubbock at the end of this month. I have been doing research like a madman. My idea is to use Lubbock as my launchpad for my new career. I am looking to get the experience, further my education and find a place to settle down. My short term goals are:

1) seek first time employment as a newly graduating Registered Nurse with some of the following benefits
a- relocation package
b- tuition assistance program of some sort
c- love to find a sign on bonus
2) begin my bachelor's in nursing, most likely at Texas Tech.

In the time it takes to complete my short terms goals I should have an idea if Lubbock is where I want to take root for an extended period of time. So far the only rub in my plans is the more I research the more I feel like Lubbock is very isolated. In NY I can move or commute 1/2hr-1hr on way or another and have a new set of opportunities. When making the plans for the Lubbock trip I didn't not consider that it might not be the same way there. So as I did more research I extended my plans and have added a pit stop In Midland/Odessa area. When looking into schools and hospitals in the MO area it looks drastically less opportunistic. I have expanded my search to San Angelo and other places but the more I search the further my destinations seem to be. I have only 11 days in Texas and I have to use the time efficiently. I can't spend all the time traveling around Texas, while I need to be visiting schools, hospitals and such. It would be great if I fell in love with Lubbock and my plans came to fruition. I am not banking on it though and that is why I planed this trip and all its research. Now I feel like I need to take a step back and reassess the options and surrounding area.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated. I leave Saturday morning.
Thanks -e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 12:20 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,647,507 times
It is doubtful you will fall in love with Lubbock! But there are over 200K people here who find it tolerable enough to stay. It is called the Hub City because it is the only sizable city in the South Plains. Texas Tech is an amazing and wonderful university system, more like a small city within a city. There are several large hospital systems here as well. The people very friendly, but drive like madmen, especially on the dreaded Loop. Economy is good, housing relatively inexpensive, as is the cost of living. Gas only 2.83/gal (ha!). It is VERY flat and windy here, so get ready. I have cut my hair short for that. I haven't seen much "culture" here, in the way of entertainment, cruising cars is a past time.

You can check the CD site for crime stats, but I don't feel unsafe here given the size. I don't go out at night alone though. Sadly the downtown area appears to be a semi ghost town. Fairly nice mall here. There are all the basic shopping needs, even a cute little health food store. There is Barnes&Noble, and several Starbucks shops. The nicer areas out south of town. Weather, lots of wind, but drier and at more of an elevation than other parts of the state. (Though this year lots of rain!). Cold and windy in winter, but not as bad as up north. That's about it.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:20 PM

42 posts, read 210,778 times
I am retired... living in Lubbock one year now. We were living in Maryland for 5 years before we moved here. Lubbock has about 230,000 population and is growing a LOT. A building boom is going on. 4% unemployment and LOTS of medical jobs here and expanding. There are many people that require lots of medical facilities (retired folks) and this population is growing because of the great weather and LOW cost of living. Ther is a HUGE medical center being built just a few block from our house and there already is a fine hospital downtown . Yes, Lubbock is kind of remote. (Amarrillo is two hours north) but everyting we need is here and the people are GREAT! Very friendly.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:37 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,388,380 times
you cannot beat the benefit package with TEXAS TECH..woohoo GO RED RAIDERS!
you will get 100 percent tuition reimbursement.
now, RN's in West Texas and Panhandle are the lowest payed in the State of Texas but you can live very cheaply there if you are determined.
i dont believe you will find any sign on bonuses or relocation reimbursement in the West Texas/Panhandle areas.
i know what i am talking about. i am an RN from Texas, right now suckered in on a deal in South Texas with big money-big sign on, big relocation reimbursement, high salary, but that does not make one happy. i hate South Texas. ashamed that it is considered part of my great Lonestar State.
would rather work for 10/hour less in Lubbock or Amarillo than live here. (which by the way would be the difference in my salary)
let me know if you need specific info.
p.s. i am an ER RN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock