Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 04:22 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,204,174 times

Advertisements

What was actually wrong with the NTSU appellation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 12:08 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,988,880 times
I didn't say anything was wrong with the NTSU name. Rather, the school showed consistency in simplying it to the current UNT, in contrast to SwTSU in San Marcos that had a name that was a geographical misrepresentation and changed it to a name - TSU - that to my mind misrepresents the importance of that university in the overall context of state universities in Texas (you might think it was the rival to UT-Austin).

I suppose the name change from NTSU to UNT was meant to sound grander, if not more grandiose.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:55 PM

I agree that the TSU name is a bit misleading. And I will always think of UNT as NTSU first, since that is what it was during nearly all of my time there. (Perhapa they think the grander appellation helps justify the huge increase in tuition.)

At one time, I thought about becoming a meteorologist. I found that the closest school with a meteorology degree program was Texas Tech. I looked over a degree program for it, and I couldn't even understand the course descriptions...very heavily into mathematics! I would have had to take math courses for two or three years just to have a chance in the program. That was a real eye-opener for me.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:26 PM

I think Tech may have a tradition of requiring quantitative methods courses to be taken/offered in the Mathmatics Dept rather than in the various science departments. For example, when I was an undergrad, the Psychology BA at Tech required a statistics course within the Math Dept, whilst UT-Austin's Psychology Dept offered their own Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences course at the undergrad level (I don't know what the situation was for graduate statistics courses required of Psych grad students at Tech, but elsewhere most universities offer these courses at graduate level within the Psych Dept, rather than students taking them from the Mathmatics Dept). I have no idea what they're doing at Tech in that regard these days.

The NTSU label always sounded "friendlier" and more familiar to me too than UNT. Although my grad degrees are from TCU, my dissertation director decamped to NTSU while I was finishing my dissertation work and another mentor at my internship site was on faculty at NTSU, so I had a sort of second hand academic relationship with the university in the days when it was still NTSU. The UNT label, by contrast, always feels a bit alien and distant to me. A bit like NTSU was little Denton, while UNT is the huge Metroplex.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
The NTSU label always sounded "friendlier" and more familiar to me too than UNT...A bit like NTSU was little Denton, while UNT is the huge Metroplex.
That's the way I feel about it myself! Although Denton isn't so little any more. It had traffic problems of its own now, being over 125K in population. Not at all like it was in the good old days!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:18 AM

308 posts, read 638,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
OK, in fairness, Tech may be fine for certain science-related degrees and actually some of its science graduate degree programs seem to be quite favourably looked upon. I wouldn't, however, want to get a degree in the liberal arts or the fine arts from Tech. These degrees simply aren't going to be very highly thought of by most people, at least outside West Texas. Education degrees are probably a safe bet because most people don't really care where those come from: they're primarily credentials for teaching or administration at the elementary or secondary levels. The Law School at Tech is nationally known for hiring a lot of right wing cranks such as Alberto Gonzalez. It's academic rigor may be fine, but a law degree from Tech is unlikely to serve one well for employment with more highly competitive,nationally known law firms or for an academic law career. Even the veterinary medicine program at Tech is regarded as strictly second rate in comparison to the world-class program at Texas A&M. A friend of mine who started her veterinary degree at Tech and then transferred to A&M confided to me that at A&M she felt that she was "actually getting an education" in her degree program (not to mention that when we lived in London we had the experience of sophisticated lab studies on one of our cats being sent all the way to A&M for analysis).

Tech is strictly a second or possibly third tier state institution. UT and A&M are obviously in first place. The University of North Texas (the former NTSU) is in the second rank, as is University of Houston. Tech seems to fit in a little higher than Texas State University, Lamar, Stephen F Austin, and the like.

The quality of teaching in many programs at Tech is quite adequate. Some of my mentors in my internship days had done their PhDs in clinical psychology at Tech and were quite competent. However, there is a problem in terms of how the university is generally regarded outside of some particular science fields. I'm quite happy to have an undergraduate degree from the University of Texas. I really wouldn't have felt proud to have that degree reflecting the Texas Tech "brand". I'm actually happier with the University of Texas "brand" on my BA than I am with the brand on my two graduate degrees.

Hate much?

Old 08-06-2011, 05:09 AM

4 posts, read 8,843 times
Wowwwwwww I thought I had come back to 4 pages of advice but it turns out its just this doctorjef guy ranting

Old 08-06-2011, 08:18 AM

You consider that a rant? You really don't know what constitutes a good rant!:rolleyes

Old 08-07-2011, 11:09 PM

4 posts, read 8,843 times
bump for moar

Old 08-08-2011, 09:57 AM

437 posts, read 926,112 times
Here are a couple of articles that might make the OP feel good about their choice:

Texas Tech named 2012 Fiske ‘Best Buy School' Texas Tech named 2012 Fiske

[LEFT]Wall Street Journal Survey Ranks Texas Tech as a 'Top Pick for Corporate Recruiters' Nationally
Read more: Top 25 Universities for Corporate Job Search - CBS MoneyWatch.com
[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock